[Warm] Samsung U28D590D 4K/60Hz $599 Shipped NCIX

jolli

Gawd
I've been staring at this for about 30 minutes wondering if it is worth selling my U3011 for, but can't make my mind up. If you're less gun shy than I am, perhaps this is for you. It has free shipping at NCIX as well. At $599, it seems to be well below Ebay prices and this is the USA version.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/index.php?sku=95635

Samsung U28D590D does use a 4K TN panel, but it supposedly is decent and runs at 60Hz over DisplayPort.

Tempting but I don't really think this is a good idea for my gaming mitx PC.

Tempting but I don't really think this is a good idea for my gaming mitx PC.

Probably a prudent choice!

I imagine you'd want at least two graphics cards (if not more) to game at this resolution.

Panel Type: TN

Stopped reading there. >_>

Haha yeah I know what you mean. This quote at the end of the following review is what got me:

"When we processed these results we were reminded of the Samsung SyncMaster PX2370 from 2010, which was also a TN monitor of above average quality. We awarded that monitor a Gold Award at the time, and for this Samsung we do the same. It may still be a while before you'll find it in the stores, but that gives you some time to save up." See http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5269/11/samsung-lu28d590d-review-4k-becomes-affordable-conclusion

I owned three PX2370's (which I paid an absurd $300 for each) and ended up giving them all away when I bought an IPS screen. So despite them giving it a Gold Award, it actually deterred me from impulse buying.

Anyways... I guess if you want a taste of the 4K goodness, this is probably the cheapest fix.

What bugs me is that I don't think that TN's necessarily have to be that much less expensive than IPS/PLS. The Qnix's showed us that the panel isn't actually that expensive (1440p for 280-300$, at a time when competitors were charging 2.5-3 times as much). Of course it's hard to compare because there weren't any 1440p TN panels that I can think of at the moment. Is it just faster to set up manufacturing for TN? Why aren't we seeing any 4k IPS 60Hz yet? Or AUO (or whatever that other panel is).

I'm not certain but I believe my new QX2710, either because of the change from 60Hz to 96Hz or the massive brightness increase in comparison to my old Acer TNs (despite turning it way down), caused a migraine within one day of setting it up and using it, which resulted in what sounds awfully like a persistent migraine aura that I still have almost a week later. Now, it could just be coincidence and I actually have some sort of other condition, but I switched back to my old TN a couple days ago to see if it made a difference and I am starting to feel better I think. It's not a good feeling to have: brain fog (lightheaded, dizziness, feeling "out of it"), visual snow, double vision, tinnitus, etc.

My point is that TN isn't bad at all especially if calibrated properly. This newer screen technology may have negatively affected me and might negatively affect you too.

IPS/PLS (well PLS is newer, but let's face it it's basically a clone of IPS?) is not that new of a technology. Conceived in the late 1980's in its earlier forms. And yeah I'm not sure about your condition. I can confidently say that I haven't had it since I've had this Qnix for a year or so. I think mine even uses PWM dimming (because I can see some flickering when I turn it to its absolute lowest brightness setting), and even that hasn't bothered me.

As for brightness, I'm not sure what you're on about. They're not that bright if you turn the brightness down (unless the newer panel they're using in the Qnix's is different).

And really out of all of the stuff I listed I think the only thing that could cause your condition is PWM dimming, or a fault in the backlight (unless you have some really bizarre condition...). That doesn't have anything to do with IPS vs TN. Does your old Acer use CCFL lighting by any chance?

$100 cheaper than amazon was before they sold out of their preorders.

I'm not certain but I believe my new QX2710, either because of the change from 60Hz to 96Hz or the massive brightness increase in comparison to my old Acer TNs (despite turning it way down), caused a migraine within one day of setting it up and using it, which resulted in what sounds awfully like a persistent migraine aura that I still have almost a week later. Now, it could just be coincidence and I actually have some sort of other condition, but I switched back to my old TN a couple days ago to see if it made a difference and I am starting to feel better I think. It's not a good feeling to have: brain fog (lightheaded, dizziness, feeling "out of it"), visual snow, double vision, tinnitus, etc.

My point is that TN isn't bad at all especially if calibrated properly. This newer screen technology may have negatively affected me and might negatively affect you too.

Sorry you've had this experience :(

I had been getting daily headaches for a couple weeks there and I was really suspicious of the Turbo240 mode (backlight strobe) on my monitor. I have since started using the function only for certain activities and not 24/7.

But I think I actually figured out what it was that was causing my headaches and it's totally unrelated. Taking Claritin D seems to have been the underlying cause. It was making me clench my jaw. Might suggest thinking out of the box or going to the doctor if the headaches continue.

Probably a prudent choice!

I imagine you'd want at least two graphics cards (if not more) to game at this resolution.
Yeah my Apple Cinema Display seems fine with a GTX780 but I think that's the most i'm willing to push go. Older games like SC2 i'm assuming can handle 4K with my setup but no BF4 or anything like that.

Well I ordered one. I want a 16:9 screen for games (really just Diablo 3) and I'm curious about 4K. If this is a bust, I'll just have to sell it locally at a loss. Probably peddle that 32GB of RAM i just received to help cover the expense :p

You can't turn the physical brightness of the qnix down, if you do that will induce PWM. You need to keep brightness on MAX on the actual display and then turn the brighness down in your GPUS color section....thats how you get around the PWM and stay headache free. I have brightness set to -100 in CCC with gamma upped a little to compensate for the color difference

You can't turn the physical brightness of the qnix down, if you do that will induce PWM. You need to keep brightness on MAX on the actual display and then turn the brighness down in your GPUS color section....thats how you get around the PWM and stay headache free. I have brightness set to -100 in CCC with gamma upped a little to compensate for the color difference

Actually I think that some Qnix's are PWM free. It seems to be random. I believe NCX mentioned that his was PWM free. Then another reviewer he knew wasn't. Again, seems to be random. I just turn the physical brightness down on mine, because I don't think it affects me.

Ah, I definitely was at 6 clicks from the minimum physical setting. Once/if I get all the way better I'll try this suggestion and use proper calibration software/tool rather than relying on a premade ICC profile. Otherwise, I fear I'll have to sell it or give it away if I get those side effects again. :(

Since everyone complains about TN, how long can we expect for 4K IPS/PLS panels to drop in price to the same price a TN 4K panel is today?

If it's no earlier than 2020, then it's probably a good idea to get this one now instead of waiting if you only have no more than $700 to spend and want to save some money.

If you have $1400 (plus extra for tax and shipping), get the 28-inch Dell.

If you have $3500 to $4000 to spend, get either the 32-inch Dell or ASUS 4K panel.

Picked one up - at $600 total for a 4k 60hz display it's hard to pass up. Also, while this is a TN panel this a very good TN panel based on the reviews.

The only problem is now I need a better gpu :p

Since everyone complains about TN, how long can we expect for 4K IPS/PLS panels to drop in price to the same price a TN 4K panel is today?

If it's no earlier than 2020, then it's probably a good idea to get this one now instead of waiting if you only have no more than $700 to spend and want to save some money.

If you have $1400 (plus extra for tax and shipping), get the 28-inch Dell.

If you have $3500 to $4000 to spend, get either the 32-inch Dell or ASUS 4K panel.

check Amazon, you can get the Dell 32" for ~ $2350 now. It was available at Newegg for lower that than recently ($2249) but I had issues with the display so returned it.

Give it a year, 30" IPS 4K will be available for around $1000-1200.

check Amazon, you can get the Dell 32" for ~ $2350 now. It was available at Newegg for lower that than recently ($2249) but I had issues with the display so returned it.

Probably true, and they'll probably have the kinks worked out by then (plus HDMI 2.0 / DP 1.3).

At that point, I'll sell this one for a massive loss and start all over again. :eek:

A 30" non 4K IPS monitor costs that today and prices on 30" monitors have barely budged over the past several years. In January 2006 the Dell 3007 had a launch price of $2,200, in April 2013 the Dell 3014 had a launch price of $1,500. Factor out the loss of buying power of a dollar over the time period and you get a few hundred dollars price difference in 7-1/2 years. But, I'm sure IPS 4K monitors will somehow buck the trend within the next year.

A 30" non 4K IPS monitor costs that today and prices on 30" monitors have barely budged over the past several years. In January 2006 the Dell 3007 had a launch price of $2,200, in April 2013 the Dell 3014 had a launch price of $1,500. Factor out the loss of buying power of a dollar over the time period and you get a few hundred dollars price difference in 7-1/2 years. But, I'm sure IPS 4K monitors will somehow buck the trend within the next year.

Yep, I know this, I bought my 3008WFP around 5 years ago. The reason 4K displays will buck the trend is due to economies of scale. TV manufactures are beginning to shift their entire lineups to 4K panels, and we are going to see even more of a push in 2015. 2560x1440 and 2560x1600 panels are still very niche - for the most part only enthusiasts or professionals buy them.

Back