Warm: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB 32MB 7200RPM $96.99 FS NR!

3 platter drive. Price is close to neweggs, but no FS. A lot of people report dead drives and failed drives. I think I'm going to wait for a caviar black 1TB drive to hit $100 out the door.

thats weird, because samsung makes great drives, never had an issue with em.. maxtor, sure, but never had a samsung die on me. F1s are pretty fast too..

Not a bad price. How does Samsung compare w/ the usual suspects (WD, Hitachi, Seagate, Maxtor)?

I really like samsung drives, I have 2 x 320GB's, 1 x 500GB, and 1 x 1TB. They are all super quiet and seem to run much cooler to the touch than the seagates I have.

I had a 4 year old samsung die on me. One morning the hard drive was clicking and no boot.

I've had 2 and they worked perfectly. I've also had 2 WD BE 1tb and the WD is a little quicker

Um, no. The Hitachi is $95 before rebate, $85 after. The samsung is $97 with no rebate available.

But the Hitachi only has 16 MB cache, whereas this Samsung has 32 MB. I don't know how much of a real-world performance upgrade 32 makes over 16, though.

I actually bought a Samsung F1 1TB for my HTPC as a recommendation from Silentpcreview.com. It is quite without the sacrificing of speed. Check the review out at their website, Awesome drive!

But the Hitachi only has 16 MB cache, whereas this Samsung has 32 MB. I don't know how much of a real-world performance upgrade 32 makes over 16, though.

wouldnt it hinder the speed of larger file work+transfers? although who knows how noticible it'd really be "real-world"..

got a pair of 1tb samsungs, i think they're fine. a bit on the warm side for my likings, but that was only after i had consolidated all my backups onto the drive. great price though.

Can save a few bucks at ewiz $92 shipped, limit one, 3% MS Live cashback under the name SuperBiiz. Last week it was $90 shipped, ewiz seems to change their prices almost daily.

[QUOTE="I'm not a crook";1033687522]3 platter drive. Price is close to neweggs, but no FS. A lot of people report dead drives and failed drives. I think I'm going to wait for a caviar black 1TB drive to hit $100 out the door.[/QUOTE]

Are you basing that on newegg reviews? Because all drives from newegg seem to have above average doa/failure rate, I'm guessing due to the way they pack and ship them. I've had failures from WD, Seagate and Maxtor before Seagate bought them, and I also have 5-6 yr old drives from WD and Seagate. Still I don't have high expecations on hard drive reliability.

That being said I bought 6 Samsung F1 750gb drives from the summer and into the fall, quiet for drives and so far none have failed, but it wouldn't suprise me a couple did.

wouldnt it hinder the speed of larger file work+transfers? although who knows how noticible it'd really be "real-world"..

Yeah, I guess benchmark tests comparing the 16 MB to the 32 MB cache would give an indication of real-world performance. My gut feeling is it wouldn't make a noticeable diff.

Back