Warm ?Samsung - 60" Class - Plasma - 1080p Vertical - $847 NO MIR

i got a panasonic 50in for 1200 last year but its probably better quality then sammy.

0_O
I would hope 4 hundred extra got you a little better 0_O
51 inch for 1200 is way over priced for a 51 inch in any category.

This is about value for 850 bucks.

Get me a 60 inch for this price or better please.

I find this a fine deal

How is this not quality?
Plasma has superior quality over an LCD.
Blacks look much better.
LED LCD oooh eee, overpriced brightness.

I believe this samsung has problems with noisy power supplies, it buzzes. I had a friend who had that problem and returned it. The 2 hdmi ports i not a problem, if you are not running a receiver into this thing you are wasting it.

The good thing is that because it is best buy you can just buy away and if the noise occurs on your set you can exchange it, or return it.

Also it appears sears is matching this price, or best buy is matching sears who knows so you can grab it from which ever place is closer or has stock.

You get what you pay for, I mean... $800 for a screen this size is good and all on the cheap, but the 530 series is the lowest 1080p capable display on their list this year.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0075814YQ

I'd spend a bit more cash if possible

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Being the lowest doesn't not always mean much, for instance panasonic puts their latest screen into their lower end S series, nothing wrong with that all you lose is all the electronic garbage you do not need anyway. Smart TV functions, inputs etc... All that stuff will be out dated in a couple years anyway beyond the stupid lag it often ads and increases the cost.

Being the lowest doesn't not always mean much, for instance panasonic puts their latest screen into their lower end S series, nothing wrong with that all you lose is all the electronic garbage you do not need anyway. Smart TV functions, inputs etc... All that stuff will be out dated in a couple years anyway beyond the stupid lag it often ads and increases the cost.

You get what you pay for, I mean... $800 for a screen this size is good and all on the cheap, but the 530 series is the lowest 1080p capable display on their list this year.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0075814YQ

I'd spend a bit more cash if possible

Yeah but samsung only puts its best screen in its top lines. Like last year the 7000 and 8000 had the same screen. The 7000 just didnt have a "filter" on top.

I have a 65" D7000 plasma.

I love it. I haven't had any problems with buzzing. If the tv is off and I go stand right next to it I can hear a small buzz, but if any volume at all is on, I can't hear anything.

Regardless, $800 for a 60" Samsung plasma is pretty good. As long as you are not a hardcore image quality guy, you'll be fine.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Indeed, in addition... Lower end models like e550 aren't even full 1080 res, and lack some filters, which is why I made those statements. (SmartTV and the like is useless for most of us I'd say, with HTPCs)

But, I do agree, unless you're a videophile, this won't even be noticed.

I bought this TV 2 months ago and am very pleased with the picture quality and I'm sitting only aroud 10ft from it. In the store it was on display right on top of the $2k Panny 60" and I could not tell any real differences between the 2 in fact the Samsung looked slightly sharper to me and my wife.

Indeed, in addition... Lower end models like e550 aren't even full 1080 res, and lack some filters, which is why I made those statements. (SmartTV and the like is useless for most of us I'd say, with HTPCs)

But, I do agree, unless you're a videophile, this won't even be noticed.
:confused:

I bought a 550 last month, 51". It's not full 1080p? Price has dropped $50 since then. :mad:

Just always keep a plasma upright.

Good luck with that. I bought this TV 2 months ago and have a Infinity QX56 which is probably one of the largest SUV's out there and there was no way it was fitting inside upright. I laid it down glass side face up and drove an hour home. No problem.

Last time I bought a TV was a 68cm 60hz 480p CRT for 1k. This seems an alright deal.

Edit: I lie. My parents bought.

These are steal! Ignore the TV snobs. This thing will work great and I'd rather have a 60" very good TV than a 50" excellent TV. I bought a "low end" Samsung back in 2008 (42" for $900) and its been great. Great picture quality and works just fine. This 60" is on my wish list for my tax refund.

Good luck with that. I bought this TV 2 months ago and have a Infinity QX56 which is probably one of the largest SUV's out there and there was no way it was fitting inside upright. I laid it down glass side face up and drove an hour home. No problem.

It's called a truck. Huge SUV's are for suckers IMO. :p No more useful then a smaller hatchback, 3x the lifetime cost and none of the usefulness of a truck.

And Plasma > LCD anyday for picture. Watch the power consumption however if you leave them on a lot.

It's called a truck. Huge SUV's are for suckers IMO. :p No more useful then a smaller hatchback, 3x the lifetime cost and none of the usefulness of a truck.

And Plasma > LCD anyday for picture. Watch the power consumption however if you leave them on a lot.

Agreed!

Trucks > SUV's and plasma > LCD. :D

Originally I always thought that laying a plasma TV down was about breaking the glass. But later I found out thats really not the problem. Apparently you get micro fractures between the substrate and glass and this can cause the tv to have an audible buzz that comes directly out of the front of the TV. So if at all posssible be very careful transporting a plasma and keep it upright, if you cannot do this I would say lay it on its back side, or try to tilt it. You wont see anything but if you hear a buzz return it right away and get another one.

Power consumption on plasmas is higher but really people blow it out of proportion the estimated yearly cost for this one is $21, so ya lay off 2 McDoubles a month and you will lose weight and be fine while having a huge awesome TV. For comparison I looked up a random 60 inch LCD on BB and it was $18 / year. I am sure that $3 difference is really going to break peoples bank.

Last edited:
Went to Nebraska Furniture Mart to see if they had this model. Nope.

Did end up getting a 60" LG Plasma for $863...could not tell a difference in picture quality with all but the extreme top of the line models there nor my 42" Viera at home. Extremely pleased, and I know I would have been with this Samsung, as well.

Went to Nebraska Furniture Mart to see if they had this model. Nope.

Did end up getting a 60" LG Plasma for $863...could not tell a difference in picture quality with all but the extreme top of the line models there nor my 42" Viera at home. Extremely pleased, and I know I would have been with this Samsung, as well.

Some of the 60 inch Samsung plasmas are Pentile displays... I believe this E530 model and the E550 are Pentile. The 60 inch LG 5500/6500 is generally a much better pick because of this.

Last edited:
Some of the 60 inch Samsung plasmas are Pentile displays... I believe this E530 model and the E550 are Pentile. The 60 inch LG 5500/6500 is generally a much better pick because of this.

Interesting. The model I bought was the LG 60PA6500. Did a search to try and determine if it's RGB-strip or PenTile, but I couldn't find anything.

Back