Warm? R9-295x2 $799.99 after $30 MIR

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.... eyahh....

If I wanted to spend that much on a gpu setup right now...
2x GTX970's

These drop in prices certainly signify new tech on the horizon. Apparently AMD is about to drop a bunch of 8GB 290x cards for the 4k community (there's only 1 out there right now, a 290x Vapor-X that is UK only).

If the price point is low enough on the 290x refresh, I would definitely pick up a pair of 290x 8GBs over 2 970 4GBs for higher res displays.

I've preordered a 4870x2 and had a 5990. Both of these units died within months after their 3 year mark. Very disappointing, never investing such a big chunk of change again.

Must resist to next gen cards...

Seeing it in action, this is one really nice quality card.

I considered it for my HTPC. I really did. But I think the power requirements are going to keep me away.

I used to run 5760x1080 on a single 290 non x playing bf4 on medium and I don't think I ever broke knocked on 4gb. is going to 8gb really necessary gain over 4gb?

Apparently AMD is about to drop a bunch of 8GB 290x cards for the 4k community (there's only 1 out there right now, a 290x Vapor-X that is UK only).

Really? Source? Because that wouldn't make any sense, since AMD just posted layoffs and replaced a CEO before 3rd quarter earnings.

Do you know how small the market for 8GB cards really is? I can't see a company restructuring itself while building its next R9 300X series for a February launch, just making 8GB last gen cards for now. The whole having to tape out, then go production thing, takes time. And AIB companies get their cards from the same TSMC as everyone else. Well unless GloFo did pulled a rabbit out of its hat. :rolleyes:

I used to run 5760x1080 on a single 290 non x playing bf4 on medium and I don't think I ever broke knocked on 4gb. is going to 8gb really necessary gain over 4gb?

You can't put a price on the e-peen of not having to go down one tick on that AA or texture slider! :p

"Necessary" no, it just matches console vram with uncompressed textures.

Edit: AMD does already have 290x 8gb cards, so it's no biggie for them to have other AIB release their versions. Their firepro has 16gb if they wanted to.

Really? Source? Because that wouldn't make any sense, since AMD just posted layoffs and replaced a CEO before 3rd quarter earnings.

Do you know how small the market for 8GB cards really is? I can't see a company restructuring itself while building its next R9 300X series for a February launch, just making 8GB last gen cards for now. The whole having to tape out, then go production thing, takes time. And AIB companies get their cards from the same TSMC as everyone else. Well unless GloFo did pulled a rabbit out of its hat. :rolleyes:

http://www.maximumpc.com/amd_rumored_relaunch_radeon_r9_290x_8gb_gddr5_memory_2014

These drop in prices certainly signify new tech on the horizon.

I don't know man. I kinda think it just means they got caught with their pants down with the GTX 970 and 980 and had to slash prices because the 970 almost makes the 290x obsolete at $350 so they had to bring everything down to that level or they wouldn't sell anything.

I'm sure AMD will answer and swap places just like every cycle but for now they had to cut prices by nearly half just to be competitive because Nvidia knocked it out of the park with the 970/980 cards.

290x's can be bought for ~$250 right now, in fact there's a guy on here selling 6 windforce gigabyte 290x's for $240 shipped each. Why buy a 295x2 when you can get two of those for $300 less?

Granted it's a new card that used to be $1000 so it's not bad but I feel like us here at [H] have better options.

290x's can be bought for ~$250 right now, in fact there's a guy on here selling 6 windforce gigabyte 290x's for $240 shipped each. Why buy a 295x2 when you can get two of those for $300 less?

Granted it's a new card that used to be $1000 so it's not bad but I feel like us here at [H] have better options.

Link to new? I don't do used/FSFT because of too many bad experiences. Ebay.....maybe.

Guess its official, they are coming out with an 8 gig 290x.

http://overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/msi_announces_8gb_r9_290x_gaming_gpu/1

Some people need a single slot card.

Not saying they don't. Just that people seeing this thread should be aware of their options. Besides, if you afford a 295x2, you can afford an SLI board and 2 970's.

Last edited:
Not saying they don't. Just that people seeing this thread should be aware of their options. Besides, if you afford a 295x2, you can afford an SLI board and 2 970's.

But your 970 doesn't light up red as FUCK all over your case does it? Easily worth the premium.

I thought a 295x2 was 2 gpus total in a single card, splitting the 8G of ram?

Is it actualy 4 290x's ?

No, you are correct. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that.

Also, the prices are back up to $999 before rebates now. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back