Warm? Q6600 for 170 @ the egg! Free shipping!

Still no guarantees on G0 correct?
I'm going to need 6 here very shortly.

Dammit, to think I had bought the Q6700 only a week ago for $230 from TigerDirect

True that, but 170 is warm at best

hm? where are you gonna get a q66 for cheaper? i'm not trying to be snarky, just honestly want to know.

as an aside, i remember paying $400 for my x2 3800 and being super stoked about it. *sigh*

hm? where are you gonna get a q66 for cheaper? i'm not trying to be snarky, just honestly want to know.

as an aside, i remember paying $400 for my x2 3800 and being super stoked about it. *sigh*

You can't, I'm just saying that it's nothing special. It's like a 4850 for 155 bucks.... there is nothing special about that, now if the q6600 hit 145 or the 4850 for 129 then we're talking. Frys had the q6600 with mobo for 159 i believe not that long ago.

Put your money on the 45nm product.
- Better overclocker
- less heat
- more performance per clock

End of story...

45nm is only a better clocker IF your mobo can hit crazy fsb speeds, generally limiting you to p35/p45 chipsets. if you nab a q6600 and it's much higher mulitplier, you can clock fairly high on almost any chipset. so because of fsb limitations, the q6600 is generally the better clocker.

less heat? false. the added cache on the 45nms makes heat almost identical. the only exception is the q9300 and if you are overclocking, it's uber low multiplier = fail.

true, 5-15% better performance per clock on apps that support SSE4 already, which are few in number. are you willing to pay the additional 100+ dollars for that performance? most are not.

***almost forgot. as far as this being hot, if you oc, it sure is. 170.00 for a cpu that tends to hit 3.2 - 3.6 on air and has four cores, thats great bang for your buck.

bottom line, the 45nm chips are great, but are not worth the investment. you are better off nabbing a q6600 and holding onto the extra cash to put towards nehalem later on.

45nm is only a better clocker IF your mobo can hit crazy fsb speeds, generally limiting you to p35/p45 chipsets. if you nab a q6600 and it's much higher mulitplier, you can clock fairly high on almost any chipset. so because of fsb limitations, the q6600 is generally the better clocker.

less heat? false. the added cache on the 45nms makes heat almost identical. the only exception is the q9300 and if you are overclocking, it's uber low multiplier = fail.

true, 5-15% better performance per clock on apps that support SSE4 already, which are few in number. are you willing to pay the additional 100+ dollars for that performance? most are not.

***almost forgot. as far as this being hot, if you oc, it sure is. 170.00 for a cpu that tends to hit 3.2 - 3.6 on air and has four cores, thats great bang for your buck.

bottom line, the 45nm chips are great, but are not worth the investment. you are better off nabbing a q6600 and holding onto the extra cash to put towards nehalem later on.

I second that. Plus factor in that many motherboards cannot handle 45nm procs, so that probably means that this CPU will got the way of the socket 939 dual cores, aka retain its value MUCH longer than would otherwise be expected.

Btw, I'm figuring Nehalem will be EXPENSIVE. Considering DDR3 and no competition...

This Q6600 is still the quad to get by miles for price/performance. It clocks higher than most Q9450s, and costs way less.

I've seen it at 180 a lot in many places, $170 is warm!

170 is kinda warm. Fry;s has the combo for 179$ today. Q6600 and ECS mobo. Last time I checked all of Fry's Q6600's were G0

you know what? I'm gonna change my opinion on this. I think the free shipping makes this a pretty decent deal. After tax it would be rough at a B&M

you know what? I'm gonna change my opinion on this. I think the free shipping makes this a pretty decent deal. After tax it would be rough at a B&M

my thoughts exactly. my area lacks anything but a best buy, so fry's and microcenter deals are n/a. free shipping and no tax here, makes this hot.

Last year's technology....

Stay away.

don't tell anyone, but I drive to work everyday in 2 year old technology , all my cool friends buy new cars every year...no way they wanna get caught with last years technology...

I just got this deal from the egg. it is a G0 cpu, just like in the picture they use. Running 3.6 24/7 and cool to boot. the q9450 is a great cpu also. will do 3.6 if a good setup, but $100+ more money. I just sold my e3110 wolfdale cpu and bought this.

Back