Warm? OCZ Intrepid 3700 480GB SATA SSD "Certified Refurb" $90

Track Drew

Limp Gawd
Refurbished: OCZ SSD IT3RSK41ET5G0-0480 Intrepid 3700 Series 480GB 2.5" SATAIII eMLC 9.2mm - Certified Refurbished. - Newegg.com

Intrepid 3000 Specifications
OCZ Releases Intrepid 3700 Enterprise SSD

Specs:
Sustained Sequential Read: 520 MB/s
Sustained Sequential Write: 380 MB/s
Sustained 4K Random Read: 91,000 IOPS
Sustained 4K Random Write: 13,000 IOPS

NAND: Toshiba A19nm eMLC
NAND Controller: Marvell 88SS9187 with OCZ Enterprise Firmware

Power Fail Protection: Full in flight data protection for unexpected system power loss
Endurance: 1 DWPD
Original Warranty: 5 years
Refurbished Warranty: 90 days :(

The write speed and write IOPS aren't the best, but my math tells me that it should be good for about 856 TBW

The refurb warranty is better then the normal 30 days. Just don't know how worn these are out of the box.

I'm on the fence... Anyone have a good experience with refurb SSDs?

I just ordered a brand new crucial BX200 480gb for $99 about three weeks ago... would say the ~500gb deals for new are worth waiting for. Out of the 15 SSDs I've ordered (sandisk, samsung, crucial, intel), I've had 5 fail within a year. The warranty matters.

Friends don't let friend buy ocz refurbs, if you want a refurb go with crucial, otherwise I would just buy new.

I think the biggest selling point for me is the price delta between new and refurb. Frankly, I don't think I've seen a refurb'ed drive before that's discounted enough to give up the warranty.

For the example above, I wouldn't touch a refurb Crucial BX200 480GB until it hit around $50. Even then, you're still stuck with a TLC drive...

When refurbs get under half price is when things get interesting - or if they have a real warranty.

It looks like you can add an "extended warranty" to the purchase: 1 year for $7, 2 for $14. Dealing with 3rd parties like that is usually a pain though.

It's close to being interesting, but it's a gamble I'm not willing to take.

Last edited:
Pretty much that they were a past time and that they should be avoided at all costs nowadays. I'd buy cheap Silicon Power SSD's over them anyday

Whats the general consensus on OCZ?

OCZ is just a brand owned by Toshiba as of two years ago. They have a solid warranty now, and the newer drives produced by Toshiba are decent.

OCZ is just a brand owned by Toshiba as of two years ago. They have a solid warranty now, and the newer drives produced by Toshiba are decent.

This

OCZ of the past is gone but some people still don't realize, they just bring up the past.

Just a FYI - Bought a refurb OCZ Saber 960gb at newegg. Came in a brown box packed like new. No marks on the drive, no marks where the sata clip inserts. Drive registered as 1 power on and nothing written to it. I am convinced these are brand new that were "refurbed" to sell with a lesser warranty due to them not selling well.

Ive never had an issue with OCZ, even their older drives still treat me well. I have a 60gb one in a spare rig thats running fine.

Here with two flawless OCZ Vertex 4's for years now.

OCZ's older products had a lot of firmware issues if I remember correctly. The Vertex 3 and 4 line and up were all pretty decent drives if memory serves correctly. I know that the Vertex 4 was one of the best SSD's you could buy for a while there.

Friends don't let friend buy ocz refurbs, if you want a refurb go with crucial, otherwise I would just buy new.
Got a 500gb crucial m4 refurb a little over a year ago, and it's useless now :( Pretty much pegs 100% active time doing absolutely nothing. Let it sit powered up without the sata cable so it could garbage collect, but no help. Running TRIM straight up locks the whole system up (cursor and all) for 5+ minutes.

Raw ass deal :(

Got a 500gb crucial m4 refurb a little over a year ago, and it's useless now :( Pretty much pegs 100% active time doing absolutely nothing. Let it sit powered up without the sata cable so it could garbage collect, but no help. Running TRIM straight up locks the whole system up (cursor and all) for 5+ minutes.

Raw ass deal :(

On my Crucial MX100, when it started doing that same thing, the only thing that fixed it was running the Secure Erase function through their boot utility. I was getting ready to file a warranty claim and tried it on a whim, and it is running strong to this day. Give it a shot if you haven't already. It will erase any data on the drive, beware.

OCZ is fine, refurb on an SSD of any brand I would stay miles away from.

Aren't enterprise grade SSD superior to regular consumer SSDs by a long shot anyway?

Aren't enterprise grade SSD superior to regular consumer SSDs by a long shot anyway?

They are usually better but way more expensive, unless you have a need for one, then consumer drives are just fine.

The 3 I purchased were repackaged brand new drives. No stats and no scratches on gold fingers or case. They are dumping excess inventory and removing the warranties is what I am seeing. These are GOOD drives.

Really tempted to pick up one or 2 of these...

My Vertex 4 has been running solid for a couple years now no issue.

They are usually better but way more expensive, unless you have a need for one, then consumer drives are just fine.

Well yeah, that what I was getting at. These OCZ ssd's are enterprise grade ssd's. So $90 should be a killer deal for one.

I've owned a few OCZ sdd's in the past, none of which game me issues.

This

OCZ of the past is gone but some people still don't realize, they just bring up the past.

I think part of the reason why is the company didn't just go through ONE bad period, but several. They started off a legit memory company, changed to a shady vendor within 2 years, several people in management got into legal trouble as they got worse and worse for several years, then they were bought by a new owner, turned legit again for a while, then when SSDs became the next big thing they went into that market full force making some OK drives for about 6 months. They then turned shady again with high DOA rates, using REJECT grade flash chips in some of their product lines, refusing to deal with or even admit to firmware issues killing their drives. The company management then sold out to Toshiba to avoid several class action lawsuits for fraud and the way they handled warranties (sending out other dead SSDs out as replacements knowingly for example).

So it is true that OCZ has very little in common with the OCZ of the past. Unfortunately for Toshiba, a lot of us have very long memories and the $200 OCZ screwed me out of on a set of ram back in the day was enough for me to NEVER buy a damn thing with that brand on it ever.

And the stink of OCZ has tainted Toshiba.

If somehow a penny from one of my purchases made it back to those m/fers...

Back