Warm: Oculus Rift $600+tax with $150 BB Gift Card (Net $450)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone hear any rumors about when next gens will release? That's what I've been waiting for.

Anyone hear any rumors about when next gens will release? That's what I've been waiting for.
Years.

I'm hoping the Oculus dies soon and takes FB and MS with it. They aggressively lock everything down and are effectively shooting themselves in the foot instead of opening it up to encourage development. Typical M$.

I obviously own a Vive instead; and relieved I waited a bit to dodge a costly bullet.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Years.

I'm hoping the Oculus dies soon and takes FB and MS with it. They aggressively lock everything down and are effectively shooting themselves in the foot instead of opening it up to encourage development. Typical M$.

I obviously own a Vive instead; and relieved I waited a bit to dodge a costly bullet.
Not that either company is going anywhere, but what does MS have to do with Oculus?

I'm hoping the Oculus dies

I'm kind of the opposite as you. I see them lasting a long time. They've been a big catalyst in speeding up the industry-wide development and adoption of VR, likely to continue to be. Reason why I had to go Rift this gen, even though yeah big companies usually are monopolistic and greedy.

Not only that, but current top-end video cards aren't really able to push anything far beyond the resolutions we have now in VR.
That's not true.

There is a big difference between rendering Minecraft in 4K and rendering BF1 in 4K.

VR games will likely simply prefer higher resolutions, for clarity, over realistic graphics.

As you can see in this simulator, the difference between low persistence 4K and lower resolutions is still night and day even in such a simplistic game: http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/

So you may see more Nintendo'ish looking titles @ 4K high framerates in the near future for VR, than photorealistic ones we have become accustomed to in 2D.

And having used VR extensively with my Samsung Gear VR (which is just a mobile phone, so obviously super weak), I can say that VR itself makes things feel so much more real, that its not really a step backwards. I can play traditional horror games on an LCD no problem, but no thanks in VR... too real!

VR games will likely simply prefer higher resolutions, for clarity, over realistic graphics.

But you need both for VR and that's where one of technical challenges is. Just in my time since Christmas with the Vive, the more demanding titles really spin up the fans in my 1080s, at least one of them.

MS and Oculus made a deal to include the controller with the Rift. There was a big announcement about it prior to launch with Phil Spencer coming on stage to announce it as well as announce that they will be adding Rift support to the XB1 in the future (confirmed to be with Scorpio).

But that doesn't negate the point I was making about Xbox controllers having great support under Windows. Steam machines were using Xbox controllers before the Steam controller was ready.

But you need both for VR and that's where one of technical challenges is. Just in my time since Christmas with the Vive, the more demanding titles really spin up the fans in my 1080s, at least one of them.
Meh, I'm fine with playing Super Mario Galaxy, Job Simulator, Eve Valkyrie, and Half Life 2 type games @ 4K 120FPS in VR.

Can always take the headset off for other titles to play on my traditional 3K 34" ultra-wide screen.

Meh, I'm fine with playing Super Mario Galaxy, Job Simulator, Eve Valkyrie, and Half Life 2 type games @ 4K 120FPS in VR.

Like PC gamers have always demanded, they're going to want more than this because of the additional cost over other gaming platforms.

But that doesn't negate the point I was making about Xbox controllers having great support under Windows. Steam machines were using Xbox controllers before the Steam controller was ready.
Well, the original point was that MS and OR are partnered.

I'm kind of the opposite as you. I see them lasting a long time. They've been a big catalyst in speeding up the industry-wide development and adoption of VR, likely to continue to be. Reason why I had to go Rift this gen, even though yeah big companies usually are monopolistic and greedy.
I was all for the Oculus Rift when it was announced.
Then they announced the Facebook partnership and I cringed but endured it.
Then they announced there would be no touch on launch and they were partnering with M$ and using an Xbox 360 controller. That's when I ran away to the Vive.

If they partnered with literally any other two companies besides Monsanto's I would have probably still bought one, but that shit was like a punch to the face for me.

This is a good deal for what it is. I bought a rift and returned it, just didn't work for my style of gaming. I bought it for racing sims and the immersion is incredible, VR is the real deal, but part of being a good racer is looking down the road and being able to clearly see brake markers and what not and the resolution fo the rift was bad enough to convince me that NV surround is the way to go for now in racing sims.

Still a good deal on the headseat, but I'm waiting for Gen2.

Decent deal, but I'm waiting a while to jump on VR. Hell I havn't even jumped on ultrawide or anything like that because the barrier for entry when it comes to the hardware to run it at acceptable settings and framerate are still beyond my budget. Once more mainstream cards become powerful enough to drive the tech, I'll start looking at picking something up.

That said if I found a smoking deal on a DK2 I'd probably snag it just to try it out heh

but part of being a good racer is looking down the road and being able to clearly see brake markers and what not and the resolution fo the rift was bad enough to convince me that NV surround is the way to go for now in racing sims.

This is why there needs to be options in games that have online multiplayer to have VR only matches, so everyone is on an even playing field.

IMO its more fun to be immersed in bad graphics with other people who are immersed in bad graphics than it is to be on a 2D monitor with good graphics. The fun is diminished when you're playing against people who have an advantage because they are using a monitor that gives them a strong advantage.

Not that either company is going anywhere, but what does MS have to do with Oculus?

MS trying to jump the VR bandwagon and partner up once it became evident that developers - and more importantly consumers - weren't really interested in AR/HaloLens.

MS trying to jump the VR bandwagon and partner once it became evident that developers just weren't interested in AR/HaloLens.

LOL! Sure, that's why a number of PC makers are going support this stuff this year like Lenovo. I have a Vive and think it's great but were at the very, very beginning of this tech. There's no way to declare winners and losers at this point. However, if you're Microsoft you're happy that right now the top consumer experiences in VR like the Rift and Vive are Windows powered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back