Warm? MS SideWinder x6 Keyboard - $40 Shipped from Amazon

Good price, but I've heard it has issues pressing multiple keys at once.

I've heard the same, but I mostly play CS, l4d2, StarCraft, Diablo, Warcraft 3, so I don't think its gonna be to bad. CS1.6/l4d2 might be the only two that gives me some issues, but I also have many unusual mapped keys to my mouse which many players probably don't do (ie jump is on the middle scroll). Hope it works out...

Thats a good price and I want this board. I'm going to have to think about this one. If I didn't just spend money on a pantone huey and a monitor last week. :(

I have really got to stop checking this section.

Last edited:
Love this keyboard (currently on my wifes computer).

I haven't had any issues with multi key presses - however, I bind CTRL to "scoreboard" or "map" in most games.

Good price, but I've heard it has issues pressing multiple keys at once.

I read that too from a lot of Newegg reviews, but someone threw one in on a deal I got in the FS forums. I haven't had any issues gaming on it at times where I have 3+ keys held down. I'm guessing they had bad drivers or something for it. Seems like a solid KB to me, I'd definitely say this is a decent deal.

I read that too from a lot of Newegg reviews, but someone threw one in on a deal I got in the FS forums. I haven't had any issues gaming on it at times where I have 3+ keys held down. I'm guessing they had bad drivers or something for it. Seems like a solid KB to me, I'd definitely say this is a decent deal.

Thanks, this doesn't seem to be an across the board problem or quite a few more people would be complaining about it.

I like my X-6 it has plenty of keys and plenty of macro possibilities .
Great keyboard.
User error is no reason to be a hater.

RTFM

Seems a hit or miss with people complaining about hitting multiple keys and losing functionality. If I get it in time, I'll clear things up, so hopefully the deal is still on for a week or so...

FYI, I had a probelm with my X8 Mouse and MS's customer service is awesome - no haggle. Had a replacement within just a few days never a problem since.

Interesting... Can you do control + w + r? If so I'll order one. My G15 is broken :(

FWIW, I doubt Microsoft made a keyboard that couldn't do 3 keys. Example: ctrl+alt+del, ctrl+shift+esc, etc. The problem probably lies within some specific game. Could be wrong though...

FWIW, I doubt Microsoft made a keyboard that couldn't do 3 keys. Example: ctrl+alt+del, ctrl+shift+esc, etc. The problem probably lies within some specific game. Could be wrong though...

A couple of posts that I saw in that TPU thread that I linked to.

USB keyboards use groups of sensors - you know, 10 keys share the one sensor kinda thing. When gaming you press too many keys in the one 'cluster' and it overwhelms the poor thing. (i can hit many keys at once, so long as they're scattered all over the keyboard - but use shit + W + Q and try and hit C or something, and POW it stops being nice)

From wikipedia:
"Key ghosting occurs on matrix keyboards for certain combinations of 3 keys. When these three keys are pressed simultaneously a fourth keypress is erroneously registered by the keyboard controller. Modern keyboards detect ghosting and instead of registering a fourth key will ignore the third key, which is known as jamming. Which keys jam when pressed together differs between brands and models of keyboards."

And from another section on wikipedia:
"The keyboard switch matrix is often drawn with horizontal wires and vertical wires in a grid which is called a matrix circuit. It has a switch at some or all intersections, much like a multiplexed display. Almost all keyboards have only the switch at each intersection, which causes "ghost keys" and "key jamming" when multiple keys are pressed (see rollover (key) ). Certain, often more expensive keyboards have a diode between each intersection, allowing the keyboard microcontroller to accurately sense any number of simultaneous keys being pressed, without generating erroneous ghost keys"

I like my X-6 it has plenty of keys and plenty of macro possibilities .
Great keyboard.
User error is no reason to be a hater.

RTFM
I don't see how not being able to crouch + walk forward + reload (ctrl+w+r) could possibly be user error. Especially with so many reports of this problem.

well, will wait for a deal on the X4.

The whole ghosting issue is the same for 95% of keyboards out there unless made to not ghost (like the X4).

I need that 4th key for stepmania :p. cant find any good comfortable key combo that would register all 4 inputs.

Last edited:
Have this keyboard, and multi key press work fine for me.

Can you be a little more specific? We're looking for someone to confirm ctrl + w + r WORKS...which in most games would be croutching + moving forward + reloading.

Thanks, any feedback is appreciated since we're not sure how long this deal will last...

Can you be a little more specific? We're looking for someone to confirm ctrl + w + r WORKS...which in most games would be croutching + moving forward + reloading.

Thanks, any feedback is appreciated since we're not sure how long this deal will last...

Just checked for ya on mw2 and that specific key combination does not seem to work.

ctrl + w + q(grenades) work which is weird

Also does not work in L4D2.

Just checked for ya on mw2 and that specific key combination does not seem to work.

ctrl + w + q(grenades) work which is weird

Also does not work in L4D2.

Cool, thanks for clearing this up! Well, I guess to some who are pro players, this ghosting issue may be a large nuisance.

So it seems to be specific to certain key combos. Some might have to remap keys if they wanna continue to utilize a 3 key sequence/operation.

As I recal, I don't think I've ever needed (nor can I comprehend :p ) to croutch, move and reload at the same time. heh. Well maybe once...

Hi guys
Just tried L4D2 and 3 keys works for me.
croutching + moving forward + reloading. for me is Shft+Uparrow+KP-0(insert) key

CodWaW Now

Part # MS-817172-001

Last edited:
Keyboards are divided up into zones. Press too many keys in the same zone and it doesn't register. That's how its always been.

Keyboards are divided up into zones. Press too many keys in the same zone and it doesn't register. That's how its always been.

seems weird that r would be in the same zone as ctrl and w, but q wouldnt...

CTRL+W+R doesn't work on my system either. Reload has since been rebound to my mouse, and it onyl took me a couple times to do a little stutter on my forward movement to start the reload and then you are ok again. It is the only key combo I couldn't get to work on the keyboard. I do love it though. Volume/light knob ftw.

you can take the palm rests off this right? i want one, my saitek eclipse II is giving me problems. :/

Works in all my games
LIke the other guy said tho diffrent keys in diff zones

I don't see how not being able to crouch + walk forward + reload (ctrl+w+r) could possibly be user error. Especially with so many reports of this problem.

Thanks for the info dude. As you can tell I try not to let my lack of knowledge affect my opinion.lol Thanks for the intel. Appreciate it.

My G15 doesn't do it.

I think I'll bite on this anyway. Can't find any other affordable keyboards...

the palm rests not being removable is a dealbreaker for me. my desk isnt very big. :(

"Too many" is subject to the type of keyboard, but for a so-called "gaming" keyboard, it should be able to register 3 keys, IMO.

Oh well, I've had my Saitek Eclipse for 3 years and I still love this thing to death. No plans to replace it anytime soon :D

Pressing that combo seems extremely awkward/uncomfortable. Maybe that's why I don't use it and rebind my controls to my preference.

Anyway I own that keyboard and I love it. I haven't liked a gaming keyboard this much since the Saitek Eclipse I replaced a couple years ago. I went through a barrage of gaming keyboards before I settled on the X6.

$40 is hot IMHO.

I have this board and its great. No issues what so ever with key presses at the same time. If anything the ESC key takes a few weeks to get used to since its in a odd location and sort of small.

The back lighting rocks! The removable numpad rocks. I have mine removed to save on desk real-estate.

Yeah I've been eyeballing this board for a while @ a pretty steady $60-70 but couldn't justify that price tag. When I saw it hit $40 shipped yesterday it was a no brainer for me at least. I usually remap the controls on the keyboard and add a few to my mouse anyways.

The back lighting looks great, as I'm a huge red LED fan.

Hopefully someone else can make good use of this deal. :)

Back