[warm] Monoprice mechanical keyboards, cherry mx black or red *new*

Sage Osaka

Limp Gawd
looks like the mechanical gaming keyboards that monoprice announced at CES are finally in stock, they are discounted for a limited time. the keyboard with mx reds is backlit red, and the mx blacks are non backlit.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/s...ing_Keyboards&utm_campaign=NP_Q2_2012#1080906

EDIT: sorry didnt add the prices, although theyre right on the site.

the non backlit board with mx blacks is on sale for 77.40 (normally 96.75)

and the red backlit board with mx reds is on sale for 97.35 (normally 129.80)

Last edited:
Seems like a good price for a mechanical, backlit keyboard.

The Deck one is like $170 or something.

Fantastic prices. Yep a Deck is about $150-180 and a Ducky Shine is $150+.
$97 for a Cherry red, full size, backlit board with macro, USB and audio functions is great.

Now for quality inspection. Costar stabilizers? DoubleShot keys?
I don't buy full-size keyboards anymore, but I'm eager to see someone at GH take apart and review this board.

That is a good deal on a backlit mechanical keyboard. Any reviews on them?

I don't see a Cherry red, full size backlit board for $97 :X Looks like $138 shipped. Is there a code we should be using?

I see the non-backlit cherry mx black for $97 though.

I also don't see the prices listed lower as per OP. Shows them at the regular prices now unless there is a code needed to be entered.

ive never used a mechanical, mostly due to wanting my red backlite (currently on a g110) and the typical cost. I may bite on this though come payday if there still on sale.

This looks just like the Max Keyboard. Seems like a good price for a backlight mechanical.

I just started chat with them to see how long of a warranty they have. Great find OP!

Edit: One year warranty.

How do these compare to other mechanicals in the price range? I'll wait for reviews.

There are a few users over at OCN that are saying these are Re-Branded XArmor keyboards Aand saying these are junk. Not sure myself as I have never used a Mech board before so I cant tell you if its true or not

I wonder how this is compared to the Rosewill Reds @ 79.99

I know, no backlit, but what about quality of the board

There are a few users over at OCN that are saying these are Re-Branded XArmor keyboards Aand saying these are junk. Not sure myself as I have never used a Mech board before so I cant tell you if its true or not

Being a monoprice fanboy, I had to bite and I refuse to believe that these are junk! I'll find out in a couple days though eheh.

I'll definitely compare this with my Deck though, which is hard to beat in my book.

Being a monoprice fanboy, I had to bite and I refuse to believe that these are junk! I'll find out in a couple days though eheh.

I'll definitely compare this with my Deck though, which is hard to beat in my book.

Thats cool. I am not knocking these I just dont know if they are good or not or what style of Rebrand. Let me know how you like em

The backlit one is just a rebranded w/red LEDs ione/xarmor/scorpio It's obvious from the pics. It's the exact same keyboard. Those get mediocre reviews but they aren't bad. For the price, I'd get something else though. I hear the xarmors have some LED bleed issues or uneven lighting and the keys don't feel as crisp as some other mechs.

http://www.mechanicalkeyboardguide.com/reviews/ione/ione-xarmor-u9bl/

http://www.ione-usa.com/ione-scorpius-u9bl-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyA3RQKL2VY

The pricing is actually the same or worse compared to sale prices for the ione. Personally, I feel that the deal is cold unless the monoprice one is just reusing the molds but uses different switches. It's not really a monoprice price or any kind of deal/discount price at all. It's retail/normal price for a rebranded version of another mass market product.

The pricing is actually the same or worse compared to sale prices for the ione. Personally, I feel that the deal is cold unless the monoprice one is just reusing the molds but uses different switches. It's not really a monoprice price or any kind of deal/discount price at all. It's retail/normal price for a rebranded version of another mass market product.

I'm also interested in more info on this. The XArmor seem to use blue and brown, while the monoprice use black and red.

I prefer the cherry black keys. Im surprised the backlit one is red rather than blue/black (which seem like the popular choices).

Xarmor and the Max Nighthawk use the same basic shell and there's still some notable differences between those, so who knows what Monoprice did or didn't change... If they didn't mess anything up I'd say it's an ok deal on a backlit board with red switches...

Regular pricing seems far less attractive, a Ducky or even a Deck isn't much more. Likewise the non backlit version isn't much less than a Rosewill even with the discount (and Newegg runs a discount on theirs pretty often), personally I'd take a Rosewill (they're really solid imo and like Ducky, available with every switch type).

MP added the code automatically when I added them to my cart btw.

Fantastic prices. Yep a Deck is about $150-180 and a Ducky Shine is $150+.
$97 for a Cherry red, full size, backlit board with macro, USB and audio functions is great.

Now for quality inspection. Costar stabilizers? DoubleShot keys?
I don't buy full-size keyboards anymore, but I'm eager to see someone at GH take apart and review this board.

Is anyone using Cherry stabilizers on full size keyboards outside of Leopold and Corsair? Pretty sure the vast majority use Costars... I don't think anyone makes translucent double shot keys, do they? Seems like everyone's doing laser etching, I certainly wouldn't expect anything else at those prices.

Is anyone using Cherry stabilizers on full size keyboards outside of Leopold and Corsair? Pretty sure the vast majority use Costars... I don't think anyone makes translucent double shot keys, do they? Seems like everyone's doing laser etching, I certainly wouldn't expect anything else at those prices.

We don't know until we see the internals. Deck does use doubleshot translucent keys.
For a backlit board, ds keys is ideal because the lettering will not wear over time, preventing distorted light leaking caps i.e. Razer boards.

If this is a iOne rebrand, then I'll look elsewhere. Never been a fan of them.

OK...you guys knew this question was coming...

I have read that mechanical keyboards are better than most run of the mill keyboards.

But what exactly makes them better?

And is it really that much of a difference to justify the comparatively HUGE premium compared to normal keyboards?

It's an entirely subjective thing, we can describe it all day long but you won't know whether it's worth it to you until you've tried it. Yeah they cost 3-4x as much, but paying ~$100 for a quality component that you interact with every second you're at the computer doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me. People pay $60-90 for gaming mice all the time... My headphones/speakers are worth just as much, my displays is each worth $300, etc.

As far as specifics, rubber dome keyboards don't last anywhere near as long as a good mechanical and they wear out unevenly. Each rubber dome below each key wears out differently, and rubber domes require you to bottom out on each key press in order for the input to register. They also require more force to press than mechanical keys (in general) but it's not an even pressure since once the dome gives in the key just sorta floats down as you mush down on the bent dome.

Mechanical keys that use Cherry MX switches all actuate half-way thru the key travel and require an even amount of force thru the key's travel. Most of the switch types (except possibly blacks) require less force to actuate than rubber domes. Some are loud and have a clicky feel (blue, or browns which are more subtle blues), and some are completely linear throughout the travel (red/black). Mechanical keys have a much sharper or crisp feel in general, you don't have to bottom out but when you do you get a satisfying clack (or you can dampen it w/o-rings if you wanna make it quieter).

The fact that keys actuate halfway thru the travel can make them feel more responsive, though that isn't necessarily true or a tangible advantage... Lots of people prefer linear switches for gaming, others like tactile feel for typing. YMMV Mechanical keyboards also typically have NKRO or 6-KRO so they can register more key presses at once, not always true of membrane keyboards. Most mechanicals generally feel a lot sturdier, most have plate mounted keys (literally mounted to a metal plate).

I got a Corsair K90 awhile back with the MX Red switches, and after using it for awhile I can offer a few insights as to my personal experience.

(Keep in mind these are all totally subjective):

Pros:
-Activation force is linear and smooth/easier than dome switches. Feels really nice.
-Easier to game on specifically due to faster key response, no tactile feedback, etc.
-Feels sturdier than non-mechanical

Cons:
-For me, at least, the keys were way closer together than my previous keyboard (MS Reclusa). It's taking me a bit to get used to the spacing, but I'm sure eventually it will be resolved.
-Makes more noise than I would expect, even though they're not the MX Blue "clicky" switches. Still "clacks" quite a bit when the keys bottom out. However, if you get good enough, you can type fairly quietly by not pressing the keys all the way down (since the switches activate about halfway down)
-No real feedback with the MX Reds. I think if I got a new mech. keyboard I would go with the MX Browns, which have a bit of tactile feedback.

Basically, it just depends on what you use the keyboard for. If you primarily game, you probably want to go MX Red or MX Black. If you do a lot of typing and like the "clicky" type keys, MX Blue. If you want a hybrid, MX Brown.

If you really crave that tactile feel I'd go blues, if you can stand them, browns are really subtle... I guess if you get used to them you'd start to look out for the tactile bump but it feels so subtle to me that I barely even notice it while typing quickly. Others may disagree, since a lot of people describe browns as a good middle point (whereas to me they just feel much closer to reds).

Hence my point, it's all very very subjective, only you can decide whether it's worthwhile to you. Some people actually like clicky switches for gaming even, personally I haven't been bothered by the linears for typing and I type/code a lot. Some people don't mind the extra noise at all, some people will put o-rings in to dampen keys (which kinda takes away from the crisp feel but to each his own).

What's Monoprice's return policy like? If they charge restocking you can always get one on Amazon to try it out...

Thanks OP ordered the mx black model. I have a rosewill red just want to try out the different switches.

Last edited:
Hence my point, it's all very very subjective, only you can decide whether it's worthwhile to you. Some people actually like clicky switches for gaming even, personally I haven't been bothered by the linears for typing and I type/code a lot. Some people don't mind the extra noise at all, some people will put o-rings in to dampen keys (which kinda takes away from the crisp feel but to each his own).

True. And that's a good idea about the o-rings, I might have to try something like that. The clicking kinda drives my GF nuts because we sit next to each other in the office on our computers. :p

I actually don't mind the lack of feedback THAT much, it's just my first mechanical keyboard after using standard ones for years so I'm not used to it. The key spacing annoys me more than anything because I end up hitting the wrong keys because they're not where I am used to them being. But again, that's something that practice will solve eventually.

FWIW, the wrist pad on Monoprice's looks more like Xarmor's than Max Nighthawk's... Not saying that makes it more like one than the other tho.

So are these Rosewill ones not so good or something? Never used a Mech. Keyboard, so I have no clue.

Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000 with Cherry MX Blue Switch - $79.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201040

Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000RE with Cherry MX Red Switch - $79.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201044

Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000BR with Cherry MX Brown Switch - $109.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201042

Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000BL with Cherry MX Black Switch - $79.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201045

The Rosewill keyboards are fantastic keyboards. I have MX Red & a MX black set. for $80.00 they are great

So are these Rosewill ones not so good or something? Never used a Mech. Keyboard, so I have no clue.

They've VERY good imo, I've read some complaints about the paint in the laser etch fading but that's about it. They aren't backlit but if you don't care about that they're an excellent choice imo.

I've got a Corsair K90 here and a Rosewill with browns and they both feel very solid, the Rosewill perhaps just a bit more. First Rosewill item I ever bought. I was pleasantly surprised, I think I read they were rebranded Filcos at one point, dunno if still true. I got mine during with a 15%-off discount code, regular pricing on the brown is a bit high imo.

Last edited:
Back