Warm: Micro Center Alienware X51 R3 i3-6100, 4GB, 1TB HDD, 8GB DDR4, Win10 $429.99

chizow

[H]ard|Gawd
Warm Deal here for folks looking for an HTPC that can take full CPU and GPU that isn't super bulky and looks nice in an entertainment center. Sadly Alienware has discontinued the X51 so when these are gone, they are gone. It looks like Micro Center has started clearing these out starting with the lowest end unit at $430, it is still selling at various retailers like Amazon for $700+. Even the refurbs of this unit were selling on Dell recently for $600.

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

$5 off from Retailmenot

https://www.retailmenot.com/view/microcenter.com

Main benefits of this over other SFF cases or DIY:

1) It is small but can take a full socket LGA1151 skylake CPU and up to roughly 150W Nvidia or AMD reference GPU (9.5" max). You will need the 330W adapter brick for these beefier cards.

2) Does full x16 PCIe 3.0 for the graphics card AND has x4 for the M.2 NVMe SSD using a brilliant x20 PCIe slot and riser card for the GPU and M.2 SSD

3) Looks good in an entertainment center. It is a little bit deeper but the height and width of the unit is similar to the XB1 and only slightly wider and taller than the PS4.

4) Includes a ton of stuff you'd have to pay far more for if you DIY and you still wouldn't end up with as nice of a chassis, such as AC Wi-Fi, BT, slot loading DVD burner, Windows 10 Home License.

5) Similar price as an Intel NUC with a ton more flexibility and upgradability, and included stuff.

I plan to replace the HDD with an extra SSD I have laying around straight away. I'm going to try a GTX 960 in there first without upgrading the PSU, but I may have to bite the bullet eventually and get the 330W PSU. I'll replace the i3 down the road with an i5 or i7 once they're cheaper and ppl start upgrading to Kaby Lake or w/e else. With a Xbox One wireless dongle and controller it should make for a perfect 4K couch surfing system either natively (not enough except for light games) or with GameStream from my main rig.

Not a bad deal for a prebuilt SFF job..If you wanna part ways with that Nvidia craptastic 745 GPU I will take it off your hands..I am building my niece a cheap minecraft box and it would be perfect to allow her to use some of the high quality texture packs out there..Shoot me a PM if so..

Haha sure will let you know, but I will probably end up keeping it as my backup/tester card since its <50W and decently modern and just retire the cards I held onto for this purpose.

X51 has been great so far btw, turns out a GTX 960 will run with the standard 180W PSU that comes with this unit, but I may end up replacing it anyways as it goes right up to that 180W limit in Valley. Also replaced the 1TB HDD with a 256GB Samsung Pro I had laying around, huge difference. Almost forgot how slow it was to operate off a mechanical HDD....brutal.

Back