Warm - LG 40-Inch 4K Ultra HD 60Hz LED TV - $500 @ Amazon

If it were 4k 60hz 4:4:4 would have been instant buy, but sadly it is not.

Sub 50" 4K televisions are kind of a waste of money, to be honest. Anything under 50" and you're not getting an appreciable difference in resolution compared to a good 1080p because the pixels will be so damned small that you won't be able to tell them apart. There's a reason the smaller 4K screens are priced like this.

Last edited:
Sub 50" 4K televisions are kind of a waste of money, to be honest.

To be honest you have no idea what you are talking about. The reason they are priced like this is because of the two posts above you. If it supported that these could be $1000 and be flying off the shelves.

However, wouldn't be bad for a computer monitor, or as a general TV for the price. I wouldn't use this for my home theatre setup that's for sure.

Sub 50" 4K televisions are kind of a waste of money, to be honest. Anything under 50" and you're not getting an appreciable difference in resolution compared to a good 1080p because the pixels will be so damned small that you won't be able to tell them apart. There's a reason the smaller 4K screens are priced like this.

People always say shit like this... but then demand crazy ass HD resolutions on their 7" tablets...

With that logic, 640x480 should be plenty good enough for your tablet...

Can we please have a quality 31-32" 4K 60hz monitor for $500?

I think I may try this out for a monitoring monitor for my work workstation. How's that :) ;)

I bought one of these a while back at 2 years ago and it has worked great no issues everything looks great games great at 1920x1080.
Panasonic TC-L42E5 42-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED-LCD TV
I not sure you really need super high end TV for gaming most will do just fine and that's at least 75% of what I do gaming.

I do lay in bed about 6 feet away to use this and that works good for me.

I paid less then 400$ at the time due to a price hiccup so been well worth it.

Is this really an IPS panel and direct LED lit as described? Cant find anything from LG or other sources stating that, and Amazon doesn't always have the correct info.

People always say shit like this... but then demand crazy ass HD resolutions on their 7" tablets...

You can see pixels on a 480p tablet.

This is called a Strawman, your arguememt lacks logic.

http://www.rtings.com/info/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs

Pay particular attention to the viewing chart. If you're sitting about five feet away from a 40" 4K, you're just barely at the cusp of being able to tell the difference. Most people sit 8-10 feet away from their televisions, making ~55" the 'sweet spot.'

Now, I understand a lot of people get passionate when someone offers evidence that something they spent money on (or plan to spend money on) might not be an ideal purchase, but there are limits to what the eye can divine.

Last edited:
Sub 50" 4K televisions are kind of a waste of money, to be honest.

True, 4k 40" TV's are kind of pointless.
But 4k 40" monitors are awesome!

4:4:4 and true 60Hz are highly desirable for the latter though, so this deal is still not super hot.

How important is 60Hz for browsing/work type stuff? I would assume it's not really the end of the world since so many people used those Seiki 39" TV's as desktop monitors.

How important is 60Hz for browsing/work type stuff? I would assume it's not really the end of the world since so many people used those Seiki 39" TV's as desktop monitors.

I use a 39" seiki at work to program on, its not the biggest deal for typing because not much is changing, but you can tell when moving the mouse its slower. YOu can set your monitor to 30hz right now to try it out and that will tell you what its like. The real need is 4:4:4 because certain colors of text just aren't readable.

Its all about viewing distance.

Implied viewing distance on a television is at minimum 6' away. Tablets are often used right up in your face.

Its all about viewing distance.

Implied viewing distance on a television is at minimum 6' away. Tablets are often used right up in your face.

Yeah agreed it depends on the use of the device. Hell I don't mind watching movies at 720p. If I'm doing vr stuff I want all the pixels I can get(that my gpu can handle).

http://www.rtings.com/info/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs

Pay particular attention to the viewing chart. If you're sitting about five feet away from a 40" 4K, you're just barely at the cusp of being able to tell the difference. Most people sit 8-10 feet away from their televisions, making ~55" the 'sweet spot.'

Now, I understand a lot of people get passionate when someone offers evidence that something they spent money on (or plan to spend money on) might not be an ideal purchase, but there are limits to what the eye can divine.

... these articles always try to seem smart but in reality they leave out that you can tell the difference in sharpness between the two. I can easily pick out the aliasing on lines on a 1080p tv that you don't see on a 4k tv in the distances this article claims to say I shouldn't see a difference.

"The tenets expressed in this article and others like it are invalid for everyone because *I* can tell the difference."

Again...we all respect that you enjoy your 4K television.

"The tenets expressed in this article and others like it are invalid for everyone because *I* can tell the difference."

Again...we all respect that you enjoy your 4K television.

... The article clearly states those with 20/20 vision won't see a difference and if they do it will be insignificant. I do not have 20/20 vision the difference isn't insignificant either, this is isn't
"I can see a difference so its wrong for everybody", its that the article is just straight up wrong, if they consider aliasing and sharpness insignificant then again its straight up wrong.

You're assuming that everyone sits 6+ ft away from their TV, but a lot of people use smaller TVs as a monitor. I sit about 3-4 ft. away from my Seiki 39" 4K and I definitely appreciate the additional pixels. 4K at 39-40" has about the same PPI as a 27" 1440p monitor (no Windows scaling weirdness), but the TV fills more of my visual field than a 27" monitor. It's basically Eyefinity/Surround without the hassles.

Back