Warm? Lenovo Notebook with GT650M SLI for $899.

Wish it had i7 quad, but $899 for 650M SLI is not bad.

Wish it had i7 quad, but $899 for 650M SLI is not bad.

It does have an i7 quad. I have the y500 without the sli, it's a nice laptop. Great deal here, I paid $750 for mine, and lenovo charges $220 for the second gtx 650, so $900 is awesome.

It does have an i7 quad. I have the y500 without the sli, it's a nice laptop. Great deal here, I paid $750 for mine, and lenovo charges $220 for the second gtx 650, so $900 is awesome.

Where in that link does it show a i7?

Great deal if you drop in a $100 SSD for the OS and use the 1TB drive in an external case..

This has an mSATA slot I believe, so you can put in a mSATA SSD and keep the platter drive in it's usual spot.

Same thing but with an i7 3630QM is $1050: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312439

Hmmm, assuming what I've seen about the 650M SLI being only very slightly faster than the 670M is correct, I'd rather go with this and an i7 upgrade for under $1000: http://www.xoticpc.com/forcemsi-16f3-22001-670m-msi-gt60-barebones-p-4346.html?wconfigure=yes

Be careful not to confuse the 670M (Fermi) with the 670MX (Kepler). The 650m SLI setup is close to the 670MX.

Oh interesting, my bad. I didn't realize they introduced a model with an i5. When I got mine in early December the i7 was the only option. Color me embarrassed. Still seems a good deal.

Great deal. If I hadn't gotten one of the clearance Y580s, I'd be all over this one.

I'm contemplating building a new desktop or picking something like this up... Which would most of you guys prefer? Spending $1k on this or $1k on building a desktop? I would need pretty much everything other than a monitor (would use my TV at 1920x1080). My main goal is for gaming at high settings at 1920x1080 which I could do with the HDMI output on this guy.

a 1k desktop would trounce this laptop, wouldn't be close..... it wouldn't be portable the way this laptop is portable though.... really depends on what you're looking for. This is no desktop replacement, but it is one very fine (for the price) gaming notebook.

I bit. Amazon is currently price matching and there were 8 left when I ordered. I trust their shipping more anyway. also got a crucial 256 gb msata ssd. to toss in there.

Update: 2 left at amazon.

How well does Xubuntu work with it with steam? Any idea?

Yea nope, no idea. Haven't done anything but try to learn windows 8 on it. As a side note, there is some wierdness with the text while running in SLi. Text is slightly blurry until I mouse over it, then it clears up.

Colors seem out of place, and make text invisible on the menus too, that might or might not be due to SLi.

Holy cow. Windows 8. I feel like corporate America just raped my desktop and didn't bother to ask if they were any good... What do I do?

Edit: thank god I just got to the desktop. I thought that the stupid tiles or whatever the fuck, metro, I thought it would never go away. now to troll the I hate win8 threads to figure out how to get rid of all this flashy crap. God I sound old.

Last edited:
Its called Classic Shell.

You can pretty much disable any of the metro BS if you really dont like it, I have been running 8 on my desktops for quite some time now and It is basically like windows 7 but feels alot snappier (but less sparkle because there isnt any areo).

Very nice gaming notebook. Not sure how well the SLI will work out but overall alot of gaming notebook for the money.

Be careful not to confuse the 670M (Fermi) with the 670MX (Kepler). The 650m SLI setup is close to the 670MX.

Actually it should be closer to a 675m when the clocks are oc'ed back to their non-gimped stock 650m level. This is a helluva laptop or the price. I kinda want to pick one up just to play with, but the lady would kill me.

Still can't decide if I should go for this or take advantage of Lenovo's sale on the non-SLI version with the i7 + 16GB SSD for $879.

Not hard to get all the device drivers for Win7 on these since all the components are Intel, Realtek, and/or Atheros. Keep in mind this is an ODD-less laptop, so you'll have to have an external unit if you need one. Oh, and sweet deal for the hardware!

Still can't decide if I should go for this or take advantage of Lenovo's sale on the non-SLI version with the i7 + 16GB SSD for $879.

If you create an account using the Barne's & Noble employee page:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...ovo:EnterStdAffinity?affinity=barnesnoblegold

That same configuration is only $839, and then the 2nd SLI video card can be purchased seperately for $120:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...workflow:item.detail?GroupID=460&Code=0C22235

Bringing the total to about $960 to get the I7 cpu, SSD, SLI graphics, and optical drive. Also if you're interested, the additional warranties are discounted quite a bit. The 3-year accidental damage warranty is only $120 when you're logged in through the B&N page.

Think this is only $80 more than the Y500 I bought without SLI last December. Oh well, doing any serious gaming on a laptop is still apparently really awkward for me anyway.

It's a good laptop, though. Only real complaint I have is battery life - wish I could find something like an external battery pack that's compatible with charging it.

Back