Warm...ish: APC SUA750 (Refurb): 159.99 @Microcenter

StoleMyOwnCar

2[H]4U
http://www.microcenter.com/product/447664/SUA750_Smart_UPS_(Refurbished)_6-Outlets_750W

I'm posting this because I think it will be a consideration for some people.

This is just something I kind of noticed as I was walking through the store earlier yesterday. Ebay has these for much cheaper, but that's Ebay. You'll get a questionable product with questionable warranty support and (if it's even there) a questionable battery. Plus any return costs pretty colossal considering how much the thing can weigh. With these you can tack on a 2 year plan for 20 bucks and pretty much have a warrantied, new product for 170 total (without taxes). Returns are as easy as it is for you to drive over there. I have one of these for my AVR, projector, and consoles, and it works great. Batteries are a bit expensive, but it's a fairly high end model (although a legacy one). Note that it's not a very high wattage unit. If you want a lot of watts (ie high end SLI computer), you'll have to get a SUA1500. For that the best price is still Ebay by far.

I just removed the battery from the APC S10 in my HT; apparently it's dead. I can't believe a replacement is $150. Oddly, I don't have a UPS for my computer, but I feel like I should get one with sine wave output.

Well these are definitely pure sine wave. Like I said, they're legacy high end models. These used to retail for quite a bit. The newer ones just have the fancy displays and crap. As data centers close down you regularly see these on Ebay probably since a lot of businesses were using them. And if businesses were using them in data centers, you know they're more than sufficient for your every day consumer use. Probably a lot more than sufficient... lol.

They are in different categories. That one is probably fine for most people, though. But it's not in the same playing field as an APC SUA unit.

Though contemporary buyers may like it more for its features and whatnot. I'm sure either option is fine, I'm just suggesting this as a possibility for anyone interested in a legacy higher-end model from a non-Ebay source.

I agreed when I initially saw this thread. Because this APC's specs state that it's a line-interactive unit (not a double-conversion UPS as the Smart-UPS used to be), I'd call them equivalent. If I'm missing something, what?

I'm not any sort of UPS guru, so I can't tell you much. IIRC the APC's have higher capacity and runtime.
Aside from that, all I can tell you is that the APC SUA was made for commercial-grade applications. Hell I've seen them lying around in the office where I work (as well as other businesses). What you're talking about is a decent consumer grade one. These old APC units are built like tanks and last a long time, and they probably use high quality parts in general..

Aside from that, someone else will have to add their expertise. I have not done a lot of research into UPS systems.

Back