Warm??? Frys WD SE16 400GB $189.99 AR

Scroatdog

[H]ard|Gawd
Saw the Frys ad in the LA Times this morning.

LA Times AD

Western Digital 400 GB SATA 150 HDD for $239.99 + 20.00 rebate + 30.00 rebate = $189.99 (plus tax of course). Without tax that's .48 cents/gig.

I looked at a few of the boxes at the serial numbers of the drives. Only one said SE16. The rest said Caviar SE, so I grabbed the SE16. Had a date of 25 Aug 05, while the others were 05 Jul 05. SE16 was Frys part # 4869888

Happy hunting!

I dunno, I think i'd rather have 2 x 300gb s-ata seagates from fry's for 5 year warranties for $109 after rebate.
[dual addresses are the bomb]

Malogato said:
I dunno, I think i'd rather have 2 x 300gb s-ata seagates from fry's for 5 year warranties for $109 after rebate.

Good point. But I'm going for as few drives as possible this time around - my Raptor and the 400 GB SE16. Right now I have the Raptor, two 80- gigs in RAID-0 and a 160 GB for video. Going to sell the 80's and put the 160 in an external drive box I have and use it for incremental image backups, so it'll only be on when I'm backing up. Want to get my rig as noiseless as possible.

Malogato said:
Well, aside from the fact I have never owned a good Seagate (but let's not go there for the jillionth time), the Raid Edition of this drive is only $13 more and has a 5 year warranty too. Also my Maxtor MaXLine 250's have 5 year warranties -- the MaXLine's always have. Seagate isn't the only 5-year game in town.

I have plans to upgrade my RAID array with these WD's, but I just dropped $170 on an Enermax Liberty 620 plus spent a small fortune over the holidays so I'd better hold off. :)

And even though the ZZF drive is likely OEM vs the Fry's B&M retail (I hardly [if] ever see Frys ads show 'deals' for OEM drives)..It's better since WD's retail are only 1 yr warranty, like Maxtor, where as their OEM are 3 yr warranty (like Maxtor as well)..And as mentioned the RE drives/Raptors/ALL Seagate get 5 years.. I didn't know the MaxLine's had 5 yr, but w/e.

kush said:
And even though the ZZF drive is likely OEM vs the Fry's B&M retail (I hardly [if] ever see Frys ads show 'deals' for OEM drives)..It's better since WD's retail are only 1 yr warranty, like Maxtor, where as their OEM are 3 yr warranty (like Maxtor as well)..And as mentioned the RE drives/Raptors/ALL Seagate get 5 years.. I didn't know the MaxLine's had 5 yr, but w/e.

Uhhh.... No. This drive comes with a 3 year warranty.

Yeah, late model WD retail drives come with 3-year warranties now. It was announced a couple months ago, and I believe Maxtor also followed suit.

Now that Seagate bought Maxtor (shudder) it'll be interesting to see how the warranty situation plays out further.

I bought this drive tonight from the Renton, WA Fry's. It has a 1 year warranty with a coupon to get an additional 2 years for $14.95.

airs said:
I bought this drive tonight from the Renton, WA Fry's. It has a 1 year warranty with a coupon to get an additional 2 years for $14.95.

Son of a bitch! Well, I guess I gave you guys some bad gouge. I just plugged ther serial number into Western Digital's warranty checker. It's ONE YEAR. If you were to buy the drive OEM bare, on say Newegg, the warranty is for three years.

SORRY everyone. I am going back to Frys today to return this thing, and order it OEM somewhere, or maybe get the RE2 version which is supposed to have a 5 year warranty.

Damn this sucks.

I wonder if maybe it's slightly older stock? I don't remember the effective date, but it was just a couple months or so ago I read where Maxtor and WD both were upping their newer model retail drives to 3 years. Maybe they haven't actually implemented it yet, or maybe it was a Jan 1 thing, I don't remember.

Well, its definitely not this drive LOL. It's a shame too. I just noticed that there is a free SATA controller card in the box too. Haven't opened it, but its in there, and theres a sticker on front saying so.

My Warm deal gets colder than a witches tit in no time flat!

Sometimes it hurts to do so..
Sometimes it feels go to do so...

but either way....

I have to tell you I told you so...

I believe the seagate 16mb, 400gb, is $209.

Malogato said:
Sometimes it hurts to do so..
Sometimes it feels go to do so...

but either way....

I have to tell you I told you so...

You sure did, Bad Cat. You sure did.................. :(

Back