[warm] DLINK DGL-4100 Gaming Router @ Newegg $70 AC FS

requiem99

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127060

Coupon: EMCZNYN59

I've used this router with my fiber for almost a year now and it's been awesome, never crashed once, rock solid, great interface, very flexible, tons of options, only downside some people cry about is WAN port is only 10/100. Big deal, I don't see 100mbps+ being widespread for many years yet. For a gaming and P2P router (it can handle thousands of connections), this thing is tops.

If you still have to use the standard cable/dsl router in front of this, why is this good for anything other then being a standard LAN hub?

Depends. FIOS works with it straight up with no modem (in my case I had to bridge the actiontec because my fiber is through coax). For typical cable/dsl yes, you still need your modem, however, it's a router that has a gigantic NAT table and can packet shape your torrent (or other) traffic to prevent it from affecting your online gaming ping. Plus it has every other feature under the sun and is rock stable. It's awesome.

Depends. FIOS works with it straight up with no modem (in my case I had to bridge the actiontec because my fiber is through coax). For typical cable/dsl yes, you still need your modem, however, it's a router that has a gigantic NAT table and can packet shape your torrent (or other) traffic to prevent it from affecting your online gaming ping. Plus it has every other feature under the sun and is rock stable. It's awesome.

Call Verizon and tell them to switch you to ethernet. All you have to do is change out the coax cable to an ethernet one and connect your own router. They will flip a switch on their end and you will be all set. Using a D-link DIR-655 no problems this way for over a year. Only problem AFAIK with this is that if you have FIOS TV (which I do not) you will lose the wireless data feeds to your set top boxes since you are no longer using the Actiontec router.

What are the IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u standards? Maybe I'm being dumb, but I've never heard of those. Cincinnati Bell gave me a terrible wireless modem/router in 1 box that I want to replace. I want something high quality in our house.

We do have fiber optics though, so are you saying that you can plug the FIOS directly into a router and hop online? No router necessary?

Assuming that your fiber does not REQUIRE a modem (Verizon FIOS does not) and is delivered via CAT5 then it will work, yes.

Call Verizon and tell them to switch you to ethernet. All you have to do is change out the coax cable to an ethernet one and connect your own router. They will flip a switch on their end and you will be all set. Using a D-link DIR-655 no problems this way for over a year. Only problem AFAIK with this is that if you have FIOS TV (which I do not) you will lose the wireless data feeds to your set top boxes since you are no longer using the Actiontec router.

you can set up the actiontec to function as a box just to receive those data feeds...there is a guide on dslreports and a few other places.

I've done it at 4 houses so far including my own with no issues at all and performance increases in gaming and downloading.

I know this, but the problem is I don't want to rewire my house for CAT5 when the coax is there already and rewiring gives me no significant advantage or improvement. I've got the Actiontec in bridge mode and all is well.

I didn't have anything in place when they installed my FIOS. I had DSL before that - got my 'net over the 40 year old copper phone line. I was able to make the choice then and there and ran some ethernet to my home office.

I have been using this router for about 4-5 years and it has been rock solid. About 6 months ago the power adapter burnt out, however, that was a cheap $6 fix off ebay.

I have Cox with a Motorola cable modem that goes to this. No problems what so ever and lots of options. Eventually, I'll probably move to untangle, smoothwall or something else, however, this router has served me well.

Ordered. :) Thanks. My 4 year old buffalo router with dd-wrt has been acting quirky over the last year, especially when it comes to gaming. Had the WAN port die, and had to remap it over telnet. So I'll put it on wireless duty only.

really dumb question but this router does not do wireless internet?

Correct, just wired connections. I've had one for about a year. Works well although I have had to power cycle it a few times when I lost internet connection.

Back