Warm: Corsair RM Series Refurbs @ MIcrocenter

StoleMyOwnCar

2[H]4U
I've used these in two friends' builds so far, both of them worked fine, so I thought to post this here. It seems to be an okay deal on a fully modular PSU:
http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=corsair+rm+refurb

I know these did not initially pass HardOCP's testing, but later on the review goes to note that Corsair made some changes that would have enabled it to earn a pass. This late in the series, I think those changes have likely been made, and any issues likely ironed out. The nice thing about Microcenter is that you can tack on the 2 year replacement plan for really cheap. Like 7$ on the 650W unit. So replacing it is pretty darn easy if things go south.

Newegg also has the 650W option at 60$ after rebate (this rebate seems to extend down the entire RM series):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Honestly I wouldn't have chosen these if it we did not have to build the PC's almost entirely on the spot within Microcenter (practically no online stores), but out of MC's in-store PSU options I thought it was likely the best deal on a budget.

On those refurbs, have you ever tested the main power (12v) line and any of the 5v?

I've had terrible luck with refurb psu's and the 12v usually failing.

Afraid not, I don't have any such testing equipment. I just know that it powered up my friends' computers and their respective graphics cards without any issues. Well technically they were my graphics cards. I gave one friend my old 7870Ghz and another friend my 780 GTX (the CPU's were the 4690 and the 4790k, respectively). Both seemed to work during heavy gaming without issue. I also have a Corsair 600GS refurb in my older computer and it has been working fine as well... but as far as pushing it to the limits and making sure the rail stays within parameters or something, no... I don't really have any lab equipment at my house. Maybe if I was still in college I could borrow one of the labs.

Like I said, the 2 year replacement plan is really cheap on these in case something goes south (7$ on the 650W). That's what won it for me, because a 2 year "take it back to the store and immediately get another" plan is a heck of a lot better than "send it in to the manufacturer, and in a while you may get something back, meanwhile you're sitting there without a PSU." DOA's happen on both new and refurb. *Shrug*.

Back