Warm? 4790k for 279.99 pickup at micro center

That has been Micro-center's price since launch. Just goes to show you how bad newegg is jacking us!

That has been Micro-center's price since launch. Just goes to show you how bad newegg is jacking us!

Yeah. I just saw it for the first time and was thinking it was some limited time special or something. But, yes. That one is worth shopping around for. Even amazon is at 340, shipped!

In store only of course, plus extra $40 off motherboard. Really can't beat $100 off a combo.

Only online retailer I've seen come close is TD with maybe $60 off, but its usually only one board at a time.

It's a loss leader for Microcenter.

It's not a "loss leader" in the traditional sense that MC sells it at below cost to them, they still make profit on every chip/board sold but they sacrifice a huge chunk of their retail markup to get you in the store in the hopes you buy other parts at full retail markup.

This is straight from an MC BYOB dept. manager, chat your local MC reps up and they'll tell you the same, but they are just as happy to just sell you only the mobo/cpu. They know they are the place to go for CPUs and are just as happy to sell 5x as many cpus at 1/5th the profit vs. 1x at 100% profit.

Don't forget tax if you shop in-store so closer to $300 but still a great deal on a cpu and motherboard. They also have good deals on other chips / combos as well.

Good point on the tax. I bought one locally and it was $305 after tax.

the Paterson store in NJ only has 3.5 sales tax even though the state tax is 7%+

They never pick up the phone; NEVER. Also, they (NJ store)sold my pre order holding 4790K to another customer after I drove 80 miles to pick it up and one of the employees in the back made a snide comment about cheapskates only coming to mc to buy processors and nothing else because I didn't want a warranty on the el cheapo free msi h81m-e33 bundled with it. Tried to talk me out of a GB Gaming GT and into whatever cheapest asrock they had instock; guess I can't blame them for trying to make a sale :D.

I spent around $600 that visit also :eek:

Anyway, as Chuckster mentioned, it's the norm price for 4790k since launch from MC.

MC also builds PCs with Intel Processors, and now tablets, Im pretty sure its not a loss leader.
Anyways its been that price since launch

its a loss leader they overcharge you on graphics cards and monster HDMI cables.

Maybe they will drop the price to $199 like they did last November for the 4770k....sale lasted about a week. I wasn't planning on buying on the time but that forced my hand. My receipt shows 11/19/2013 just for reference.

Last edited:
I'm waiting on the $199 deal also, soon as that happens I'll be there getting the CPU and a mono to save another $40 on the combo.

Back