Warm: $210 - Samsung 830 128GB SSD w/Batman Arkham Asylum

Impulse

[H]F Junkie
It's been $230 until today, just as good as the Crucial m4 which is usually $210 so it's not really a deal unless you want & haven't bought Batman... If that's the case I guess you can see it as getting the drive for $160, which is not a bad price at all, not quite as good as a Vertex 3 for $140 like the other day at NE but hey, no MIR and it's probably more reliable.

I actually bought it this morning before the price drop but I just called and they're gonna credit me the difference. Haven't checked whether the 256GB was discounted too but the 256GB M4 was like $45 cheaper anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147137

Edit: Actually the 256GB version dropped $40 to $390, minus Batman I guess it's $340, not bad.

Edit 2: It's the Batman sequel, had a blonde moment and wrote the wrong title.

Last edited:
It includes Arkham City, not Asylum. I was wondering why that made the deal any better for a minute ;)

Blah, I knew it was the sequel in my mind, but wrote Asylum anyway, can't edit the title tho... Hrm.

How does this compare to the current hot favorite Crucial M4?

Anand from anandtech says Samsung is just as reliable as Intel these days. If you want a rock solid SSD, then Samsung and Intel are the way to go according to him.

Performance wise I think the 830 is on par with the Crucial m4, if not a bit better, tho the Intel 510 (or a SF drive) might still be better for TRIM-less scenarios (Macs, RAID)... Anand did mention he's been using an 830 on his MBP w/o issue tho. The controller on the 830 is relatively untested compared to the 470 which was widely used by OEMs, but it hasn't revealed any issues in reviews.

One thing I haven't seen tho is any actual benchmarks of the 128GB model, it's always been the 256GB version in reviews... So I took a bit of a gamble there. Mine should arrive Wednesday so I'll get to tinker with it thru Thanksgiving. :D

Last edited:
Back