Warlock: Master of the Arcane

BababooeyHTJ

Supreme [H]ardness
I just found out about this game and watched Total Biscuit's WTF is video and had to give the game a shot. Luckily there was a demo on steam. I tried out the demo for an hour or so and really enjoyed it. Its an turn based strategy with a hexagonal grid and yes it looks a lot like Civ V but has a fantasy theme. City building works differently and seemed to work really well. The battles seem like quite a bit of fun. IDK, the total buiscit video does a much better job of explaining the game than I could.

Anyways, after playing the demo I had to pre-order for $20. I'll easily get my moneys worth out of this one.

I saw that wtf a few days ago and he does a good job showing it off. Have been looking for a good master of magic style game for ages and this looks to be close. I will be picking this up for sure.

Yeah, I was pretty impressed with the demo. I'm sure that I'll have fun with this one. I have a feeling that this will see more playtime for me than Civ V.

If you fastforwarded to the 8 minute mark and just looked at what was on your screen it would be virtually indistinguishable from a game of Civilization 5.

Intriguing, but these games are rarely welcoming to people who don't want to give a lot of time and effort to them. Might give the demo a look.

seems like a cool use of the engine, could've been an expansion commissioned by Sid Meier himself if we didn't know any better. never did get much into civ5, the early version ai just got old real fast. I hope they're using the updated logic here, will try out the demo.

anyone knows if they're using dx11 engine features here, or dx9 only?

This is actually a different engine than Civ V. Its just the UI and what not thats similar.

Give the demo a shot, its on Steam.

This game blew me away, totally out of left field. Really nice graphics, much better game pacing and well done fantasy theme.

Anyone who is a fan of Civ5 or was really disappointed with Elemental, try this. $20 is a bloody bargain

This is actually a different engine than Civ V. Its just the UI and what not thats similar.

Give the demo a shot, its on Steam.

really no shit, I just assumed for some reason that they had it directly licensed, it looks exactly the same to me... any link to info on it? I was just thinking wow everything crappy about the civ ui like those old school bezels and info panels was carried over, this kind of changes my initial impression from something that could have been a smart twist into a cheap copy. they really better have some damn good gameplay here if they're going to be so blatant about it.

Looks good, but my backlog is too large. Will pick it up when under €5 (which will be xmas the latest).

Yeah, this looks okay, but with the CiV expansion coming out soon as well as other games that I still have to catch up on, it will have to wait.

enjoyed the demo as well, good to see some reasonably priced games being released lately...

Oh it's SteamWorks and Amazon has it + DLC like Steam for $17.99.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Been playing the demo and enjoying it. When someone plays the full game can you find out if in large games if it takes as long for a turn late game as it did in Civ 5?

Sigh, steam failed this game. Countdown timer been up for over 20+ minutes and still we can't d/l or play our game.

Sigh, steam failed this game. Countdown timer been up for over 20+ minutes and still we can't d/l or play our game.

Dont you dare talk about steam negatively in any way. It is the greatest client ever and should be the only one people ever use. :rolleyes:

It should be working now although according to the steam forums, steam may have uploaded the wrong version of the game- the forums could be wrong though.

This game is beyond fun! So much darn fun! I did get a CTD though just then so I'm taking the time to make this post before I load it up again. :)

Last edited:
amazing game for $20! I've been looking for something like this for years, glad to see someone could deliver for a change.

Hmm, is there no way to go through a tutorial? I have tutorial turned on in the options, but starting a game it doesn't say/do anything to teach me wtf to do....

I accidentally started one ogame earlier but decided to quit it, does it turn off the tutorial if you start a second game or something?

Hmm, is there no way to go through a tutorial? I have tutorial turned on in the options, but starting a game it doesn't say/do anything to teach me wtf to do....

I accidentally started one ogame earlier but decided to quit it, does it turn off the tutorial if you start a second game or something?

There is the option for "tutorial" in the options menu.

I know......I have it checked, but I start a game and it just plops me into the map with nothing, no tool tip pop ups, no narrator/tutorial, just right into the game and that's that.

I know......I have it checked, but I start a game and it just plops me into the map with nothing, no tool tip pop ups, no narrator/tutorial, just right into the game and that's that.

It knows that you are elite! Consider it a tip of the hat to your skill. :)

Seriously look at the link that I posted a little ways up the page. It has links to the manual, tutorials, and a playthrough.

On another sadder note one of my ships got eaten by The Loch Ness Monster. Epic!

I am starting to get the hang of it, having a blast so far. I went straight into the biggest world with as many npc great mages as you can have lol.

One problem I am having though, and can't quite figur eout, I keep having an "insufficent" population problem, where I can't build anything new because of it. How do you get a bigger pop? Do you have to attack/take over more cities for this or what?

I think you need to have a positive food supply in order to grow your population. I am loving this game, I get a feeling I will be getting many hours of enjoyment out of it.

This is how its done. Make a good game, release a demo, people like it, people buy it.

RAWR PIRACY WARBLGARBL

The blademaster (you got for pre ordering, in the powerful lords dlc) is so awesome as a unit.

At the start of my game I moved him to the left to scout, he runs into a skeleton owned castle with a group of skeleton archers, he gets close enough that they attack on their turn, he kills them all , then the castle has no defense (it was only the archers there at it) so after a couple turns he takes that castle for me and lv's up. Then a few turns I send him further south, he runs into some elementals, takes them out then slgihty further west hits another skeleton castle, but these are some tough sob's, he takes out 2 groups of archers but the warriors merge on him and I had to pull him out before ihe died.

I am really enjoying this game. A lot more then I did Civ 5.

I have to say what makes it great, is the unit variety, al the neat creatures you can come across and things while you're exploring. The art style and graphics are nice, extremely bright fantasy/colorful, but not that "WoW" stye "cartoony" look, just good vibrant fantasy.

Just finished a dock finally and now I'm gonna start exploring the coast.

I pre ordered off steam so I should get the blade master dude. Where do I get the dlc and stuff from though?

The DLC lords you will get in the perk menu, when you go to make a character to start a game.

Click on "customize" and then un-select the spells/perks that are pre-loaded and then select the Blade Master/demon lord, whichever you want.

They each cost 5 points, so if you want both of them you can't start with any spells/blessings or anything.

I really do like this game, I can't emphasize that enough.

According to Steam I already have 12hrs logged....:eek:

Played this most of last night. Very happy with it. It isn't as good as master of magic, imo. If they continue to tweak and update the game it could be very close. I did have to force myself to stop playing last night so it has that just one more turn feel.

Back