Warhammer: Dawn of War III

Played beta a bit, read about campaign structure, and as I'm interested only in story and single player part... I bought a book with a story based on game scenario. Cheaper, better written, more fun :) :) :)
Maybe when it lands in steam sale, I'll pick it. Not going to pay full price for this.

It's being ripped apart on the steam forums, every other tread is someone pissed and raging about it lol. I can't say I blame them, people wanted wanted DoW III and we clearly have not been given DoW III.

Yeah, I'm just not having fun. There are too many little design problems and a few big ones that kill it for me. Even with just a couple of games played, you can tell when you are likely to lose a match and then stuck waiting 10-20 minutes to lose. The base building is mostly in a CoH1/2 style but really pointless and not needed. Unit balance is not good and by mid game it is all about your elites. Manage your elites well, have more armies (that have little customization compared to previous games) and you'll likely win.

I played a dozen MP maps or so yesterday, and finally uninstalled. I do want to play through the games campaign - but I won't buy it at full price for that. I don't think the multiplayer has the ability to keep people around long, it's really just not overly fun or entertaining in any way. Every game I played was either completely slaughtering my opponents or being completely slaughtered by my opponents. Out of 10-12 games I didn't feel that even 1 was remotely evenly matched. Also after months of play Total War: Warhammer, I don't like the camera angles in DoW, I feel so close up and there's so little going on compared to TW:W.

Count me in with the group that dislike pretty much every design choice they made in this iteration. I was cautiously hopeful and was thinking of using the GMG 25% off discount for preorders but playing the beta killed any and all excitement. Guess I'll be sticking with DoW 1 + Ultimate Apocalypse for the foreseeable future.

just to be a contrarian - Its preloading on steam for me. I'll give it a fair shot. 22.3gb preload done!

Last edited:
:(

Looks like I'll be sticking with DoW: Dark Crusade (Soulstorm was straight garbage)

Bummer...just put in a request for a refund. I was really looking forward to this game but I just wasn't feeling it after two hours. I feel DoW2 looks and plays better than DoW3 despite being more than 8 years old.

I guess I'll finally try to learn how to play Total War: Warhammer to get my fix even though I enjoy the 40K universe a lot more.

:(

Looks like I'll be sticking with DoW: Dark Crusade (Soulstorm was straight garbage)

While the base Soulstorm was less than stellar, using it in conjunction with the Ultimate Apocalypse mod will probably satisfy you.

<SNIP>
I guess I'll finally try to learn how to play Total War: Warhammer to get my fix even though I enjoy the 40K universe a lot more.

While good games based on the GW properties have been rare beasts for a number of years, the TW: Warhammer is definitely among that breed. Granted, it has its own set of problems but at least Creative Assembly openly supports mods and there are some talented TW modders out there.

As much as I ravenously played DOWs 1 + 2 when they came out, I haven't felt compelled to play 3 very much... :( I've been playing it when i can't think of anything better to do, not because it has sucked me in. That makes me a sad panda.

I bought it for single player, none of my usual friends bought it so multiplayer isnt great. I think they made a mistake by only releasing 3 races, I expected more diversity, perhaps we'll get it with DLC but it needs to be really compelling.

I really just wanted Dawn of War III to have a Dawn of War 2-like single player campaign with Dawn of War 1-like multiplayer... Not the worst-of-both-worlds, dumbed down abortion we actually got. :(

I really just wanted Dawn of War III to have a Dawn of War 2-like single player campaign with Dawn of War 1-like multiplayer... Not the worst-of-both-worlds, dumbed down abortion we actually got. :(

I watched some streams of the game and I wasn't impressed. I will get it for the single player, but at most $7.50. The single player campaign is really short and I'll never touch the multiplayer.

DoW1 definitely had the better RTS. DoW2 had a great singleplayer but turned more into a MOBA...

DoW3 ... its out for linux next week so ill get it as I do like the games (and well support Feral :) ) hopefully there is an expansion that brings the IG .

I watched some streams of the game and I wasn't impressed. I will get it for the single player, but at most $7.50. The single player campaign is really short and I'll never touch the multiplayer.
Same here. Under $10 and I'll bite for SP. The MP wasn't fun after the first few initial hours. Once you figured out how shallow the game actually was, you're like well.....SHIT.

One of the biggest letdowns this year for me thus far. Was really hoping on something special out of this. Lots of potential, totally fell flat on it's face.

Back