Warhammer: Dawn of War III

I called this awhile back due to the blitz of DoW related promos from Sega/Relic.

I wonder where they will actually take the direction game play wise.

DoW2 in hindsight was quite innovative in terms of foreshadowing where the market would move to with the huge popularity of MOBAs.

I have some similar sentiments. Will have to see more details and actual footage though.

I was hoping they'd actually stay with the concepts introduced in DoW2. I think DoW2, to a fault, was ahead of it's time in terms of where game play is heading. The style they were aiming for actually should be much more popular given how most of what was the RTS market has shifted to preferring the characteristics present in MOBAs.

Cautiously optimistic on base/control point action.

I roll around in single player campaigns, and rarely - if ever, play someone live.

I'm glad, that they rid of the "tactical" game and they returned to the proper way of rts wth base building and such.

But a year of waiting to start killing Xenos and heretics in the name of Immortal Emperor is way too much.

"Serve the Emperor today. Tomorrow you might be dead"

Dawn-of-War-III-feature.jpg

Dawn-of-War-III-2.jpg

Dawn-of-War-III-3.jpg

I'm all over the Total War version and I will be pumped for this too, this game needed a facelift.

looks really cartoony.

Yea...wish the units looked a little more gritty but maybe it's just a placeholder. Those screenshots are what I envision my units would look like if I tried to paint the tabletop figures with my amateur painting skills :D

looks really cartoony.

Yes it does. I'm sure they are trying to cash in on the LoL/HotS/Smite MOBA craze and capture that same aesthetic.

I am not excited about this... the direction they took with zillions of little add-on microtransactions and stuff is just lame.

It looks like they took the Warcraft 3 approach to graphics. I also agree if they put in that war spoils garbage from COH2 they might as well just set the game on fire now and save us all the trouble.

It looks like they took the Warcraft 3 approach to graphics. I also agree if they put in that war spoils garbage from COH2 they might as well just set the game on fire now and save us all the trouble.

tl;dr on war spoils from COH2, please?

Feels like the RTS genre is hanging by a thread (thanks Starcraft 2/Koreans?) so I hope this succeeds.

Are we sure those screenshots are from DoW3? That looked nearly identical to DoW2 but with altered coloring.

If anyone interested hasn't seen, here is 12mins of gameplay with commentary. Still undecided about the visuals, it looks vividly good, but its just not what one would expect from w40k. Maybe some dedicated fans will release some high-res textures after realease.

I think it looks pretty good, all things considered. Watching the video they said base building and larger deployable unit sizes are back so how good can the graphics be at this point when you have so much going on? Looks awesome to me.

Looks cool to me...more RTS with base-building sounds good. I'm not a huge fan of the small squad / capture points stuff.

I hate the thing that there are no separate faction campaigns and narrative switches between factions. I hate being forced to help Xenos instead of bringing them the justice of the Imperium and making them targets for the holy bolter.

And if the campaign ends with forced Xenos victory, then this game developers can burn for that kind of heresy and I won't touch it.

"Suffer not the alien to live".

I hate the thing that there are no separate faction campaigns and narrative switches between factions. I hate being forced to help Xenos instead of bringing them the justice of the Imperium and making them targets for the holy bolter.

And if the campaign ends with forced Xenos victory, then this game developers can burn for that kind of heresy and I won't touch it.

"Suffer not the alien to live".

uh, see post below, don't know wth happened here :?

I don't like how they're going about with the campaign either, how it will switch between the races throughout. I'd much rather have a dedicated space marine campaign without interruptions. Like how DoWII did it. Then If you wanted to play through with a different race, you could do so.

I have been a 40K fan since the Rogue Trader days and I still play the original DoW with the Apocalypse mod for funsies now and again. The more I see of this game, the less inclined I am to pick it up. The gameplay and art style just aren't doing it for me.

I like the Imperial Knight addition -- seems like GeeDubs is making a focused effort to put them at the forefront of a lot of their recent 40K-related stuff (Freeblade mobile game, Knights on tabletops, novels & fluff). Are they GW's response to the Warmachine challenge?

I like the Imperial Knight addition -- seems like GeeDubs is making a focused effort to put them at the forefront of a lot of their recent 40K-related stuff (Freeblade mobile game, Knights on tabletops, novels & fluff). Are they GW's response to the Warmachine challenge?

Seems that way although Knights have been around for a long time but mainly in the Titanicus/Epic arena.

So, yeah. Beta weekend. It is cartoony looking, screenshots posted earlier are dead on. There is no Skirmish vs AI in the beta, (its in the full game tho) so its just multiplayer on a few maps. Many are saying its moba like with the "power core" map that is in the beta. I don't dislike the game but so far my excitement has been quashed. Not enough like DoW1 for my tastes. Probably will wait for a sale or see how much DLC gets tossed out since it starts with just 3 factions.

I'm doing my best to not get overly-excited.

The hours I poured into DoW 1 & 2....

I'm enjoying the multiplayer. I really want the game for campaign though. Last year my top played game was Total War: Warhammer, doubt I'll put as many hours into this as I did that unless I REALLY start to love MP more, I'm more of a solo player kinda guy though unless I'm playing with a friend over Vent and we are a lot more coordinated. PUG multiplayer is always a meh experience for me.

It's being ripped apart on the steam forums, every other tread is someone pissed and raging about it lol. I can't say I blame them, people wanted wanted DoW III and we clearly have not been given DoW III.

Played the original to death, disappointed by the second one as they went in a different direction, only for them to apparently go even further away with this new one. I get why they did made a different type of game, but it would have been nice if they'd not taken an RTS franchise to make their new game.

Back