Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (first look video)

PanzerBoxb

2[H]4U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbjbbzOrCIg

While I was exciting to see someone making a shooter in the 40K world, after watching the video I was seriously unimpressed. Great graphics but zero originality. Hopefully they will address the egregious divergences from 40K lore prior to the release.

Well, it is the initial build of the game. It seems to look good so far. I would have to assume they are leaning more towards the fiction space marine rather than the tabletop version.

The footage is really early but I like what they have so far. I hope there is more squad combat because Space Marines don't usually run around by themselves. Also the bolter should tear through those squishy enemies but it was more like a pea shooter.

Too much CinemACTION (Their term, not mine) scenes that pulls you out of the game.

The footage is really early but I like what they have so far. I hope there is more squad combat because Space Marines don't usually run around by themselves. Also the bolter should tear through those squishy enemies but it was more like a pea shooter.

Too much CinemACTION (Their term, not mine) scenes that pulls you out of the game.

I agree with everything you just said.

It looks really promising, but they NEED to have squad based combat. That's what the whole table top game is about, it would be a huge mistake to not include it - IMO. Though I guess it never hurts to depart from the norm a bit to re-invent the universe. It would make more sense then if the main character you play is an actual hero, instead of an unnamed grunt.

I think they should make ranged combat more affective as well. Those weapons aren't little peashooters, they're hardcore weapons that can dish out some serious hurt.

I thought the models looked really nice too, they did a great job with the scale of both the characters and the environment. Though the animation looked horrible (I'll chalk it up to being such an early build).

I can't wait to hear more about this game. It looks really promising.

I really Enjoyed Space Hulk and its Sequal many years ago..

It was a Squad Based WH40K FPS where you actually controlled all 5-10 marines at the same time, or set them on Auto-pilot after giving them instructions from the overhead map. it was excellent. Fighing Gene-Stealers.. The sound and mood were fantastic.

Space_Hulk_Terminator_View_Screen.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Hulk_(video_game)

Ah, Blue, that game consumed many hours of my youth. Me and my friends would all sit around trying to make it through the missions.

Ok, I'm digging it so far. I don't mind the non-squad combat system to bring fresh perspective, but I do believe there should be SOME. I want to know if there will be other familiar Space Marine units such as the Librarian that are playable or at least make appearances. Also, I don't think the cinemaction takes you out of the game at all.

"Do I detect uncertainty in your purpose...."

I really Enjoyed Space Hulk and its Sequal many years ago..

It was a Squad Based WH40K FPS where you actually controlled all 5-10 marines at the same time, or set them on Auto-pilot after giving them instructions from the overhead map. it was excellent. Fighing Gene-Stealers.. The sound and mood were fantastic.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b6/Space_Hulk_Terminator_View_Screen.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Hulk_(video_game)

I use to love that game. I even have the boardgame.

please i hope they look at Firewarrior, and see what not to do. The graphics of that game were dated when it came out and the gameplay was pretty bad. I liked the scenery as bad as it was, just cause its not every day you get to walk around Imperial and Alien space ships. About the only good thing from the game was the Tau got a new vehicle from forgeworld, and Railguns for the infantry. The weapons felt like crap with the exception of the plasma pistol, and the bolter felt kinda right even though it was not that strong.

just finished watching it, bummer its 3rd person, so that takes aiming pretty much out of the equation, some of the animations were a little off for the aiming part, but they are supposed to be large and clunky, even if they are fast. the overkill things at the end of the game were pretty cool, might get banned overseas for that stuff. I liked the human shield, grenade toss at the end, Im sure it will be console first or only, and maybe a pc version later.

The two things I would most like to see from Games Workshop:

Re-release of Space Hulk (the board game).

A PC game designed to, as closely as possible, simulate playing the various GW tabletop games. It would have one core system for the game, but then have all the modifications for each world, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, and Lord of the Rings. The core system could be released for 50 bucks and have some basic scenario tools and the ability to unlock the basic version of one army for each game world. Then they could release additional armies, units, and scenery packs for a reasonable fee. In addition they could set it up so that you can play against the army other people have purchased, and play using their scenery if they set up the scenario, even if you don't own that scenery and scenario yourself. Essentially it would be a true replica of the live game, down to charging separately (though much less) for separate armies and such, but with the computer handling all the annoying rules and other complications of the game so you can focus on tactics.

Eventually the could even release a "build your own campaign" system for designing an entire world and hosting battles across the world with persistent armies and unit stats.

We might not get another Space Hulk game, but they are making a new Blood Bowl game. It can be played turn based or in real time.

Ah man Space Hulk , that was awesome I can remember spending many weekends at my friends house playing it on his 3DO.

The two things I would most like to see from Games Workshop:

Re-release of Space Hulk (the board game).

A PC game designed to, as closely as possible, simulate playing the various GW tabletop games. It would have one core system for the game, but then have all the modifications for each world, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, and Lord of the Rings. The core system could be released for 50 bucks and have some basic scenario tools and the ability to unlock the basic version of one army for each game world. Then they could release additional armies, units, and scenery packs for a reasonable fee. In addition they could set it up so that you can play against the army other people have purchased, and play using their scenery if they set up the scenario, even if you don't own that scenery and scenario yourself. Essentially it would be a true replica of the live game, down to charging separately (though much less) for separate armies and such, but with the computer handling all the annoying rules and other complications of the game so you can focus on tactics.

Eventually the could even release a "build your own campaign" system for designing an entire world and hosting battles across the world with persistent armies and unit stats.

While that does sound mighty fine, they would never do that. Their bread and butter is still gouging the tabletop players. A system like that, while innovative, would be too far thinking for GW. :D

But really, they could use that exact business model for Dawn of War and I would be all for it just so long as they did not take four years to come out with crappy armies.

As far as GW remakes goes, they really, really need to bring back Titanicus and the Epic scale battles. Heck, make Epic using an engine similar to the Total War series and I would buy it. Anyone remember Final Liberation?

I use to love that game. I even have the boardgame.

Loved the board game, hated the PC game. The board game just felt "better" than the Pc version. The PC version was a lot harder for some reason, than the board game. And not because the missions were harder, but because the game was harder to control than the board game, if that makes any sense.

There was a flow to the PC game that you had to get used to. Many of the same tactics from the board game applied straight in but you had to make a few adjustments. We, my friends and I, figured out there was a timing issue when firing the storm bolters. If you tapped the mouse button in a regular fashion the chance of your weapon jamming was greatly reduced. Should a Stealer managed to close the distance you could pummel the living snot out of the mouse button and have a better than average chance to survive.

It still took us many hours with multiple people helping out (having another hand to select your Terminators was invaluable) to complete all the missions. The Windows 95 version of Space Hulk was not nearly as entertaining.

I had Space Hulk on 3.5" Floppy.. Got Nostalgic about 2 years ago and found it on CDROM for like $15! (SCORE!) Dosbox plays it well.. good times..

Does it still have the same tense atmosphere, Blue?

To continue this threadjacking, there is a mod for Dawn of War here that tries to reproduce Space Hulk. I have not played it but I intend to at some point.

QFT, though I can see them not wanting to make the "starting weapon" too powerfull. I really liked CinemAction, but it did seem over-used in the demo.

-S

its odd that they dont have any form of the tabletop in any of the games. they sell a retail card game now, and that has 2 or 3 video games from it. I miss Chaos gate and Final liberation, i got final liberation working on xp once, but all the video clips are broken in it. There is entire world around the tabletop that no video game no matter how good could take away from. People love custom paint jobs, bitz and green stuff, and poses that a video game could never do. So maybe people new to 40k might give up the figures, but any of the core players would still be buying them. Ton of people that do the tabletop still never played any of the video games. I collected tons of minis and have yet to play a game with them. Ive only played the board game once at a convention.

Back