Wargaming Seattle is Shutting Down

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Gamasutra is reporting that Wargaming Seattle is closing down after this tweet was put out. Wargaming Seattle was formerly known as Gas Powered Games who were known for Dungeon Siege and Supreme Commander. If true, over one hundred developers will be looking for new jobs. Personally, I liked the Dungeon Siege games and it's sad to see another studio bite the dust. Good luck to all of you folks that worked there.

During its lifetime Gas Powered became known for series like Dungeon Siege and Supreme Commander (as well as the early DotA-alike Demigod), but after a failed Kickstarter campaign the ailing studio was acquired by Wargaming in 2013.

my buddies and i were just talking about playing SC, again. sad. that game was like "oh you want crap tons of everything on the screen? well your PC cant handle it, but here you go!"

that was like the Crysis 1 of the RTS world.

SC was the spiritual successor of Total Annihilation which was the same - build more units than your computer can handle - from '97. I'm sad that micro-RTS like C&C and WarCraft/StarCraft won out as I do prefer the macro-RTS...

With games becoming a larger and larger affair, it's impossible for AA studios to survive. Before long we'll be left with just the large AAA studios.

SC was a great game, one of my all time favorite RTS. If you liked it, you'd like Sins of a solar empire as well.

With games becoming a larger and larger affair, it's impossible for AA studios to survive. Before long we'll be left with just the large AAA studios.

Or super small Indies with their 8bit graphics.

The middle ground is shrinking.

I read somewhere that they had something to do with world of warships but not 100% sure.

WG is a pretty shit company (like a lot of other big studios) so nothing surprises me with them.

A ton of my friends were working there, so it's sad to see them close down. Fortunately I've been told that they were given a really good severance package, even people in QA.

I read somewhere that they had something to do with world of warships but not 100% sure.

WG is a pretty shit company (like a lot of other big studios) so nothing surprises me with them.

?

Wargaming developed World of Tanks, World of Warships, World of Warplanes. They also did the reboot of Masters of Orion. As for being a shit company, I have not heard that.

A friend of mine worked with them under Chris Taylor off and on through a couple iterations of the company. Did some AI on the original TA, then did effects programming on the original Dungeon Siege.

Funny little story. He kind of gets carried away with things (my friend) and he was putting a lot of effort into making the arrows spin as they flew through the air (at a time when GPU/CPU needed to be watched pretty closely). :D Among other minute details that he thought should be in there. I guess they had to sit him down, and ask him to scale it back. So... No spinning arrows in Dungeon Siege.

?

Wargaming developed World of Tanks, World of Warships, World of Warplanes. They also did the reboot of Masters of Orion. As for being a shit company, I have not heard that.

I didn't say anything about the games :)

No wargaming Austin handles wows on the NA side. But a lot of the people from Seattle were offered the option to move to the Austin team as far as I know.

My first loss in Supreme Commander.

Running around, gaining ground on my opponent. When suddenly...

A moon landed on my Commander and I instantly lost.

How fucking awesome is that?

Also, this closure sucks! :(

Back