Wardriving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

[H]ard|Gawd
Anybody done this? What equipment did you use and what did you accomplish. I know some people put files on share for drive-byers to pickup. Sounds like fun, hopefully I get some. Any tips or spare antennas to give me?

It's fun for a while. More fun if you have GPS equipment. I used to do it every now and then. If you're looking for equipment, I've got an Orinoco gold card (HP brand, but takes Orinoco gold drivers) and a magmount antenna and pigtail for sale. $75 shipped. The antenna alone costs over $55 + shipping from fab corp.

Its pretty cool to drive around with netstumbler and record the wireless networks in the area, however that stopped for my bro and I once gas prices went through the roof :mad:

Patman said:
Anybody done this? What equipment did you use and what did you accomplish. I know some people put files on share for drive-byers to pickup. Sounds like fun, hopefully I get some. Any tips or spare antennas to give me?
Hey, Patman. Just got my Fujitsu P1120 ultraportable yesterday. I've been using my RX3715 pocket PC for about six months now, and it works great for finding wireless access points that I can use to pirate some Internet access off of. But the P1120 is much better for doing this, as the full screen browser just rocks in comparison. But just the WIFI features of both these tools has been enough for me inside cars up to this point, I see no real need for a dedicated antenna for what I use it for. I don't just look for access points, I actually use them! :eek:
But the experience of using the pocket PC has given me many locations to stop and connect, and it has WIFI Graph on it for looking for the best connections, plus it's easier to use while driving! Be careful of curious people though, it can be illegal to do this!

Im just wondering, what are the leagal ramifications of this? i mean, can they have you arrested for using the wifi? is it like stealing cable?
thanks,
Paul

Wardrivers... Shit, ive seen so many of them coming in over the years.. So many fucking young scripkiddies thinking their all this shit with a freaking laptop sitting in a car. :rolleyes:

wardriving to pirate internet access, then going home and posting about it is lame.

dekard said:
wardriving to pirate internet access, then going home and posting about it is lame.

I agree.

I've only needed to use someone elses internet two times. Both times I was lost and needed to get someones phone number, so I just pulled over, jumped on, whitepages.com'ed them, and went on my way. That was it.

Milenko said:
I agree.

I've only needed to use someone elses internet two times. Both times I was lost and needed to get someones phone number, so I just pulled over, jumped on, whitepages.com'ed them, and went on my way. That was it.
a little quick action is one thing, but BUYing antennas so you can steal access is retarded. The only real reason do wardrive is hacking someone's system or dl'ing some contraband you couldn't do off your own connection. Lame.

dekard said:
a little quick action is one thing, but BUYing antennas so you can steal access is retarded. The only real reason do wardrive is hacking someone's system or dl'ing some contraband you couldn't do off your own connection. Lame.

SO true. I just use the nice built in wireless G card that came with my laptop. No roof mounted antennas here :p

PPL who do it for fun and then brag about it imo are lame. Why? Most ppl have some forum of wep. I have done it once when I was at my G/F's house and wanted to see if she could get SBC DSL at her house and ordered it. But that was it. I am suprised a mod has not locked this thread.

dekard said:
Oh well. But then you knew what this thread was about when you got here. It's nice grabbing free access when I need it, for simple email and internet accessability. I opened my access point for free access here, and so does my neighbor, so it's not like we are cracking fort knox :)
If it's open, use it.
EDIT: Oh, and BTW I was being sarcastic when I said "Pirating" in the first place...

dekard said:
I do it to gain access to the net while I work during the day mobile, on the road. So there is another reason.... And I do pay for my own cable here too. Damn near $150 worth.

technically the mods wont kill this thread as long as it doesnt become derailed (aka talking about stealing internet and such)

wardriving itself is perfectly legal and fun, but when you use wardriving to use the other persons internet, then it becomes illegal, and topics like that arent allowed on the forum.

now the situation where Milenko was lost and needed some quick info, i think thats perfectly fine and moral. but using it to use bittorrent and hack and such is just wrong. heck, if you hack and manage to get caught, thats like 2 offenses right there, instead of just one.

There has already been conversation about illegal activities and this thread will close. I will remind you all who admit to illegal activities will face possible loss of membership on the forums. Wardriving is legal only as long as you do not use what you have found...that is called theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back