Wardriving ((( i )))

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer9019

[H]ard|Gawd
What kinda wardriving setups do you guys run? Just wondering. Ill post up some stats and pics of mine later.

I don't.
I don't siphon other peoples gas from their cars either..just because they don't put a locking gas cap latch...even if they park in the street.
I don't run an extension cord into their exterior AC outlet..just because they don't lock it.
I don't hook my garden hose to their exterior faucet and water my lawn..just because they don't lock it.

When I need internet access on the go, I latch my laptop onto my Blackberry via bluetooth...and use my Verizon account..which I pay for.

C'mon Stonecat...where's your sense of adventure? You don't run around with toy guns, stealing candy from babies either?

I don't.
I don't siphon other peoples gas from their cars either..just because they don't put a locking gas cap latch...even if they park in the street.
I don't run an extension cord into their exterior AC outlet..just because they don't lock it.
I don't hook my garden hose to their exterior faucet and water my lawn..just because they don't lock it.

When I need internet access on the go, I latch my laptop onto my Blackberry via bluetooth...and use my Verizon account..which I pay for.

Some people just do it to do it. I have a fiber connection at my house that really can't be beat. ...But I always do some probing here and there to the various WEP/WPA APs that my house is surrounded by.

Don't you know anything about hacking and such? Do it for the lulz!

Some people just do it to do it. I have a fiber connection at my house that really can't be beat. ...But I always do some probing here and there to the various WEP/WPA APs that my house is surrounded by.

Don't you know anything about hacking and such? Do it for the lulz!

Nope..that's my neighbors property, and I respect it..just as I expect someone to respect mine. I grew up to respect other people and their property. There's zero "lulz" for me in tampering with someone elses property without their permission.

I'm a person who likes to leave their car unlocked and house unlocked. Yeah, I don't live in the city, I'm more rural, but that doesn't give someone the right to break into my house or car just because it's unlocked. And if I catch someone doing so....I'm physically harming them as far as I can legally go without manslaughter, just to teach them a lesson. To me..THAT is lulz!

Nope..that's my neighbors property, and I respect it..just as I expect someone to respect mine. I grew up to respect other people and their property. There's zero "lulz" for me in tampering with someone elses property without their permission.

I'm a person who likes to leave their car unlocked and house unlocked. Yeah, I don't live in the city, I'm more rural, but that doesn't give someone the right to break into my house or car just because it's unlocked. And if I catch someone doing so....I'm physically harming them as far as I can legally go without manslaughter, just to teach them a lesson. To me..THAT is lulz!

You know in some states it's legal to "lulz" someone to death if they encroach on your property. :eek:

wardriving is a retarded term too.

Taken from "Wardialing" -- look into it

blackberry + pdanet = lifesaver at the airport

I use tethering too (iphone) for when I need to use the internets as well. Always nice to have a WiFi AP sometime tho.

I don't.

It do it more as an experiment, I think I have only used an unsecured residential router once or twice to check my email (before data plans were really usuable). You really need to loosen up.

Taken from "Wardialing" -- look into it

I use tethering too (iphone) for when I need to use the internets as well. Always nice to have a WiFi AP sometime tho.

It do it more as an experiment, I think I have only used an unsecured residential router once or twice to check my email (before data plans were really usuable). You really need to loosen up.

He was only posting his opinion. He did not bash you, or tell you not to do, just stated that he does not. As a highly valued member of this community I respect YeOld's opinion as it is, he shouldn't have to explain himself

I think the noob needs to learn the ropes and respect a bit before stirring the pot with respected veterans.

I'm very against the idea of people actively trying to connect to wifi, open or not, and using it for their own personal entertainment or malicious reasons. I have a buddy that I drive around with and we passively record access points names and use a gps to triangulate their locations to see how many new networks we can get in a day. At the end of the drive we upload files to wigle.net, making us one step closer for our team to make it to the top 10.

Now come on folks, be nice. :)

'Wardriving' may be questionable from an ethical standpoint because of the implications surrounding it but the process of discovering APs is no more illegal than you sitting in your house, clicking the 'rescan' button on your wireless adapter and seeing your neighbor's SSID. Connecting to and using someone else's property is another story and to YeOlde's point, is the area that's a matter of respect and even illegal in most states.

The question becomes - what does the person intend to do with the data he or she collects. IF it is a matter of curiosity, a case study or project and no connections to those discreet networks are made then it is only morally ambiguous, not illegal.

It is one of the many things in our world today that has few good uses and many bad ones. A password recovery tool is a Godsend to a Sys Admin but can be used to break into systems as well. An MKV container is great for storing legally obtained movies but is also one of my most prevalent formats used by pirates. An MP3 can be legally created or obtained but also started the piracy revolution. Torrents are an outstanding MESH network for distributing content but are also used heavily by pirates. PGP is nice for storing sensitive or personal items but can also be used to avoid prosecution for wrongdoing. It can be argued that driving around discovering APs is no different than having a collection of legally obtained MP3 files, it's when you connect to or distribute them that the effort becomes malicious and potentially illegal.

Anyhow - let's all just take a breath.

Am I missing something? Wardriving has always been about driving around and finding as many access points as possible, often entering them into a database along with GPS info.

It's not nor has it ever been about connecting to your neighbors networks or whatever. Most of the time, since we're talking about APs that are found while driving, they are nowhere near the persons house...

No offense meant here, and I know you don't want to live in fear, but not locking your house or cars is irresponsible.

Doesn't matter if you live 10 miles from the nearest sign of civilization, its stupid to live by any sort of "security by obscurity."

Am I missing something? Wardriving has always been about driving around and finding as many access points as possible, often entering them into a database along with GPS info.

It's not nor has it ever been about connecting to your neighbors networks or whatever. Most of the time, since we're talking about APs that are found while driving, they are nowhere near the persons house...

This.

Although it feels like it may be past it's peak of interest from a few years back. I remember going on work trips, firing up netstumbler and being wowed by the number of APs out there, people's silly SSIDs, etc.

No offense meant here, and I know you don't want to live in fear, but not locking your house or cars is irresponsible.

Doesn't matter if you live 10 miles from the nearest sign of civilization, its stupid to live by any sort of "security by obscurity."

If someone wants to steal something from your car, they'll break a window to get it. Don't leave anything of value in there, and you don't run any risk if you leave your shit unlocked. ;)

If someone wants to steal something from your car, they'll break a window to get it. Don't leave anything of value in there, and you don't run any risk if you leave your shit unlocked. ;)

Whether driving 2 blocks or 2 states, I put on my seat belt.
Whether leaving it alone 2 minutes or 2 weeks, I lock my car.

Both are just habits that if I don't do, I feel something is terribly wrong. It's not about having something worth stealing or not inside, it's usually how easy of
an opportunity it is.

Whether driving 2 blocks or 2 states, I put on my seat belt.
Whether leaving it alone 2 minutes or 2 weeks, I lock my car.

Both are just habits that if I don't do, I feel something is terribly wrong. It's not about having something worth stealing or not inside, it's usually how easy of
an opportunity it is.

Wearing my seatbelt is something that is a good habit that I also have. But, maybe it's just driving a Jeep that makes it seem pointless to lock my doors! They can just unzip the windows, lol. :D

I don't.

Yer missing out then

I think the noob needs to learn the ropes and respect a bit before stirring the pot with respected veterans.

He was only posting his opinion. He did not bash you, or tell you not to do, just stated that he does not. As a highly valued member of this community I respect YeOld's opinion as it is, he shouldn't have to explain himself

As a part of numerous online and off-line communities over the years I always respect 99.999% of most peoples responses (with the exception of people just saying stuff trying to "stir the pot". I have no intention of causing disrespect to anyone with my responses or comments. With that being said, after reading the post by YeOld I felt he was implying I was some script-kidding "h4x0r" teen trying to be "leet" like you sometimes find on other forums (I never found this type of response on this forum so far). It comes down to more of the predilection of the response that I felt harbored some tone condescending matter. In further inspection of this situation I feel that there is the possibility that we all may have heightened the actual level of the responses to a point above the actual intended threshold originally intended. While it is true that nobody should have to "explain themselves", I feel that when people do it helps to add the the collective feeling, instead of just stating an opinion with no real understanding from the readers point of view, for why such a statement was proposed.
This response I hope is taken with some respect even though I am new to this particular community, and would like to continue being considered as a member myself.

i used to war drive, it was funny seeing ALL the open defaulted wireless routers, you could sure see who read the instructions and who didn't. Till this day people still just open the box and plug it in, it works ? SURE they don't bother doing any thing else :)

i used to war drive, it was funny seeing ALL the open defaulted wireless routers, you could sure see who read the instructions and who didn't. Till this day people still just open the box and plug it in, it works ? SURE they don't bother doing any thing else :)

Back when I was on dial up when living with my parents, I was probably17 or so, I used to drive down the road and pick up my neighbor's wireless to download my World of Warcraft patches on my laptop, then bring em back and put it on my desktop with a flash drive.

SUCCESS!

The furthest I've ever got to "wardriving" was when I lost my internet connection due to a bad cable in the street, and I had a job due the following day (of course). I had to go outside and walk up the block till I found a open connection so I could download a driver.

Other than that, I've satisfied any curiosity simply by laughing at peoples SSID's....and thinking "wait - you can figure out how to change the name to HotBuns33, but you can't set a password?? ;)

A friend and I used to drive just to see how many we could find; it became a sport. We intended to do some analysis of discovered AP's along a defined route and to chart the growth in the use of wireless networking as well as wireless security functionality.

My setup was a Dell Latitude P3 1ghz laptop, Orinoco Gold card, external 12 dbi antenna, Garmin GPS, and NetStumbler using Microsoft MapPoint integration and text-to-speech (example MapPoint map: link). I am still ranked at 529 on WiGLE (used to be in the 300's!) even though I haven't submitted data in almost 6 years, and have 3,847 discovered networks with GPS coordinates.

I will agree with others that have defended wardriving. Though we discovered thousands of access points, and considering 2 out of 3 were insecure in 2004 when we last did this, we did not use any access point that we did not have permission to (we did use an open one called 'FreeInternet', but we understood that to be permissable).

Additionally, some of you may want to read up on a company called Skyhook. They build a database of access points and GPS coordinates and can use that to determine a users location. How do they collect that data? They drive around gathering it. Even Google does the same thing to assist in it's location-based services. If you've used Google mobile apps or have an iPhone, chances are you've used information in these databases without even knowing it.

Last edited:
I've heard that using someone elses internet connection is now considered a crime if they don't know about it? Maybe only for public services?

I've also heard that WI-FI is considered a 'free for all', if it's there you can uses it. I don't know what's true either though.

I once renamed my neighbors unsecured wirless SID to "FreeWirelessHere". They didnt change it for over a year. xD

I would love to hook up to several Wifi networks and put a pfsense box between me and them. Let it load balance to see what kinda speeds i get. :p

The furthest I've ever got to "wardriving" was when I lost my internet connection due to a bad cable in the street, and I had a job due the following day (of course). I had to go outside and walk up the block till I found a open connection so I could download a driver

I've heard that using someone elses internet connection is now considered a crime if they don't know about it? Maybe only for public services?

I've also heard that WI-FI is considered a 'free for all', if it's there you can uses it. I don't know what's true either though.

Wardriving =/= connecting to random people's networks :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardriving

Confusion with piggybacking

Wardrivers are only out to log and collect information about the wireless access points (WAPs) they find while driving, without using the networks' services.

Connecting to the network and using its services without explicit authorization is referred to as piggybacking.

The terms have been interchanged in the press, however. For instance, an EETimes article with the headline "WiFi user charged for not buying coffee"[7] refers to a user who "piggybacked off the shop's wireless Internet service for more than three months". When reposted by Engadget, the term "wardriving" was substituted, and the headline changed to "Wardriver arrested for snagging coffee shop signal".[8]

Typical wardriving software actually takes control of the wireless radio, making it impractical, if not impossible, to wardrive and piggyback simultaneously.

How is this thread even still open?

Because the only people in this thread talking about doing anything illegal don't even know what wardriving means.

is this really any different then turning on the bluetooth in a restaurant (or any crowded place) on your phone and seeing how many bluetooth devices are in the area. I would do this at school ALL the time. Some girl really named their phone "sexylilmama". haha retard.

As for locking your car? Considering you can break into my mustang with a razor knife to the convertible top i ALWAYS leave my car unlocked. If someone REALLY stole my car it would cost MUCH more to replace the convertible top than a broken window, assuming if i got it back. If someone really wanted to steal my car the window wouldnt stop them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back