Warcraft Players Are Removing Their Shoulder Armor to Protest Their Evil Warchief

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Paving the way to Battle for Azeroth, Blizzard released a new “Warbringers” animated short this week that sees Horde warchief Sylvanas Windrunner burning the night elf stronghold of Teldrassil and its many innocents to death. This dishonorable act did not sit well with fans: some have protested by threatening to cancel their subscriptions, while others have taken the novel approach of stripping off their character’s armor to vouch for a more suitable leader (e.g., Varok Saurfang). Luckily, Blizzard’s newest cinematic “Old Soldier” has soothed at least some of the outrage.

A large part of their complaints with that moment was how none of the other Horde leaders seemed to question Sylvanas' rash decision to murder countless night elf innocents. For many Horde players, it felt like they were the only ones with any sort of conscience or sense of honor—they suddenly felt ideologically opposed to their own faction. It was a jarring, upsetting moment that players reacted to with scathing vitriol. Old Soldier, however, acknowledges and gives voice those feelings.

It makes the horde the bad guys, think a lot of people don't like that. I'm tired of horde and alliance working together for years and the game still keeps them separate. Then in the spirit of bad sequels lets burn the tree down for no reason and piss off a lot of fans

It makes the horde the bad guys, think a lot of people don't like that. I'm tired of horde and alliance working together for years and the game still keeps them separate. Then in the spirit of bad sequels lets burn the tree down for no reason and piss off a lot of fans

Since when are the Horde NOT the bad guys? I thought that was fundamental to the Warcraft world.

Also, 100% in agreement with SeaFoam... WTF? and also.: How can anyone give a fuck about this kind of thing? It's a game, the only "Leader" you have is yourself a/o your clan leadership. The rest is MADE UP backstory for your actions.... WTF?

I think a lot of people who play Horde like they idea they're bad. Also, if you want a good story you need tragedy. There was a reason, its called war.

Horde has always been the bad guys.

wow. boys getting pissed at pixels and "if" statements.........Go millennial!

I for one welcome a wicked war-chief. She needs to raise Garosh as undead and add him as a general or some such. Kill all the night elves and kill that smug bitch Jaina while your at it.

Edit: not that i am going back to play this time sink anymore :p

The people I personally know that play horde characters do so for the bad boy cool points but still want to be the good guys, hence the outrage. Blizzard, of course, feed this with the orcs' supposed sense of honor and warrior justice. Honestly there is no good nor bad faction in Warcraft anymore. There can't be if Blizzard wants to keep making money.

Most of my experience is in WC2: so evil

The smell of burnt pixels and crushed dreams.

I can smell the virginity in the air.

You can't have good without bad though, right? I can't play WoW because of stuff like this and the massive time sink.

When have horde been bad guys? we been working side by side with horde for years now, Maybe 10+ years ago or something. All I remember each expansion is horde and alliance working together to defeat a baddy.

Yes horde and alliance helps each other when there is a bigger threat but they still hate each other very much and when things calm down it does feel natural to me that the war between them would reignite.
Not sure it should have started this way but I can't say I care about the story that much its not like there aren't any holes in it anyway.

This is and was my greatest gripe about the story, there are no badguys in WOW Blizzard lacks the balls to have a truely evil badguy, everybody gets redeemed or is just morally grey means to justify their ends, because when in reality Blizzard just sucks at making a compelling badguy they always have, mostly they are just surviving, Sylvannas is just doing right by herself and her backstory, I mean what did people expect, she isn't going to be a cheery smiling banshee and when she does finally try well it's ruined by others, so she goes postal......the story is convoluted at best and when the old God's finally decide to come in force I'm sure in a reasonable fashion petty bs when the world is ending Trump's working together to achieve a means.

Protest Sylvanas being bad, but not Blizzard acting like Twitter with in game chat.

I’m actually all for this, and I play Alliance. We need change, this game has been stuck in a rut story wise to me. It seems like every super bad guy/old god that threatens life ends up getting beat down, taking the feeling of imminent doom non-existent. Pair this with feeling no pride in the faction you pick because everyone’s banded together ultimately made a lot of the story elements dull.

At least now we’re going back to the basics: Horde vs Alliance. Horde destroying one of the major alliance hubs will bring back that sense of Faction pride, and with no major enemy threatening the very existence of the planet we can now get back down to what made the original so good IMO.

Don't play any more,but as far as I can remember the alliance was always the ooey gooey center of the warcraft universe and the horde was the hard dick don't fuck with us pick.

Wanna cry in stormwind like a bitch cause your daddy died,play alliance.

Wanna drop some plague on everyone and enslave a race to live forever,play horde.

In the Hearthstone game if you kill Sylvanas Windrunner she steals an enemy minion... no outrage over that?

I have a lot of time in Everquest and World of Warcraft. I haven't played for 5 years or so, but I was very active and a member of a great guild. And as I read the article, and I read this thread, I felt the urge to pull out my credit card, renew my subscription, and see who was still playing and what was going on with the world.

Then I put clamps on my nipples and testicles and ran about 60 volts through my body.

P.S. You know you've played MMORPGs too long when you still have dreams about them.

Sylvanas tries to put up a front that she's completely detached from her emotions, but she's an emotionally compromised being. Any time someone or something makes her feel something, she reacts so violently it makes me think they are portraying her as someone with PTSD. She literally can't control herself. She burns down Teldrassil because a dying Night Elf makes her remember her first death. And everyone there is so caught off guard by it, no one can think to stop Nathanos form executing her order to burn the tree.

From a story standpoint I totally get why she's doing what she's doing, even though the Alliance has done everything they can to sue for peace. While it seems like we're going full Garrosh 2.0, I'm guessing Blizzard is just wanting us to think that until the real story unfolds.

Also, 100% in agreement with SeaFoam... WTF? and also.: How can anyone give a fuck about this kind of thing? It's a game, the only "Leader" you have is yourself a/o your clan leadership. The rest is MADE UP backstory for your actions.... WTF?
Exactly like when there's a new Star Wars and it's not very good or this is different because Star Wars is important and this isn't?

i have played off and on since vanilla and never really kept up with or cared about the lore, i just wanna kill shit and get gears

Well... just like I always knew when I used to play World of Warcraft 6+ years ago......

All the liberal snowflakes are on the Alliance side :p

This is and was my greatest gripe about the story, there are no badguys in WOW Blizzard lacks the balls to have a truely evil badguy, everybody gets redeemed or is just morally grey means to justify their ends, because when in reality Blizzard just sucks at making a compelling badguy they always have, mostly they are just surviving, Sylvannas is just doing right by herself and her backstory, I mean what did people expect, she isn't going to be a cheery smiling banshee and when she does finally try well it's ruined by others, so she goes postal......the story is convoluted at best and when the old God's finally decide to come in force I'm sure in a reasonable fashion petty bs when the world is ending Trump's working together to achieve a means.

Diablo is a pretty compelling bad guy.

wow. boys getting pissed at pixels and "if" statements.........Go millennial!

people get emotional over movies, which are just photographs played quickly in succession with audio looped over it, is there something wrong with that form of entertainment as well? Books are just ink and paper ect? Individuals can derrive whatever they choose to from any form of media, does that make them less engaged/fullfilled with it because you say so?

huge lol to it being some kind of "millenial thing" too. As if this kind of stuff didn't bother people 50 or 150 years ago. Keep reaching for that sweet low hanging fruit bud. Your generation is so much better than your kids'.

This is why I can't play WoW. Talk about some pansy shit.... I used to gank people in EQ for just sitting there and then camp their corpse until they logged off or I got bored. There was actually a good and bad side - nobody gave a shit about your feelings.

huge lol to it being some kind of "millenial thing" too. As if this kind of stuff didn't bother people 50 or 150 years ago. Keep reaching for that sweet low hanging fruit bud. Your generation is so much better than your kids'.

Also, many "millennials" are approaching 40 years old now. Doesn't really work as the "lol stupid kids" argument anymore.

It's always fun to blame everything on them. It really is the generation that failed at raising them that keeps bashing them.

Yea as just said, they are creeping up on midlife, i think most when they like to hate on millenials, picture 18 year olds. Which I believe is the children of the millenials.

To the ignorant elderly: Please just continue to use the "darn kids" comment so at least your target is always the same.

Have we confirmed the average age of these protestors? I raid with several in their 50s and some in their teens, so it is a pretty large range.

people get emotional over movies, which are just photographs played quickly in succession with audio looped over it, is there something wrong with that form of entertainment as well? Books are just ink and paper ect? Individuals can derrive whatever they choose to from any form of media, does that make them less engaged/fullfilled with it because you say so?

No but just as they are entitled to cry over a pixel, I am entitled to have a lesser opinion of them.

The axe cuts both ways.

threatening to cancel their subscriptions

tenor.gif

Is Baine alive?

The cinematics department at Blizzard rocks. I still remember the one for Bladefist four years ago and never even broke level 80.

Diablo is a pretty compelling bad guy.

########SPOILERS######

Now really, in Diablo 3 he ends up being a bitch as the prime evil, Don't cross this line take care of them my underpowered minions, then don't cross this line, and not that line, ok I guess I have to take care of you myself, and now I port you to a realm where I am the most powerful and I get trounced so I stomp the ground and channel my hosts inner PMS hissy fit.

Diablo 1 and 2's version of Diablo was a lot more convincing, I'll give you that, remember that was Blizzard North though under Brevik, but you really have to understand he is what he is by his nature and in those particular games humanity is just a casualty in the War between heaven and hell.

Brevik did make Diablo compelling but under Jay Wilson it all just became a joke.

The axe cuts both ways.

Let me point out the irony of using one of warcrafts most well known weapons to shame people emotionally invested in warcraft.

As an aside, I'm not a warcraft player, just arguing the other side of the coin.

Back