Warcraft III: Aeon of Strife & Tower Defense, anyone play? Any tips?

Kabob

2[H]4U
I migrated to Xbox 360 gaming and haven't really done the PC gaming thing. I built my computer in '04 so I don't have the power to play most of the newer games but the other day my wife had some friends over and they were watching a chick flick and I had the crazy idea to re-install Warcraft III and TFT. Wow, big mistake, I've already played through the entire WCIII campaign and I'm over half through the TFT campaign.

I remembered a game I played back in my hay day, Defense of the Ancients (formerly AoS, sorry, I got mixed up), and went online and found "the official DotA" site and such and downloaded it. It's changed...alot. There's so many more characters (when I played it I think you had 8 to choose from). Anyone have any tips? What's a solid yet easy to use character?

Also, I used to love Tower Defense games (my love was just renewed with the bonus level in the campaign, totally forgot about TD). What are some good TD maps?

Anyone play either game type on USEast?

Last edited:
My favorite TD at the moment is Green Circle TD.

Shopping Maul is another good one, and so is Wintermaul One.

I remember Wintermaul from back in the day, although I assume it's been updated a few dozen times.

Where's a good place to download some maps? Seems like if I join a room and have to DL the map from the host I get booted pretty often.

Tip for dota? Play a ton of games, start on easy right+click heroes like SK (leoric, not sand king), since he only has 1 activatable move (IIRC, I haven't played dota in half a year, been doing the HoN thing now). Play more games, learn the basics (orb walking for casters, last hitting, denying), oh, and play more games.

Don't bother with -em games, it'll just screw you up in the long run. Try and get into a private community like TDA after you get some games under your belt because you'll just be plagued with leavers and games that only last 15 min without those sort of game channels that ban leavers.

DotA tip: get a key to the HoN beta

It's the same game along with the same (sadly terrible) community, just without leavers.

Tip for dota? Play a ton of games, start on easy right+click heroes like SK (leoric, not sand king), since he only has 1 activatable move (IIRC, I haven't played dota in half a year, been doing the HoN thing now). Play more games, learn the basics (orb walking for casters, last hitting, denying), oh, and play more games.

Don't bother with -em games, it'll just screw you up in the long run. Try and get into a private community like TDA after you get some games under your belt because you'll just be plagued with leavers and games that only last 15 min without those sort of game channels that ban leavers.

OK, pretend I'm a moron and have no clue what all the abbreviations means...

SK?
HoN?
Orb Walking?
Last Hitting (I actually understand that one)
Denying?
TDA?

I remember Wintermaul from back in the day, although I assume it's been updated a few dozen times.

Where's a good place to download some maps? Seems like if I join a room and have to DL the map from the host I get booted pretty often.

Here's my Download folder.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4353693/Download.7z

Extract it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\Maps\Download

Last edited:
OK, pretend I'm a moron and have no clue what all the abbreviations means...

SK?
HoN?
Orb Walking?
Last Hitting (I actually understand that one)
Denying?
TDA?

SK - Skeleton King aka King Leoric since he specifically said, NOT Sand King
HoN - Heroes of Newerth, DOTA on the Savage 2 engine. Main objective is to update graphics , provide detailed stats, dedicated servers, ability to rejoin a game on d/c, and other new features.
Last Hitting - Getting the killing blow on a creep for gold
Denying - Getting the killing blow on a friendly creep to deny the enemy the gold and a portion of the exp
TDA - Team Dota Allstars, the Cool Kidz club (lawlz) found on US East.

I'd also suggest playing HoN over DOTA since it's basically DOTA except better. It also has less heroes right now so for someone who's new it might be easier. However, it keeps track of all your stats, so you might be discouraged when seeing your low rating and bad K: D ratio. Just try to ignore that... and hope your teammates do as well.

For Tower Defense games... the only tower defense I played over and over again (because I enjoyed it a lot) was Element TD. Not sure what version it's on, but I think they have a dedicated site so google it.

Another type of game I liked a lot in WC3 was hero defense games. Try some X Hero Siege. I think Epic War has a bunch of versions of it.

SK - Skeleton King aka King Leoric since he specifically said, NOT Sand King
HoN - Heroes of Newerth, DOTA on the Savage 2 engine. Main objective is to update graphics , provide detailed stats, dedicated servers, ability to rejoin a game on d/c, and other new features.
Last Hitting - Getting the killing blow on a creep for gold
Denying - Getting the killing blow on a friendly creep to deny the enemy the gold and a portion of the exp
TDA - Team Dota Allstars, the Cool Kidz club (lawlz) found on US East.

I'd also suggest playing HoN over DOTA since it's basically DOTA except better. It also has less heroes right now so for someone who's new it might be easier. However, it keeps track of all your stats, so you might be discouraged when seeing your low rating and bad K: D ratio. Just try to ignore that... and hope your teammates do as well.

For Tower Defense games... the only tower defense I played over and over again (because I enjoyed it a lot) was Element TD. Not sure what version it's on, but I think they have a dedicated site so google it.

Another type of game I liked a lot in WC3 was hero defense games. Try some X Hero Siege. I think Epic War has a bunch of versions of it.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I loved Hero Defense games as well, I remember playing 12 Blademasters back in TFT Beta. Also played Hero Arenas back then when it was fun.

I'll take a look for Element TD, I'll also check out HoN. I'm more of a casual gamer when it comes to PC games, I don't want to be berated for sucking...

correct me if im wrong, but orb walking is basically when you have an ability given from an orb that slows someone down each hit, and as they try to run away, you hit them once, walk towards them manually and hit them again. this way you keep up with their pace and they cant escape, they must fight, eventually die, or get saved by a teammate.

You should try some of the new games that are practically identical to DoTA but do not run on the WC3 Engine (ie they are their own games). The two most popular I am familiar with are League of Legends (free, but still very good) and Heroes of Newerth (I believe it is still in beta, but not too hard to obtain a key as they give out ALOT to already registered members).

I played both Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends for months, I have to say, LoL nailed it. I really miss denying creeps, but I can live without it. It's a lot of fun, and the blind pick matchmaking system is nice.

When I played HoN, I always felt like they put way to much visual details into spells, so when you get a big 5v5 fight going, its pretty hectic, I could never tell wtf was going on. That and the way the trees and ground texture blend together, I found it a bit ugly. too much of one color.

I played both Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends for months, I have to say, LoL nailed it. I really miss denying creeps, but I can live without it. It's a lot of fun, and the blind pick matchmaking system is nice.

When I played HoN, I always felt like they put way to much visual details into spells, so when you get a big 5v5 fight going, its pretty hectic, I could never tell wtf was going on. That and the way the trees and ground texture blend together, I found it a bit ugly. too much of one color.

LoL shifts away from DOTA gameplay mechanics. HoN's purpose was to literally copy DOTA's mechanics, items, and heroes into a new engine along with some new heroes and items.

The 'hectic' gameplay is simply a result of not being used to the visual elements. It gets very familiar quickly. At least it did for me.

HoN is it's own game? I thought it was a WC3 mod (didn't really look). My computer isn't exactly a rocket, will it run on an A64 3400+, 1GB ram, and an ATI Radeon X800 XE PE?

try league of legends, when I first saw screenshots and videos, I wasn't impressed at all. I thought it looked a bit childish and colorful, but its awesome. I've seen the game at very low settings, it should be able to run decently at those specs.

Dota (and by extension HoN) has the worst community ever. By and large a bunch of idiots who will flame you for your failings percieved or otherwise.

Im even guilty of it on occasion, especially when there is someone horrible who refuses to take advice. I would suggest saying "hi im new, sorry for sucking, got any advice?" that works on me, and you might learn something.

The 'problem' with dota/hon is that they rely on teamplay more then any other game... you literally cant do anything without your team. As such anger aimed at bad teamates is sever.

Dota (and by extension HoN) has the worst community ever. By and large a bunch of idiots who will flame you for your failings percieved or otherwise.

Im even guilty of it on occasion, especially when there is someone horrible who refuses to take advice. I would suggest saying "hi im new, sorry for sucking, got any advice?" that works on me, and you might learn something.

The 'problem' with dota/hon is that they rely on teamplay more then any other game... you literally cant do anything without your team. As such anger aimed at bad teamates is sever.

This pretty much sums up what's wrong with the game. It's fun when everyone is around the same skill level, but that doesn't happen in a pub.

Joined my first game, said I was new and asked if anyone could give tips as they could and 5 seconds later a kick window popped up
(and passed)

second game the same, but a forfeit window popped up (10 seconds in) and was spammed until passed)

third game I kept my mouth shut, and got chewed out and spam kick voted for looking at the stuff in the store

fourth game was ok, but because we started losing they spammed forfeit votes until everyone finally agreed

fifth game never happened

Joined my first game, said I was new and asked if anyone could give tips as they could and 5 seconds later a kick window popped up
(and passed)

second game the same, but a forfeit window popped up (10 seconds in) and was spammed until passed)

third game I kept my mouth shut, and got chewed out and spam kick voted for looking at the stuff in the store

fourth game was ok, but because we started losing they spammed forfeit votes until everyone finally agreed

I'm surprised they passed a kick vote. I've never had a single kick vote passed considering the other team would gladly feed off a newb and not kick him.

(and passed)

Dangit, now you've got me all skeert...maybe I'll just play the game online and get kicked for sucking. I can't win!

Methinks I'm going to start my own organization to counter MLG and all these pro gamers.. Anyone who wants to join the League of Casual Gamers (LOCG) let me know, if you're too good we kick you out. :D

Dangit, now you've got me all skeert...maybe I'll just play the game online and get kicked for sucking. I can't win!

Methinks I'm going to start my own organization to counter MLG and all these pro gamers.. Anyone who wants to join the League of Casual Gamers (LOCG) let me know, if you're too good we kick you out. :D

Their attitude has nothing to do with how good they are. There are plenty of bad players with equally bad attitudes. I've chosen to ignore online gamers in general, will save you a lot of headache in just about every game.

HoN, find a friend or two to play with you if possible and join games together. Stick to the newbie tier games and ignore the retards. It is VERY reliant on team play so you do need a good team to win and the rage is very severe. I generally am a relaxed player of games but HoN makes me say things I didn't know I could think of. :( Just ride it out until you decide whether you like the playstyle or not. Ignore/Mute is a great button on the menu, don't let other players get you down.

The community does suck but the game is just sooo much fun.

Back