Wanting To Start Reviews, Thoughts/Suggestions?

siluro

Limp Gawd
I am interested in starting up somewhat of a series of reviews on gaming mice.

I was just curious and wondering how many people on here feel like there are not enough ‘proper’ reviews on gaming mice?

What I mean by proper, in my terms, would be someone with good gaming skills who is not fazed by fancy lights, adjustable weights, and other random gimmicks we find in the market that for the most part look good on the box but do not really help improve our game. There are many of us that have tried a lot of different mice, but so few who write reviews with comparisons to the many different mice out there (it gets expensive when we’re talking 10-20+ mice…) There are only a few reviewers that come to mind with this kind of knowledge and experience, like Takasta for example, but I’m wondering how many people would be interested in having more reviews similar to that?

I was thinking of maybe starting a number of reviews myself, I have tested so many different mice out there (and by tested I mean used for more than a number of days and not just an unboxing and hour of holding it). I would be offering my critiques and thoughts on a lot of the popular options out there, and I think more importantly mixing that with some of the lesser known choices to help people make better and more informed decisions on getting the right mouse.

So would there be any interest in this? If so, care to comment on how it would maybe be best to approach this? Really I would just like to explore more of what’s out there and keep finding the next best thing. In the end, my goal would be to give everyone more options and thoughts on how some lessons known products compare with some of the best known performers and top-sellers for gaming mice.

When it comes to mice it's hard to take many reviewers seriously when they add personal opinions without extensive objective testing using third-party (non-manufacturer) software. The reviewers that go in-depth over at Overclock.net's forum are a good example of what people look for when seriously looking into mice.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but all the gaming skills in the world and preference for performance over design doesn't mean much when others' perception may differ. If you can keep an objective view and provide raw data, then many will be interested in what you have to say.

Yeah I have been considering that myself... It's going to be hard to properly collect raw data because that depends on the surface the mouse is being used on and more... Just to get consistent results would be a challenge.

Yes, I've seen some reviewers that will retest mice on another surface because someone's results were different as well. Mice enthusiasts are a tough crowd to please and they will tear you apart if they can, lol.

I think it's really tough to review mice.
You end either up doing a pretty generic review or you have a more technical review.

Most reviews are people just opening the box, fluffing the mouse and fumbling around for 5-20 minutes. Personally, I'm always left with that feeling of my time being wasted - if wanted you to explain the aesthetics and buttons of the mouse I could look it up myself and save myself minutes of endless blabbing.

So I like watching Takasta's videos but I do feel that he babbles on too much sometimes and doesn't get to the point. I don't want to be too critical but he's not an appealing presenter. He's definitely an enthusiast so I like hearing what he has to say and I appreciate his more in-depth technical analysis.

On Overclock, I really like Ino's reviews. It's a shame alot of other guys on OCN left though.

There are always subjective things a mouse company could improve on (materials, form factor, weight, placement of feet etc) but those are not particularly useful.
I feel like basically every mouse you can buy online has been described as "high quality".
You have to stick to more technical things for reviews.
The thing about technical reviews it that you only have a few tools available like Enotus for example.
Once you start talking about precision and things like that, you're entering into the subjective realm because you can't back your statements up conclusively with technical data. So it's really tough to get in-depth and let's say when you're comparing the same sensor in 2 different mice you don't have any technical tools to really prove your point.

Many people will say that corsair flubbed the 3310 sensor or the rival's 3310 isn't great either. It's the same sensor though. Alot of the solid engineering, implementation, MCU stuff actually requires you to have that technical knowledge and know-how and you basically might as well work in a mouse company at that point.

"with a 4000 dpi sensor, I moved my mouse an inch and counted my character turning....."

useless is useless

eh has anything really new and innovative come out in the mouse world the past 5 years? I just have my g500 and see no compelling reason to upgrade.

When you put it like that, no there haven't been.

However, new sensors particularly the one in the G502 are more precise and much more consistent than the laser sensor of the g500.

weights are no gimmic, i love them in my logitech G500s and previous mice, i like heavier mice.

It is hard to review as we each have our own preference, but on that note it is also have to find reviews for most mice.

It would be nice to see reviews that actually test how accurate mice track using some sort of machine that physically and accurately moves the mouse. Testing on different surfaces, different speeds and hand acceleration levels, etc.

I've only seen one review that even attempted that, but a rotating surface was used which isn't actually entirely accurate compared to something that would move straight, also only one surface was used. And that was about 10 years ago.

Yeah I've seen that too Sharknice... It would be great to be able to take measurements like that, but it's complicated, costly, and as you said only one surface was used. To do that with the actual gaming mousepads today would be a whole other struggle to get consistent results.

I get that people really might like what they currently use, and my goal isn't really to tell those people "OH you have to change and get this" but rather for anyone currently in the market looking to buy something. I want to point that person in the right direction, to make sure they do not make the mistake of getting a mouse will a really poor sensor (like the Steelseries Kinzu V2 which literally skips around). Just a little beyond that as well, show that maybe some more budget oriented mice you can get for $20 or less might still be a decent enough choice if you cannot afford the favorites.

These will be a bit subjective no doubt, but I want to go a bit beyond a simple unboxing and maybe show just a little game time that it is capable, or this is how it can go wrong for me ingame (and show the malfunction).

weights are no gimmic, i love them in my logitech G500s and previous mice, i like heavier mice.

It is hard to review as we each have our own preference, but on that note it is also have to find reviews for most mice.

I have agree about the weights. I really loved being able to get my g5 tuned perfect to my liking.

So much with mice comes down to hand size and grip type.

Im not your target audience, I bought a deathadder 6 years ago and havnt used anything else then. But I'd say go for it.

Back