Wanting to get a 1060 for 1440p instead of a 1070, a lot of naysayers though.

So you judge standards by GPU? Good to hear that. Stay out of my way please.

Jesus, do you normally get your feelings hurt so easily? Did you intentionally take his post WAY out of context or are you really that sensitive?

And if that wasn't enough, we get the grand finale...

"stay out of my way please" on an internet forum lmao

Jesus, do you normally get your feelings hurt so easily? Did you intentionally take his post WAY out of context or are you really that sensitive?

And if that wasn't enough, we get the grand finale...

"stay out of my way please" on an internet forum lmao
lol

You know whether or not you need a 1070. If you're not one of the hardcore benchmarking overclocking running 3D Mark overnight crowd, you'll be fine with a 1060.

Obviously if you're benchmarking and comparing your results to others on <insert favorite e-forum here>, you'll notice.

I had a 560ti for 6 years and just recently upgraded to a 1070 because I got a 43" 4K monitor... since all I ever play is EverQuest I can't say I even noticed much of a difference. Even Quake Champions scaled fine with the 560. Overwatch too.

If it could have driven a 4k monitor I would probably still be using it.

Depends on you.

Oh, and I'm still running Sandy Bridge.

Last edited:
For me even 1080Ti isn't enough at 4k. Some games are running at 30 fps maxed out (Wildlands). If you really go higher up res then you want visual quality, right? What's the point of going to 1440p if you can't max all the details? You will not be able to run all games maxed at 1440p with a 1060. Definitely not future games. Stay at 1080p where you can max out most of the games with a 1060 and still get decent frames?

For me even 1080Ti isn't enough at 4k. Some games are running at 30 fps maxed out (Wildlands). If you really go higher up res then you want visual quality, right? What's the point of going to 1440p if you can't max all the details? You will not be able to run all games maxed at 1440p with a 1060. Definitely not future games. Stay at 1080p where you can max out most of the games with a 1060 and still get decent frames?

A 980 Ti or 1070 will run games just fine at 1440p for quite some time and at most you usually have to drop AA settings to FXAA/SMAA. Many games also have "ultra" settings that may eat a lot of framerate for not much visual improvement especially in motion.

A 1060 at that res is not enough though, especially for future games.

You know whether or not you need a 1070. If you're not one of the hardcore benchmarking overclocking running 3D Mark overnight crowd, you'll be fine with a 1060.

Obviously if you're benchmarking and comparing your results to others on <insert favorite e-forum here>, you'll notice.

I had a 560ti for 6 years and just recently upgraded to a 1070 because I got a 43" 4K monitor... since all I ever play is EverQuest I can't say I even noticed much of a difference. Even Quake Champions scaled fine with the 560. Overwatch too.

If it could have driven a 4k monitor I would probably still be using it.

Depends on you.

Oh, and I'm still running Sandy Bridge.
You are beyond ignorant if you think having a 1070 over a 1060 at 1440p is only for bragging about 3D Mark. Just because you have shitty low standards does not mean someone cant get great use out of a 1070 at 1440p. Hell if anything a 1070 does not even come close to cutting it for 60 fps in some of the games I play at settings I want to use. I even have to turn down a setting or two in Ghost Recon Wildlands to always maintain 60 fps even with a freaking oced 1080 ti. But hey keep telling yourself a 1070 is only for bragging...

You are beyond ignorant if you think having a 1070 over a 1060 at 1440p is only for bragging about 3D Mark. Just because you have shitty low standards does not mean someone cant get great use out of a 1070 at 1440p. Hell if anything a 1070 does not even come close to cutting it for 60 fps in some of the games I play at settings I want to use. I even have to turn down a setting or two in Ghost Recon Wildlands to always maintain 60 fps even with a freaking oced 1080 ti. But hey keep telling yourself a 1070 is only for bragging...

You're cool, you're cool!!!! Someone says "you know whether you need it or not, depends on you," and you start calling them ignorant and swinging your tinkerbell member around madly... a lol.

Anyway, I believe if you take the time to actually read, the point was you know if you need a 1070 or not. I don't think anything could have been misconstrued as insulting or name-calling, but clearly you took it quite personally... Even though the mainstay of your post was that you know you need a 1070 because a 1060 doesn't run the games you play the way you want to play them.

Welcome to the entire point of the post?

He specifically said that for him med-high settings at 45-60fps would be fine with him. He's been mostly fine with his 660 on 1080p. I'm sorry it brings you to name-calling that someone might be fine with a 1060. Part of reading comprehension is understanding pragmatism -- if he thought he needed the super fastest and most awesome stuff, he wouldn't have said "I'm actually almost satisfied with the piece of shit I have now.... do I really need something top of the line?" You can infer if someone makes a statement like that, they aren't looking for top of the line and don't need it either. Unless you're beyond ignorant. You must have missed the actual title of his post.

Since you're now puffing up your fluffy e-titties and saying how ignorant someone else is because YOU know YOU NEED TEH POWER!!!! Like.... good for you and your Ghost Recon Wildlands? Congratulations. A 1060 doesn't cut it for you, I guess you know whether or not you need a 1070 then. Full circle.

Last edited:
You're cool, you're cool!!!! Someone says "you know whether you need it or not, depends on you," and you start calling them ignorant and swinging your tinkerbell member around madly... a lol.

Anyway, I believe if you take the time to actually read, the point was you know if you need a 1070 or not. I don't think anything could have been misconstrued as insulting or name-calling, but clearly you took it quite personally... Even though the mainstay of your post was that you know you need a 1070 because a 1060 doesn't run the games you play the way you want to play them.

Welcome to the entire point of the post?

He specifically said that for him med-high settings at 45-60fps would be fine with him. He's been mostly fine with his 660 on 1080p. I'm sorry it brings you to name-calling that someone might be fine with a 1060. Part of reading comprehension is understanding pragmatism -- if he thought he needed the super fastest and most awesome stuff, he wouldn't have said "I'm actually almost satisfied with the piece of shit I have now.... do I really need something top of the line?" You can infer if someone makes a statement like that, they aren't looking for top of the line and don't need it either. Unless you're beyond ignorant. You must have missed the actual title of his post.

Since you're now puffing up your fluffy e-titties and saying how ignorant someone else is because YOU know YOU NEED TEH POWER!!!! Like.... good for you and your Ghost Recon Wildlands? Congratulations. A 1060 doesn't cut it for you, I guess you know whether or not you need a 1070 then. Full circle.
:rolleyes: pretty much covers that...

my evga 670 ftw was starting to crap out (artifacts, heating up too fast etc.) I have a 1920x1200 monitor and a mild 4.2 oc 2600k. I chose the msi 6gig 1060 dual fan card because for the very near future (at most 1 year) it works well enough at this resolution. ME Andromeda runs in high 50s on high settings, PoE, LoL and Dishonored 2 all run smoothly without heating up my case (around 60c at load). However, for 1440p, the 1060 will not do as well, unless you bring down the aa and gfx settings to medium/low. It all depends on what you can accept as decent quality.

I have a 1600x, 1060 6gb, and a 1440 monitor. It plays fine in most games at 1440p. I have to turn down the textures and a few other settings at 1440 to keep the fps between 50-60 average.

1060 is fine, you just have to be ok with turning things down. 1440p is actually pretty demanding. Still a few games (Watchdogs2, Ghost Recon:Wildlands etc..) i turn things down in to get 60 fps with a 1080ti (thats at 3440x1440 instead of 2560x1440, but still close).

I mainly play games that are like 2-3 years old because I like buying them on sale instead of at $60. I have been fine with my GTX 1060 6gb playing at 5760x1080 but sometimes need to turn a few settings down. That said, I ended up buying a 1080 because the price/performance was way better. Ended up getting a 1080 Gigabyte Windforce for $370 new from Newegg after 10% eBay bucks and % back. (waiting for it to arrive tomorrow!)

Right now, 1060's and 1070's are pretty high in price (ended up selling my Gaming X for $270 used) due to mining. 1080 might be best bang for buck because the GDDR5X memory makes it worse for mining than a 1070 (performs close to 1060).

I mainly play games that are like 2-3 years old because I like buying them on sale instead of at $60. I have been fine with my GTX 1060 6gb playing at 5760x1080 but sometimes need to turn a few settings down. That said, I ended up buying a 1080 because the price/performance was way better. Ended up getting a 1080 Gigabyte Windforce for $370 new from Newegg after 10% eBay bucks and % back. (waiting for it to arrive tomorrow!)

Right now, 1060's and 1070's are pretty high in price (ended up selling my Gaming X for $270 used) due to mining. 1080 might be best bang for buck because the GDDR5X memory makes it worse for mining than a 1070 (performs close to 1060).
Tell me more...1080 in this price range interests me. I reckon if I can convince myself to stop mining with my single 580 I can sell it and get a 1080 with the proceeds. Had been looking at the Gigabyte 1070 Mini ITX before 1070 prices also got jacked up. It was in the $360 range.

Back