Wanting to build a "Movie box" for my daughter

spadefoot

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to replace the DVD/TV in my daughter's room with a PC and a LCD. I'd like to rip her DVD collection to a hard drive and have a fairly simple interface she can use to pick movies.

I have a SFF machine that I've installed Win7 on. It's an Athlon64 4000+ with 2gb RAM and 160gb HD, which should be plenty for playing movies and the occasional trip to the Sesame Street website (She's 3). I have AnyDVD HD on my HTPC in the living room, and I can use that to rip the DVD's (I've never actually done it, it came with the HTPC when I bought it).

Any suggestions? Regular TV-quality is fine, and regular stereo audio is fine. What should I be aiming for, as far as quality for encoding/file size? Any suggestions as far as interface choice? WMP is on there, of course, and I suppose that'll work with a little training on her part. AnyDVD my best choice for ripping?

DVDFab HD Decrypter > VIDEO_TS > Handbrake > Default "Film" preset > 1 GB MKV file

Windows 7 Media Center + Media Browser = Perfection.

Last edited:
While I can't comment on the ripping process, I highly suggest Media Browser, along with MetaBrowser for collection Meta Data and maybe even some Stark Covers to pretty up the DVD covers.

AnyDVD Decrypter > VIDEO_TS > Handbrake > Default "Film" preset > 1 GB MKV file

Windows 7 Media Center + Media Browser = Perfection.

Any suggestions on a script or automation method for that workpath? Ideally, I'd like to feed it a dvd every time i walk by and have it start the process unattended.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Any suggestions on a script or automation method for that workpath? Ideally, I'd like to feed it a dvd every time i walk by and have it start the process unattended

You can create a queue in Handbrake.

That will only help him once he has the DVD's ripped. AFAIK there is no easy method to go straight from DVD to encoded file in 1 step.

What are you talking about? You can rip and encode with handbrake right from the DVD. I've done it many times, although..it's not as clean as ripping via AnyDVD and then queing them up, it can be done.

What are you talking about? You can rip and encode with handbrake right from the DVD. I've done it many times, although..it's not as clean as ripping via AnyDVD and then queing them up, it can be done.

Handbrake will not rip DVD's on its own. It does not have the ability to dycrypt them built in. It used to, but it was taken out of new builds quite awhile ago.

Do try and keep up. :D

Untitled-108.png

Last edited:
I must be still using an older version..lol. I can't keep up like I used too..just don't have the time anymore. Now i'm sticking with what works..lol.

wow, handbrake can't go straight from DVD even with AnyDVD-HD any more??

It can't go staight to from DVD to an encoded file on its own. You need to dycrypt/rip the VIDEO_TS folder first, then point Handbrake to that.

I recommend DVDFab HD Dycrypter.

Back