Wanted - Your opinions re: Xbox 360 or a WII

The majority of the opinions here are pointing to the 360, which is the way I have been leaning all along. Most everyone provided a reasonable basis for their opinions and, for me, has pretty much confirmed that the 360 is what suits me best.

Tommorrow is pay day, I may have to go 360 shopping.....

Thanks for the helpful information.

Good choice! If you want some family games.. shoot for Kameo and Viva Pinata. There are also a whole SLEW of arcade games available (all have free demos). You wife will likely enjoy those more then anything but who knows. :confused:

Anyways, congrats and welcome aboard.

I think that all children need to overcome their fear of the walking dead ..so "Dead Rising" would help to eleviate those fears and teach your children that there is more than one way to re-kill a zombie

I know if I was with my family stuck in a mall with hundreds of non-living creatures coming after me to eat me and my family ... I sure wouldnt want my kids "freezing" in fright or confusion not knowing what to do next ...

Wait.

I don't think the Wii will be like the Gunkcube but I don't think it's wise to buy now. Yes it may be fun but what games are coming out? There aren't a ton of good titles coming out because it's new. Think it will be the system to beat once the software makers get off their behinds and really work for the Wii. Once they see the systems being sold they will work harder.

The Junkbox does have a much bigger library and the GOOD games are finally starting to come out. However it is too much $ to invest in order to have a decent time with it. Once the price comes down it will be better investment. After recently becoming a PC gamer I now see what everyone said about FPS. Doesn't feel anywhere near the same as PC.

Good choice! If you want some family games.. shoot for Kameo and Viva Pinata.
Calling either of those family games is nuts. Have you ever even played Kameo? It has cutish graphics, but the game is about shapeshifting and mudering lots of hideous beasts. It's not a family game, it's a gamer's game.

Even Viva Pinata isn't a family game. It's a one player game that's surprisingly inaccessible to people who aren't gamers. It's not some Animal Crossing clone. Far from it.

Get the 360. It'll give you a better experience for you personally if you like PC-style games. Don't fool yourself into thinking there are some great family games there, though, because there aren't. Wii Sports, Rayman RR, and Super Monkey Ball are family games that literally everyone can easily get into. Even my dad, who never played a video game in his life, was bowling and playing tennis and throwing hammers with the rest of us and having a great time. Add in Zelda and some GC titles (Metroid Prime 2, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 4, Paper Mario 2, etc) and you'll have a great first person experience as well, especially with the upcoming Wii games.

Personally, I bought the Wii because I play PC-style games (sports, RPG, FPS) on my PC. I don't need another expensive system to play mostly the same types of games. I bought the Wii because it offered something unique that I could enjoy with other people (other people who aren't gamers).

BTW, I don't want to imply that there's something wrong with buying the 360 for yourself. Far from it. I just want you to know what you're getting into. The 360 will be a device for yourself alone.. the Wii will probably actually get your family involved in it *together* more than you expect.

Calling either of those family games is nuts. .

so , picking up a troll and sticking him to the spikes on your back and then being able to either bash other trolls with him or just simply throw that troll off a cliff isn't good wholesome family fun?

...darn

The fact that Microsoft bought out rare....... At least it shows MS is trying to market to familys. Obviously Perfect Dark Zero is far from a family game but, Kameo, Viva Pinata and the future Banjo Kazoie should be appealing to most family members. I know myself, at 17, am more interested in Gears and Oblivion etc. But my bro picked up both Viva and Kameo and i dont have trouble enjoying them. And hell Banjo Kazooie 3 will be a buy for me. I have a Wii and honestly, Wii sports and Rayman was cool and all for the first 2 weeks, but since then the only game i play is Zelda(imo Game of the year).

Wow, that turned into a ramble. Anyways my point being, MS is trying to market to familys and Wii novelty may where off.

Just my two cents.

Kameo ... should be appealing to most family members.
You've never played Kameo I see. Kameo is a game where you run around killing monsters. It's no more family-friendly than Resident Evil. You can turn into a giant spiked monster and run around grabbing other monsters and tossing them up onto your spikes, leaving them impaled and bleeding on your back as you chase down more monsters. Yeah, family game. Awesome.

It looks super cute in screenshots, but the game is a brutal action-adventure game.

Viva Pinata is cute too, but it's not a family game. It's a 1-player game that the daughter or wife will have 0 interest in. It's not Animal Crossing. Pinatas get *killed* for crying out loud. My girlfriend plays Final Fantasy and Zelda in addition to the cute Nintendo games (Animal Crossing, Mario, etc) and she could not hold interest in Viva Pinata. Viva Pinata is not in any universe a family game.

I know myself, at 17, am more interested in Gears and Oblivion etc. But my bro picked up both Viva and Kameo and i dont have trouble enjoying them. And hell Banjo Kazooie 3 will be a buy for me. I have a Wii and honestly, Wii sports and Rayman was cool and all for the first 2 weeks, but since then the only game i play is Zelda(imo Game of the year).

Wow, that turned into a ramble. Anyways my point being, MS is trying to market to familys and Wii novelty may where off.

Just my two cents.
At least the Wii has some family games. The 360 doesn't.

And maybe Wii Sports and Rayman and Monkey Ball will get old, but there is Zelda. There are a ton of awesome Gamecube games that play natively on the system with a $15 GC controller.

Like I said, the 360 will definitely give a superior experience for someone looking to play mostly PC-style games by themselves. You can play with multiple people if you have buddies who are also gamers.

Just be prepared to accept that your family will never play it and buy it if that's what you want. If you want something your family might play, don't delude yourself into thinking the wife will enjoy throwing monsters down pits or cutting them in half in Kameo or watching pinatas get murdered in Viva Pinata. It ain't gonna happen.

But she might enjoy the Wii quite a bit.

Honestly, my wife isn't a factor in the decision of "She will enjoy a Wii more than a 360". My wife literally gets into playing games for a day or two, then will never touch that game again. She persoanlly thinks video games are a waste of time. (Time wasted that is enjoyed, is not wasted time, IMO).

The wife factor comes in when it involves the decision if the kids are allowed to play it. She has mentioned that she "MAY" let them play the Wii, but wouldnt let them play the Xbox, solely on the possibility that the kids "MAY" be a bit more physically active playing a Wii. The kids do get to play gameboys 3 times a week for an hour each time or on road trips, plane rides, etc. I also have a full size MAME arcade machine I built to play all the classic titles like Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Galaga, etc that the kids can choose to play over the gameboy on the 3 times a week schedule.

No matter which console I choose, it is primarily for ME, with some limited kid time.

The ONLY tempting thing for me regarding the Wii is the new Zelda (maybe price too), other than that I am all over the 360 titles. Halo 3, Gears, etc.

I have to recommend the xbox360, especially to PC gamers. It really does have a lot going for it: original exclusive games (not sequel # 4-13), xbox live, xbl arcade games, multimedia functions, downloadable movies and shows, friends features, graphics, pricing, controller, HD scaling, accessories (HD-DVD drive, wireless steering wheel, wireless headset, vision cam, etc.) and more.

I picked up the Wii couple weeks ago. The WiiMote is fun and I enjoyed Zelda, but probably would have just as happy playing Zelda on the $80 gamecube.

You've never played Kameo I see. Kameo is a game where you run around killing monsters. It's no more family-friendly than Resident Evil. .

there is a bit of a difference between cartoonie "cutesy" characters getting all mid-evil and dead people eating human flesh me thinks ... :p

[F]old|[H]ard

The ONLY tempting thing for me regarding the Wii is the new Zelda (maybe price too), other than that I am all over the 360 titles. Halo 3, Gears, etc.
Absoltuely get the 360 then. It would be silly to buy a Wii

i wish my gf would turn into a gamer, that would be so nice :).

it's kind of depressing hearing 'my wife allows me to' posts or 'does not allow me to.'

meh... it's so stupid i think.

You've never played Kameo I see. Kameo is a game where you run around killing monsters. It's no more family-friendly than Resident Evil. You can turn into a giant spiked monster and run around grabbing other monsters and tossing them up onto your spikes, leaving them impaled and bleeding on your back as you chase down more monsters. Yeah, family game. Awesome.

Hence why i said most family members, you may not let your 4 year old play but i dont see anything wrong with most 7-10 kids playing it. What does concern me is that you compare Kameo to Resident Evil? Sure its violence, but its cartoonish violence. If you were to compare things that way you could say that Mario burns people alive with fireballs. Thats far from a realistic perception.

Overall the point of the post is that Microsoft is trying.

Hence why i said most family members, you may not let your 4 year old play but i dont see anything wrong with most 7-10 kids playing it. What does concern me is that you compare Kameo to Resident Evil? Sure its violence, but its cartoonish violence. If you were to compare things that way you could say that Mario burns people alive with fireballs. Thats far from a realistic perception.

Overall the point of the post is that Microsoft is trying.
I wasn't comparing it to RE to say that Kameo is too violent for kids.

I wasn't even comparing the games directly. I said that Kameo is no more a family game than RE. Neither are family games. They are games for people who play video games. They're games for gamers. They're both similar in that a "normal" person is simply not interested in playing that style of game. Kameo has cute graphics, but the general conceit of the game is similar.. you run around, solving occasional puzzles, jumping around, looking for secret doors/areas/items, killing random monsters as you go, etc etc. Try to get to the end and kill the end boss and you win.

It's not a family game because it's a game for gamers. It's not Animal Crossing or Wii Sports or The Sims that a non-gamer will be interested in, because the goals of the experience are so different.

you want to get a wii...
you need to get a wii...

I say this because not only is it a totally different and fun experience, but it is a new way of life!
In all seriousness though, if you are already a PC gamer, why get a 360?! Because all it is, is a neat little gaming computer wrapped up without all the normal awesome features of a computer! 360 even uses the game programming language as a computer, Direct X, so most games will be ported to a comp if they are good. IE ->Oblivion
People will say to you, OH GOD THE GRAPHICS! HD man! It's AMAZING! but you can get the graphics with your computer.
What "different" games are there for the 360? The wii is reinventing how you play games. The only wii game I have played and didn't really like was monkey ball, only because they totally Fed up multiplayer. I even had fun playing excite truck, and I generally hate racing games except for Mario Kart. It's not $50 fun but when I can find it cheap $20 fun!
Experience something new, and enjoy games the way you have always enjoyed them on your PC.
:D

you want to get a wii...
you need to get a wii...
People will say to you, OH GOD THE GRAPHICS! HD man! It's AMAZING! but you can get the graphics with your computer.

:D

Actually I cant get the graphics on my pc, well yes and no. I have a 52" HDTV that is just old enough not to have a DVI or VGA input, and the component HDTV out of my graphics card just doesn't look that good on my TV.

ANyway, I already have purchased the 360, and must say...it is AWESOME. I also scored a nice deal on it as well. Best Buy was selling the Madden 07 bundle for $399 so I figured I might as well get it for the same price as the console. It turns out the Madden disc wasn't working properly so Best Buy told me to take a retail copy off the shelf for free, but they were out of stock, so I got Gears of War for FREE!

I am very impressed with all the features the 360 offers. No buyers remorse here.

rbarr110, how do the Xbox 360's visuals look compared to your PC...I'm thinking of getting one myself because I can't afford a new computer at this point, but want to play some of the upcoming releases.

They are 100% on par with any current PC. I could not believe it at 1st, but they are. I really was shocked. It will also depend on what you will be playing it on. Like I am on a nice HD with 720 and it looks fucking amazing. :D Now that I know the grafx of the 360 = to a PC... I am no longer strictly a PC gamer. The 360 comes 1st now. I love being able to sit in my living room with fam and friends and play. No more sitting alone in my office.

rbarr110, how do the Xbox 360's visuals look compared to your PC...I'm thinking of getting one myself because I can't afford a new computer at this point, but want to play some of the upcoming releases.

In my opinion, the 360 graphics are as good and defianltely better than some PC's graphics. However, PC graphics are only as good as the system and as good as the game is programmed to look.

My PC runs (2) 7800GT's in SLI and has very solid graphics horsepower and games look great on my 20" widescreen LCD monitor.

I have an older 52" (4:3 with widescreen capability) HDTV and thought the 360 wouldn't look as nice, but man, it is a HUGE upgrade visually compared to my original XBOX. I picked up a used copy of PGR3 and its graphics smokes all the racing games I have played/tried on my PC.

Awesome, I think I am going to pick one up this friday. I'm a pretty big fan of WW 2 games, so I'm thinking about picking up Call of Duty 3, but then I hear MOH: Airborne, and Brother's in Arms: Hell's highway are coming out, so I might just wait for those and get something else until than. Oblivion looks pretty damn nice:cool:

Thanks

I was running an 8800GTX w/ 2GB of ram and an [email protected] ..and I am ready to give up pc gaming (all but CS:S that is :) ) and just game on the X360

..currently tho , I gave up my 8800GTX and am running just a lowly 7800GTX OC now .. :(

:p

the xbox 360 is that good eh? An 8800GTX seems mighty hard to top....Athough nothing beats the convenience of a gaming system in your living room:)

I'm running an athlon xp with 1gig ram, and a 9800 pro, and its having trouble running most of the newer games at decent settings...obviously.

Im almost sure I'm going for the xbox 360, although the PS3 is an option. I think the xbox controller looks a little more ergonomic and refined.

the xbox 360 is that good eh? An 8800GTX seems mighty hard to top....
I think that's less the 360 and more the lack of PC games with excellent graphics.

An 8800GTX would be able to smoke the 360. I've no doubt it would be able to do Gears of War in 1600x1200 with the same framerate.

I think that's less the 360 and more the lack of PC games with excellent graphics.

An 8800GTX would be able to smoke the 360. I've no doubt it would be able to do Gears of War in 1600x1200 with the same framerate.

of course the 8800gtx would smoke an x360 visually ... but gaming alone in my cubby hole and gaming on my couch with my sister and brother-in-law are totally different experiences.

graphically , the x360 holds up well to top end pc's that are out today based on games that are actually out in circulation right now ..tomorrow could be a totally different story tho

sounds about right:)

Anyone know of any sweet deals on a 360 before I got out to walmart?

Thanks

If you don't want your parents/inlaws messing with your console, get a 360. If you want to watch your parents/inlaws playing bowling with your kids, get a Wii. :)

360, Wii hasn't gotten any of my attention for a LONG time, 360 hasn't for the past week(lol I'm hooked on this http://www.cybernations.net/ )

And I'm too broke to buy another 360 game right now, I can't justify $50 for excite truck either.

I really wanna pick up Zelda and finish it....but I'm stuck in this rut of, *gasp*, actually doing decent in school and pulling my GPA up from a 2.8 first quarter to 3.3 second, right now I plan on having a 3.5+ 3rd quarter(hey I get a %100 on my computer class exam, I fucking pwned that shit, highest score)

This is a tough group to ask. You'd be better asking on a family forum if you're looking for a family opinion. You're asking hard core gamers what system to get so you're going to get a hard core gamer answer.

I use my PC for most games, but if you look at my Wii there are about 30 Mii's on there. There are like 6 people in my family who use it. The other 24 are from all of my sister's friends and boyfriends coming over to play the Wii. I think there is more hours on my Wii since the beginning of December than I had on my PS2 for the past 3 years.

At least in my family, no one will touch the PS2, and i don't think anyone ever did besides me. I actually play my Wii less than the rest of my family because I can't get on it most of the time.

Back