wanted: unlimited youtube or data cheap

d50man

2[H]4U
wanted: unlimited youtube or wireless data and not that 22gb of 4G stuff I need true unlimited 4G
I need some entertainment when I have ALOT of downtime and no wifi.
southeastern U.S. north carolina zip 28601

currently have 2X metropcs unlimited lines and burn it all up 2-3 weeks in using lower quality.
currently throttled to 128kbit or 12KB

Tmoblie now will not throttle till you hit 50gb. But you need to pay extra for hd video.

There are no carriers in the US that offer truly unlimited data an any price. Sure, there are some folks that happen to download some pretty extreme amounts (I saw a Verizon user at another forum recently post his data usage for September 2017 and it was like 417TB on his smartphone for 27 days and the month wasn't even over yet) but in general the carriers don't offer truly unlimited in terms of actual bandwidth - they will use the technicality of saying they don't cut you off as "unlimited" but they do eventually throttle people at some point unless you slip between the cracks like that Verizon user seems to have done. "Unlimited" to the carriers means "we won't pull the plug on you, we'll just slow you down to sub-dialup speeds that will irritate you pretty severely... but the connection is still there and you can still use it" basically.

T-Mobile does offer that Binge On program that gives you unlimited video streaming from the popular sites like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Google Play Movies and TV, etc. I've been using T-Mobile's unadvertised $30/month plan for almost 6 years now, and they include this plan in Binge On - my plan comes with 5GB of data at max speed then throttled down to sub-dialup speed (I've only had that happen twice in almost 6 years since I use Wi-Fi the majority of the time), 100 mins of talk (irrelevant since I only use my Google Voice number for everything which is VoIP stuff anyway), and unlimited texts.

Last month I had almost 17GB of YouTube viewing (my Wife tethered to my device for various periods of time) and of course none of that shows up against my 5GB data limit before throttling. Hell, I run Speedtest.net tests constantly whenever I move around because it helps T-Mobile improve their network (they get diagnostic results from the testing) and that doesn't count against my 5GB data either - in September I did like 14GB speed tests so, it's not like they're hurting for bandwidth. :)

And even though the streaming from YouTube and other sources is supposed to be limited to 720x480 resolution streaming, once a video starts to play if I manually alter the settings to provide 1280x720 resolution I still don't get hit for the data and the video quality is what it should be for that resolution. Just because they tell you you can only stream 720x480 doesn't necessarily mean it's so but by default it will start the stream at 720x480 after which you alter it manually to the proper HD resolution - my current smartphone has a 1280x720 display panel so, it works out perfect.

Yes MetroPCS is on the same network and owned by T-Mobile but they don't offer the same plan features as Binge On with T-Mobile directly so it's something to consider. If you've owned your MetroPCS device for a while you can get it unlocked to work on T-Mobile's network (it doesn't do that by default even though it technically is the same network - there's a network lock in place) for free using the unlock app on the device. If you have a non-MetroPCS device that's already GSM unlocked all you'd need is to sign up for T-Mobile and run with it.

What Tiberian said. like it or not, you're not going to find true unlimited data from a national carrier in the US, certainly not at a low price.

Your best bet is to get a provider that won't subject you to the possibility of throttling quite so quickly, even if it means paying more than you're used to. If MetroPCS is throttling you at 22GB with 2-3 weeks, then T-Mobile's 50GB should get you through an entire month.

Back