Wanted some opinions on computer setup

AthlonXP

Fully [H]
With my wife going back to school I was looking to consolidate my computers. One option I have is to go with an Alienware 15/17 and when at home use the graphics amplifier for more horsepower. The other option is to just build a mid-range skylake setup. I already sold off my X99 monster desktop so was looking for other options.

I guess having the Alienware with graphics amp [already have the gtx 980ti sitting at home] is appealing since I can also game on the go or go to a buddies house. I guess the only 2 reservations I have with this option are price and thoughts that the portability would only come in play 4-5 times a year.

Going with the skylake setup obviously would be a cheaper solution, but I loose the versatility.

So I come to my Hardforum brethren for some advise.

With my wife going back to school I was looking to consolidate my computers. One option I have is to go with an Alienware 15/17 and when at home use the graphics amplifier for more horsepower. The other option is to just build a mid-range skylake setup. I already sold off my X99 monster desktop so was looking for other options.

I guess having the Alienware with graphics amp [already have the gtx 980ti sitting at home] is appealing since I can also game on the go or go to a buddies house. I guess the only 2 reservations I have with this option are price and thoughts that the portability would only come in play 4-5 times a year.

Going with the skylake setup obviously would be a cheaper solution, but I loose the versatility.

So I come to my Hardforum brethren for some advise.

Skylake is probably the best choice for your budget if not a 5 generation or high end 4th generation core i-series with OS guard and all the other new security features. If your a gamer that will improve tremendously coming from an Athlon XP as well, so getting this or a newer AMD equivalent if there is such a thing will definitely be noticable and will improve your gaming experience significantly. All other options like 2011 might be to expensive if you have a low budget too, so consider that as well and that your getting similiar security features for far less being spent. Max Memory shouldn't be to much of a problem either as systems in this range can support plenty at up to 32 GB unless you actually need more then get a 1356 or 2011 i7 or Xeon and if you want it to last a few years longer.

Last edited:
Man I am writing you from Alienware 17 R3, with Gefore GTX 970 and Skylake 6th gen. It is the best notebook I've ever had for games and work. It's battery holds 4,5 -5 hours.

Back