Wanted: Mid Tower with as many external 5.25" as possible

myren

Limp Gawd
tl;dr: I need a mid tower case with as many external 5.25" drives as humanly possible. No bigass "cube" cases or full tower cases.

My friends and I are finally looking at setting up a colo box, and we found a great deal with a provider that will host mid tower colo boxes. We want to stuff as many hard drives as we can in this box, and the hard drives need to be easily accessible. So, we're looking for a mid-tower case that has as many external 5.25" bays as possible, so we can stuff the bays full of hard drive racks. We plan on using these addtronics hard drive bays.

Strange request-- any pointers? Thanks guys.

That wasnt as hard as i thought. Google's willful ignorance of punctuation made the search relatively straightforwards.

google.com/search?q="10+5.25+external": m923 ultra
google.com/search?q="9+external+5.25":
has quite a few hits. I'm partial to the centurion 590, the price is right, looks to have similarly good ventilation to the centurion 5 i own, and 9 bays is enough to fit 3x 5-drive SATA hotswap bays. thats more than enough expansion for a long long time.

i've dealt with three centurions; overall they are fine cases but two out of the three the side panel never cleanly attached. i managed to it screwed down, but the panel is never all the way forwards and it took hella force to get the screw in.

Edit:
@SevenWords: right on, I just found that case too and it looks like a real winner.

I'm posting an open question about the drive racks on the hard drives subforum. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll reference it.

For the price, I would go with the Centurion 590. If you got the cash, go for a Lian-Li A17

Back