Wanted: micro or mini mobo that has integrated Intel nic

So I'm looking to buy a mobo that is either micro ATX or mini ITX in the core 2 (775) family. I am surprised to see how many Intel-brand boards that all use the Realtek chips. I'd have thought Intel would use INTEL nic chips. Is there a certain northbride/southbridge configuration I should be looking for to clue me in if the mobo has the Intel NIC?

Any thoughts about Intel vs Realtek vs Atheros vs Other integrated controllers?

Recommendations?

I was looking at this Asus board P5G41T-M LX but it doesn't say anything about an Intel NIC so I'm assuming not.

It's going to be a pfsense firewall build so it also must include at least one other type of expansion slot (PCI, PCIe) so I can add more NIC(s).

Thanks.

Last edited:
On the red side, 10/100 is fine but most I've seen are 10/100/1000. I'm only on a 40Mb connection for red. On the green, once again, 10/100 is needed but most are 10/100/1000 these days. All other LAN gear is Gb via CAT6. I don't need any more than a total of two connections. Blue is handled else where, as well as orange.

I currently have a build using "extra" parts (old Trendnet and Realtek cards) and I've noticed that my ping rates are really sucking and aren't consistent through the day or even at the same time of day spanning across multiple days. So I'd like to build a system with known good cards.

The PCIe 1x would be fine, I think, for an expansion card. I won't need a dual port card as long as the mobo has it already integrated.

thx.

I would suspect its either the lan (internet ) provider getting busy on your line or old drivers.
Just a thought.

What is the rest of your existing rig like? any reason you can't just drop some intel NICs in it rather than rebuilding everything?

Though TBH I suspect your real problem is more likely your ISP.

The current hardware is an old Dell microATX OptiPlex GX240 (1.5GHz Intel P4, 1GB, realtek onboard contoller and then something else add-on. Maybe another no name or possibly a 3Com - I remember having a few of those old NICs lying around at one point)

Intel network chipsets are expensive that's one reason why most manufacturers use some third-party one. Why not just buy some Intel cards instead of a complete rebuild? Even some proven Realtek cards. Aside from premium and server boards very few use Intel chipsets. If it doesn't explicitly state it then it is not. Realtek, Marvell, Broadcom are roughly the same quality and are the most common. Atheros is rare for wired. I would avoid NVIDIA.

Back