Want XP duals, how to do it again?

evildre

[H]F Junkie
I have two AMD Athlon XP 2200+ processors (AXDA2200DUV3C) and an Asus A7M266-D motherboard. I tried the pencil trick on the L5 bridge as was suggested, but it didn't work. How do I go about getting these two CPUs to work together in said motherboard?

looks like a post for the smp forum, i'm sure those bozos would know what to do. you could also try maybe the 2cpu forums. I'm jealous of your upcoming smp goodness.

LOL forgot we had one of those ... I figured, they're AMD procs and an AMD chipset, might as well throw it in here :D

Also, I don't remember the names of the different AXP CPUs off the top of my head, but these are the ones that don't have any writing on the core; the model number is painted onto the OPGA package in a black rectangle. I totally forget what that's called ;)

their .13 micron chips, cores got to small to write the info on. if their 2200+'s then they are probably "A" cores, not "B"s which are much better overclockers. However, i'm sure they will serve you well in a dualie setup. What are you going to do with a dual cpu machine anyways? I would burn DVD's without having my system come to a crawl. My Xp rigs are pretty good, but they freak out if i try and burn and do anything else, its like i have to turn off screen savers, and leave them alone till their done.

I'm doing a ton of graphics stuff here at work, and it would be nice to have some extra horsepower. We just so happened to have an A7M266-D laying around, and we got some RMAs for dead Athlon XPs, which came back as 2200+'s. My desk is in the front of the shop, and my comp sits on top of my desk. It has neon and a window so the customers can gawk, which they usually do :D ...and what better to gawk at than a dual-CPU machine?

I'm working off of this image and have used a pencil to short the bridges that need shorting, but it doesn't go. The motherboard reports that neither CPU0 nor CPU1 support multiprocessing configurations.

Funny thing is, I have a .18 micron 1700+ that supports MP ... now if only I could find a match for it :(

I remember there was a site on how to do it, but it's been so long I forgot where it was. Have you tried a google search? I also thought copper paint or a conductive pen were preferable to a pencile. Wish I could help more.

wtiger said:
I remember there was a site on how to do it, but it's been so long I forgot where it was. Have you tried a google search? I also thought copper paint or a conductive pen were preferable to a pencile. Wish I could help more.

I got some hits from Google, but many are instructions for the 0.18 micron XPs. I also tried this, because there is an XP and an MP side-by-side in that image. I figured it would work, but needless to say it didn't.

I'll have to head over to an auto parts shop or something to grab a conductive pen. I've had good results with the pencil trick ... I've unlocked an 800MHz Duron before and was able to OC it pretty damn nicely on air cooling :D

Is there a site that details the function of all of the different bridges so I can try to deduce which ones to short? I'm really, really antsy ... I've never worked on a dual-proc machine for long :D

On the newer CPU’s all you need is the silver lacquer and a pin. If you look you will see the last L-5 bridge is open. This is the only bridge you can do this particular trick with:

Fill the “gap” between the gold dots with a pin full of the silver paint. Push it in, wiggle it (the pin) around a lot. Let it dry and see if it will function as SMP, if not do it again. I have 3 of these boards with modded Bartons in them and the trick works great.

The reason this won’t work with the other traces is, the L-5 actually goes to ground to make the CPU SMP. Don’t fill the gaps on any other trace.

The latest bios for that Asus board will let you take a chip to it’s limits. I do very strongly suggest you do the voltage mod on the chip as well. The VRM’s on that Asus board are not really happy with the newer chips current requirements, doing the voltage mod on the CPU makes it all work.

Luck

Feel free to PM me if you have any issues.

Back