Want to use spare power supply to power some fans... how?

Omegaslast

Limp Gawd
My entertainment center gets hot as hell with a 360 in it and an onkyo receiver... i drilled some holes for some 120mm fans (antec ones i had lying around) in the back and now all i gotta do is power them somehow... i have this crappy ultra 500w power supply ($5 at frys!) that i figure i can use, but how do i make it so the power supply dosent need a mobo?? Right now i flip the switch on the PSU and obviously nothing happens because theres no mobo connected.. so how do i bypass that?

is there a guide of somesort on how to do this or do i just go for it?? (hopefully i dont kill myself.. wooooo!)

For extra credit, mount a nice-looking NO switch across those two wires. That way you can turn the fans off if so desired.

coincidence- saw something on ebay which would do ya.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200063887601&rd=1&rd=1

Although this is a bit more than you need to spend... You just need a small 12v transformer with enough current. Chop off both wire connectors and wire it straight to the fan (in a good safe way).

Running a psu outside the case... with alot of wires and exposed connectors all over.... seems unsafe to me. You might get alot of EMI too.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back