Want to use spare power supply to power some fans... how?

Omegaslast

Limp Gawd
My entertainment center gets hot as hell with a 360 in it and an onkyo receiver... i drilled some holes for some 120mm fans (antec ones i had lying around) in the back and now all i gotta do is power them somehow... i have this crappy ultra 500w power supply ($5 at frys!) that i figure i can use, but how do i make it so the power supply dosent need a mobo?? Right now i flip the switch on the PSU and obviously nothing happens because theres no mobo connected.. so how do i bypass that?

Omegaslast

Limp Gawd
is there a guide of somesort on how to do this or do i just go for it?? (hopefully i dont kill myself.. wooooo!)

unhappy_mage

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2005
For extra credit, mount a nice-looking NO switch across those two wires. That way you can turn the fans off if so desired.

venm11

2[H]4U
coincidence- saw something on ebay which would do ya.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200063887601&rd=1&rd=1

Although this is a bit more than you need to spend... You just need a small 12v transformer with enough current. Chop off both wire connectors and wire it straight to the fan (in a good safe way).

Running a psu outside the case... with alot of wires and exposed connectors all over.... seems unsafe to me. You might get alot of EMI too.