want to use my cans on an xbox, what are my options ?

SoFGR

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm about to buy an xbox 360 soon so it would be really sweet to use my dt150s or any other pair of my collection to pick up the direction of footsteps and gunfire in halo3 and other fps games, what's the best way to do it ?

1) xbox 360 > x-fi titanium through spdif-in > headphones

2) xbox 360 > audio-gd compass > headphones

or
3) xbox 360 > dolby headphone receiver ( which one ? )

I don't feel like dumping my compass or anything since i paid a lot of money for it, is it possible to make it work together with a dolby headphone amp or something ? please help a noob out

AFAIK compass accepts only regular stereo through spdif, although it has no problems copeing with my x-fi on hardware openAL games like ut3 with headphone cmss3d enabled, i just don't think that a plain stereo signal will have accurate enough positioning in comparison to dolby headphone proscessing, am i wrong ?

I say option #1.

The X-Fi has CMSS-3D, which should simulate 3D environments while in Headphone mode.

You can have very good positioning with "plain" stereo, especially if you have good headphones. The DT150s are definitely good headphones, but they could really use better amplification like the Compass provides.

CMSS-3D is a nice idea, but one that still has issues. I'm also not sure whether it works at all on a pre-existing signal. At worst, I would feed the X-Fi into the Compass over analog.

You should be able to pass the Xbox360's digital output to the X-Fi's Digital input, and then X-Fi Digital output to the Compass (if I'm reading the abilities of the device right)

it'll do passthrough, or you can toy with the signal a bit (afaik)

as far as Dolby Headphone vs nothing, a lot of games may not have Dolby Headphone or EAX or things like that, but remember they still have some sort of 3D audio processing, and you should be able to pick up plenty of information from that, I think Dolby Headphone helps more with movies (like for decoding Dolby 5.1 to headphones)

next question of the day is: would CMSS-3D actually work on an incoming signal like that? (I honestly dont know if it would, I know it will work from stuff generated "within" the computer, like PC games, but I don't know if it will work (or if it will help) an external source, since the computer isn't actually processing the audio?)

next question of the day is: would CMSS-3D actually work on an incoming signal like that? (I honestly dont know if it would, I know it will work from stuff generated "within" the computer, like PC games, but I don't know if it will work (or if it will help) an external source, since the computer isn't actually processing the audio?)

yea can somebody verify that ? most ppl i know use their x-fi with a 360/ps3 only when they want to use their speakers

Back