Want to start some Linux

Sowexly

Gawd
I've really never used Linux but experience in it is important to me because I'm going to school for Computer Engineering.

I think I should start with Ubuntu because of community support, but I have a question for you.
Should I create a separate partition for it or just use Wubi to install it with Windows?

Last edited:
Only create another partition if you plan on using it a lot.
Also keep in mind that 90+ % of the other students will never have touch linux/unix before.

As a 4th year CE, the amount of linux you need to know is extremely low.
If you can use the terminal to do simple things like create folders, change directories, copy files, archive/unarchive files, then you will be all set.

Oh my I was really looking forward to getting my Linux on...
What would you priorities as solid software/OS knowledge?

nothing you can afford...
some of the software costs more than a car on a yearly license...

the software you will be using is very specialized and you can't just start using it being instructed how to do so.

what you could do though... figure out what programming languages you will be learning in the CS part of your curriculum and learn those.

If we're talking about stuff like Multisim etc. I have access to them via the software store for about free.
But yeah they are special indeed, I already took my intro class for C++ and I need about every language out there...

I used multisim I think for my circuits labs, simple software for what we used it for, just layout your schematic and set up your simulation settings and then look at the graph.

Also, for your CE classes, you won't be using just one program, you might use 3 or 4 just for one lab. One program to draw schematics, one to write HDL, one to do transistor layouts, one to simulate, one to view waveforms, etc. integrating all of those on your own computer would be a nightmare.

I wouldn't bother with getting accustomed to these programs, your labs will teach you how to use them. Knowing the reasons for why you do certain things is more important at this point.

Yeah I think we used some other stuff they had me use my Oscilloscope for a lab but that was about it.
What should I expect from the microprocessor classes?

Thanks again for all the info :D

As far as circuits/electronics goes, plan to use the oscilloscope, function generator, dc power supply, and multimeter all at the same time... wiring gets messy.

for microprocessor, I am assuming you are referring to VLSI.
it's fun but can take a long time...

for us, first you need to make a transistor level schematic of your circuit, then you do the physical layout of the transistors. the physical layout takes a long time to do, you need to follow design rules and then run checks against your transistor schematic to make sure you actually designed it properly.

Alright so kinda like my basic electrical engineering class but with more toys and on a larger scale.
Feels bad that I can't get much of a headstart besides learning some code, but I guess that's why I pay for the classes xD

I thought Linux Mint was pretty nice, I only did the LXDE version on a live CD, but I liked it.

Setting up a dual boot with Wubi is probably easier than running it in a VM. If you decide you don't want it, just remove it like any other software package via "Uninstall a program" or "Add/Remove Programs".

Setting up a dual boot with Wubi is probably easier than running it in a VM. If you decide you don't want it, just remove it like any other software package via "Uninstall a program" or "Add/Remove Programs".

I disagree. Just install VirtualBox or VMWare Player and set up a new VM. All the virtual hardware will work out-of-the-box with a current distro like Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) or Fedora 17 (Beta). If you go with VMWare Player, the Easy Installer will even install and configure the VM and Linux for you without you having to do anything. If you decide you don't want it anymore, just delete the file from your HD containing the VM. Wubi still requires you to edit the bootloader and only lets you run one OS at a time, which can make it tough to experiment or look up help if something gets broken.

Wubi still requires you to edit the bootloader and only lets you run one OS at a time, which can make it tough to experiment or look up help if something gets broken.
Wubi changes the bootloader when it's installed or removed. No manual editing is necessary. And whether or not you need to run 2 OSs at once is a separate consideration.

Back