Want to shove my foot up Linux' -- Errno 28: no space left on device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Errno 28: no space left on device

and stops there during the boot process. I don't know what Linux it is running, but it is older. It's boot menu is one of those red ones. Return = reboot, arrow keys to navigate, enter to execute.

I've tried two different IDE CD-ROM drives, both IDE ports, all three of slave/master/neither pins, both slave/master ports on the IDE ribbon.. and a simple PCI card with a couple SATA ports and an IDE port... in the slot before AND after the SCSI RAID card

And it still won't pickup the CD-ROM drives. In BIOS, "CD-ROM" is the first boot device, "USB-CDROM" the second, and "HDD-0" the third (I don't think HDD-0 means anything useful). This is a Socket A motherboard. This does not have an F12/F10/ESC boot menu to select a device to boot from. I now wasted $7 on a pack of CD-R's and can't boot the old Linux server that runs AD and hosts the shared network drives because I shut the machine down with 100% used diskspace.

And since it's a RAID, there's nothing I can do about it. :mad: I don't have any flash drives, and I doubt it would event boot off a flash drive as old as it is.

I feel like cursing, screaming, and crying. Just want to go home. There was just a few simple things to do.. and it would be simple, but nooo... something just ALWAYS has to pin me down. I hate IT, I hate computers, I hate technology.

At LiLO boot menu where the text "boot: <whatever was selected in menu here>", I could edit that simply by typing and using backspace. Not sure what RET means (it is what equals Reboot).

I did boot: <whatever was selected> single, let it get to the part where I either type in a password or do CTRL+D, logged in as root by typing password, did cd /, did du -h | less, went down to /var/logs/, and then cleared out a bunch of stuff under /var/logs/ using a combination of rm -rf * and rm -rf *.log (*.0 and *.1 too), and removed some old stuff that we didn't need any more. Grand finale: sudo shutdown -r now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back