Want to Run 4k Suggestions On GPU?

HubDoubleDub

Weaksauce
Last edited:
If you can, I'd wait for a month. Rumors state that 800 series is behind the corner and will be released in September, so you will risk nothing waiting for a month. They either drive the prices of 6GB 780 down, or you will see if it's worth bothering with 256bit bus...

If all fails, you won't go wrong with 290x :)

i'm running 4k with crossfired 290x and sli'd gtx 780 6gb. i had twin gtx 780 tis before switching to the 6gb cards. i'd suggest the 290x for two reasons: one, for single card 4k performance the cheaper 290x is practically the same as gtx 780 6gb or gtx 780 ti; two, in a two card solution the 290x array begins to pull away from current nvidia products. the new 8 series nvidia is maybe 3 months out so if you're buying now, buy amd.

AMD seems to be the best bet. I just want to be able to push 60fps on that monitor. I might just wait for 800 see some reviews/testing on those.

If you can, I'd wait for a month. Rumors state that 800 series is behind the corner and will be released in September, so you will risk nothing waiting for a month. They either drive the prices of 6GB 780 down, or you will see if it's worth bothering with 256bit bus...

If all fails, you won't go wrong with 290x :)
How many 290x would I need? I want to utilize that monitor's 60 hz?

At a minimum, you'd better be SLI/Crossfiring top-tier cards and you'd better have at least 4GB VRAM (each). For ultrahigh res I generally recommend AMD, and this generation hasn't changed things much in that regard. The 290x is a hot card, so make sure that:

1. You either use reference blower-type cards, or have a huge EATX motherboard with enough space between PCI-E slots to give aftermarket coolers breathing room. Do not Crossfire two aftermarket cards with non-blower coolers on a standard mobo, you will regret it.

2. You have plenty of case airflow.

If you don't hit all of these requirements you are going to deeply regret going 4k. If you have to crank down all the settings to get adequate FPS you could easily end up with worse image quality than a 24" 1080p.

It's more expensive, but after seeing it in action I would heartily recommend going straight to a R9 295x2 for 4K. It goes so well with a good 4K 60hz monitor setup.

Sweet, sweet card. Add another R290x if you feel you really need to, but honestly it works great on its own.

You need dual GPUs and at least 4GB of vram. At this point, single card solutions are not good enough. BF4 will not run at a steady 60FPS @ 4k Ultra even after OCing the GPUs and CPUs under water, and this is with two cards instead of a dual gpu solution (which will be slower).

I'd probably wait for the GTX 880 at this point. I don't recommend crossfired 290x, the drivers to these day are still unstable, and they have not fixed the stuttering issues with Eyefinity + Crossfire enabled.

I'd probably wait for the GTX 880 at this point. I don't recommend crossfired 290x, the drivers to these day are still unstable, and they have not fixed the stuttering issues with Eyefinity + Crossfire enabled.

I haven't had any issues with stability on my crossfire setup since the 14 Cat series came out, running 1440p@120hz but no Eyefinity here. Have you been using Afterburner by chance? I was getting random red screen lock ups and what not when running AB even without overclocking my cards. Since removing AB it's been smooth sailing for me. Not sure if it was related to my refresh rate or not, but it might be worth a shot in case this applies to you.

I don't really like any of the other OC programs available either so I just flashed a BIOS with higher clocks and am using HWInfo64 for monitoring. After doing that it's as trouble free as I've ever experienced with any other multi-GPU setups with Nvidia.

With all that in mind I think a 290x CFX setup for 4k on a single monitor would be a solid choice.

I recently switched from an SLI/Titan setup to a CrossfireX R9/295x2 and R9/290x. I use the 290x as my main card on my Dell 32' 4K monitor. And the 295 just acts as the second card. Great setup, constant 60fps in BF4 on ultra settings and 2x MSAA.

I want to make the change to 4k, but I'm not sure on what graphics card to switch to. I heard AMD runs 4k the best, but I also heard that the 800 series is around the corner. Help I cannot make up my mind.

Monitor I was looking at....
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...nYOUfF62buYAtbhoCn_7w_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Any thoughts, advice, personal experiences with 4k would be very much appreciated...:)

I am also jumping to 4K myself. I got these XFX 290X DDs for my 4K upgrade. Still no issues with my current 2560x1600 setup. I'll also be jumping to the X99 chipset this September. Also just a friendly reminder, Nvidia 880 will be released in September. I don't know when the AMD "R390X" will be out. It could be worth it to wait and see in a few months to see who the new 4K king will be.

I recently switched from an SLI/Titan setup to a CrossfireX R9/295x2 and R9/290x. I use the 290x as my main card on my Dell 32' 4K monitor. And the 295 just acts as the second card. Great setup, constant 60fps in BF4 on ultra settings and 2x MSAA.

this to the power of ten. two 290x's are not enough for maximum quality settings plus aa @ 60fps.

consider that 4k is more demanding than a 1920x1080 triple screen setup, and you come to realize that as thin gs stand, you'll need at the very least, a top level single card, minimum.

this to the power of ten. two 290x's are not enough for maximum quality settings plus aa @ 60fps.

Okay, even at 1440p high levels of AA aren't necessary. Anything above 4x in even the most jagged of games provides such a miniscule benefit that you'd never even notice the difference while playing. I'd bet the farm that at 4k max levels of AA become much, much less important than at lower res.

A quick google search turned up this from Extremetech which shows just how effective 2xAA is at 4k in Skyrim, but even no AA looks pretty damn nice IMO albeit not *absolutely* free of jaggies.

But hey, if you want to crank the AA while still keeping around 60fps then trifire is currently the way to do it! :D

Okay, even at 1440p high levels of AA aren't necessary. Anything above 4x in even the most jagged of games provides such a miniscule benefit that you'd never even notice the difference while playing. I'd bet the farm that at 4k max levels of AA become much, much less important than at lower res.

A quick google search turned up this from Extremetech which shows just how effective 2xAA is at 4k in Skyrim, but even no AA looks pretty damn nice IMO albeit not *absolutely* free of jaggies.

But hey, if you want to crank the AA while still keeping around 60fps then trifire is currently the way to do it! :D

right now i'm perfectly happy with dual cards for my 4k monitor and i gladly sacrifice aa to max out other quality settings, but its simply a statement of fact that if you want to move the aa slider much in a game like crysis 3 and maintain frame rates consistently close to 60, you're going to need a third gpu.

right now i'm perfectly happy with dual cards for my 4k monitor and i gladly sacrifice aa to max out other quality settings, but its simply a statement of fact that if you want to move the aa slider much in a game like crysis 3 and maintain frame rates consistently close to 60, you're going to need a third gpu.

That's true, but Crysis 3 is exceptional in that it's taxing even at lower resolutions which is not the case with plenty of other AAA games released in the last couple years besides the stutter fest that is Watch Dogs. At least Crysis 3 provides some damn fine visuals throughout to go with that performance hit. ;)

Jeebus but there's a lot of rubbish in this thread. I have one of those Samsung monitors and am using a single 3 GB 780 Ti. Yes, I can't crank all the settings to maximum in Tomb Raider, but I'm getting very nice results. The visual quality is good enough. And I can max out older games like Borderlands 2.

Yes, if you want ultra quality, you're going to want two or three GPUs and gobs of VRAM. If you look at Baasha's threads, you'll see that 6 GB is not enough VRAM for 3x 4K. But a single card for a single monitor is good enough.

With regards to the monitor, the Samsung 4K has the best panel of that bunch simply because Samsung produce the panels and thus can cherry-pick. Do note, however, that it does not have a VESA mount. Nor can it rotate. Neither of these are issues for me but might be for you.

That said, I am going to recommend you wait. Not one of today's high-end single-GPU cards has more than a single Displayport connector, and you will need more than one if you want to run more than one 4K display. And the additional VRAM new cards will have will help.

But if you don't want to wait, go for it!

I haven't had any issues with stability on my crossfire setup since the 14 Cat series came out, running 1440p@120hz but no Eyefinity here. Have you been using Afterburner by chance? I was getting random red screen lock ups and what not when running AB even without overclocking my cards. Since removing AB it's been smooth sailing for me. Not sure if it was related to my refresh rate or not, but it might be worth a shot in case this applies to you.

I don't really like any of the other OC programs available either so I just flashed a BIOS with higher clocks and am using HWInfo64 for monitoring. After doing that it's as trouble free as I've ever experienced with any other multi-GPU setups with Nvidia.

With all that in mind I think a 290x CFX setup for 4k on a single monitor would be a solid choice.

I uninstalled AB and it helped, but has not solved all my issues. Outside of the instability issues, the most aggravating part is the times the screen gets messed up, like part of the screen shuts off, or it becomes "fuzzy" like an old CRT and I need to reboot. I've also had in more than one occasion the screen go to sleep and never wake up either when the PC goes to sleep or right after booting up. The only fix for that is to switch from MST to SST and back, which is a PIA on this monitor because the buttons are on the side.

The last issue so far only happened under the 14.7 RCs, but like I said, I've had none of these issues on my GTX 780s in SLI (the betas were buggy, but later releases fix these problems). Only reason I switched was due to 4GB of ram and the extra bit of performance. Performance is negligible when games are a stuttery mess. I don't know if it's because of 4k + Eyefinity (due to MST) + Crossfire, but their drivers still suck.

OP, on your 4k monitor you probably won't run into any of the weird screen issues because it doesn't expose MST to the driver like my monitor. However I still say you should wait for the GTX 880. If you are going to be shelling out money for a 4k gaming setup, you might as well see what the new cards have to offer before making a decision.

OP, on your 4k monitor you probably won't run into any of the weird screen issues because it doesn't expose MST to the driver like my monitor.

He won't get weird screen issues because the Samsung is SST rather than MST

I run 2 290X's on my sammy and it works pretty damn great! Crysis 3 looks amazing and runs well. Dont need very much AA at 28" and 4K. 60Hz SST over DP, only 30Hz over HDMI, so make sure you are using the right connection.

Jeebus but there's a lot of rubbish in this thread. I have one of those Samsung monitors and am using a single 3 GB 780 Ti. Yes, I can't crank all the settings to maximum in Tomb Raider, but I'm getting very nice results. The visual quality is good enough. And I can max out older games like Borderlands 2.

Yes, if you want ultra quality, you're going to want two or three GPUs and gobs of VRAM. If you look at Baasha's threads, you'll see that 6 GB is not enough VRAM for 3x 4K. But a single card for a single monitor is good enough.

With regards to the monitor, the Samsung 4K has the best panel of that bunch simply because Samsung produce the panels and thus can cherry-pick. Do note, however, that it does not have a VESA mount. Nor can it rotate. Neither of these are issues for me but might be for you.

That said, I am going to recommend you wait. Not one of today's high-end single-GPU cards has more than a single Displayport connector, and you will need more than one if you want to run more than one 4K display. And the additional VRAM new cards will have will help.

But if you don't want to wait, go for it!

I'm sorry if you think there is rubbish in this post. However, I do not like the jagged lines and I also don't like playing on "Medium/High" setting. I want EVERYTHING to be at the maximum settings in game. And god dammit, if I have to pay $2000 for a set of graphics cards to accomplish this, then I will.

If you want to settle for second best, be my guest. I always like to come in for "First Place" if I am able to.

I'm sorry if you think there is rubbish in this post. However, I do not like the jagged lines and I also don't like playing on "Medium/High" setting. I want EVERYTHING to be at the maximum settings in game. And god dammit, if I have to pay $2000 for a set of graphics cards to accomplish this, then I will.

If you want to settle for second best, be my guest. I always like to come in for "First Place" if I am able to.

I completely agree with this. If you are going the 4k route, you should not be "settling" for medium gfx. IMO it defeats the whole purpose of it.

He won't get weird screen issues because the Samsung is SST rather than MST

I guess that's true. I was not sure if the TN panels were two-screens with MST being done internally, or just a single screen.

I completely agree with this. If you are going the 4k route, you should not be "settling" for medium gfx. IMO it defeats the whole purpose of it.

I'm getting high but not ultra settings in Tomb Raider with TressFX off. And BL2 and Starcraft 2 run with max settings.

The point is, you can go 4K now on a single GPU now and not be disappointed, then add a second GPU or upgrade the GPU and get the ultra settings.

The point is, you can go 4K now on a single GPU now and not be disappointed, then add a second GPU or upgrade the GPU and get the ultra settings.

if you're acknowledging the need for more than one card for ultra settings, then where pray tell is the "rubbish."

It's possible if you have the money, just the fact that's it's douable is amazing imho, current gen console struggle for 1080p 30fps (and when they are 60fps they drop features). I would have expect current games to be unplayable in sli, but they are not..

It's possible if you have the money, just the fact that's it's douable is amazing imho, current gen console struggle for 1080p 30fps (and when they are 60fps they drop features). I would have expect current games to be unplayable in sli, but they are not..

My PS4 pulls 60fps with no issues. By far the best console system I have ever purchased.

You can't even reliably hit 60fps at 4K with two cards with current gen games, in reality you need 3 or 4 flagship cards. Realistically it'll probably take a pair of heavily overclocked 600mm² GTX Titan IIs just to hit 60 fps at 4K with current gen titles like BF4 or Crysis 3 with no AA or AF on high, and that card isn't expected until at least 1H/2H 2015.

We probably won't see any single card be able to handle 4K even non-maxed reliably until 2018+.

However if you don't play any demanding games and all you play is low graphics kickstarter games, platformers, and civilization, then you can handle 4K even now.

You can't even reliably hit 60fps at 4K with two cards with current gen games, in reality you need 3 or 4 flagship cards. Realistically it'll probably take a pair of heavily overclocked 600mm² GTX Titan IIs just to hit 60 fps at 4K with current gen titles like BF4 or Crysis 3 with no AA or AF on high, and that card isn't expected until at least 1H/2H 2015.

We probably won't see any single card be able to handle 4K even non-maxed reliably until 2018+.

However if you don't play any demanding games and all you play is low graphics kickstarter games, platformers, and civilization, then you can handle 4K even now.

I disagree. Even with a single R9-290 clocked at 1200/1600 I can handle 4k just fine. Might not be 60 fps always but that would be easy with a second card. Just look at the [H] review between the Asus 780 6gb SLI vs the R9-290x Crossfire. 2 cards are plenty for 4k gaming. Also you don't really need AA at 4k resolutions. The pixel size at this resolution is tiny so jaggies are not really a problem.

The new 20nm graphics cards coming to the market in 2015 will be plenty fast for 4k gaming on their own. Multiple cards will only be needed for eye infinity or nvida surround.

I am biased since I have surround 1600p which is more intensive than 4k (4 30" monitors).

However, I find the Titans to really help when it comes to surround / Ultra High resolutions. If you are only going to run one 4k monitor go that or a 780 ti 6GB card, you can also get good deals on titans via ebay.

Otherwise 290x2 (if budget is an issue go for one), or wait for the 800 series since it will bring a slight price drop.

People are talking about 4k resolutions but what i would like to really know is when will amd or nvidia support 4k hardware acceleration for movies/youtube. I heard nvidia might but not sure about amd. Anyone know any answers.

I am biased since I have surround 1600p which is more intensive than 4k (4 30" monitors).

However, I find the Titans to really help when it comes to surround / Ultra High resolutions. If you are only going to run one 4k monitor go that or a 780 ti 6GB card, you can also get good deals on titans via ebay.

Otherwise 290x2 (if budget is an issue go for one), or wait for the 800 series since it will bring a slight price drop.

I think you mean 780 (non ti) 6gig, as there is no 780 ti 6gig. In which case a single 290 will keep pace at that res. Crossfire 290's is probably the minimum best current choice though as a single card just doesn't quite cut it.

I think you mean 780 (non ti) 6gig, as there is no 780 ti 6gig. In which case a single 290 will keep pace at that res. Crossfire 290's is probably the minimum best current choice though as a single card just doesn't quite cut it.

You don't need two cards to run 4k resolution. You need 2 cards or more to run at 4k resolution with max details

A single R9-290/X or 780/TI can both have playable settings at 4k and get good frame rates. Instead of Ultra your running on high or medium settings.

I would wait or go SLI.

Its finicky in Surround (4800 x 2560) with Two/three titans I am fine, the only game that gives me a slow down is Titanfall and thats due to a LACK of SLI optimization.

I also know you already bought your monitor, few questions.

1. Why 4k @ 28"? I know the price is great, but I feel if I were to go 4k it would have to be >30"
2. Did you consider the Asus 27" Gsync, for the price you could get three of those and put them into surround.
3. not thread capping just curious as I have 4 30" 1600p monitors and LOVE it.

Back