Want to Repaste/Pad my HP OEM 2060 Super, can't find instructions or photos/videos on disassembly

I recently got an HP OEM version of a 2060 Super card, it looks like this:

GPU-Z reports this about it:

And it links to this page (although I am not sure if it's accurate):

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/hp-rtx-2060-super-oem.b10625

This card is meant for an older backup system I am using, but before installing it I tested this card thoroughly in a newer system I have, a 11700K based system in a rather high-cooled Cooler Master HAFX case and it seemed to perform exactly as expected other than just barely failing to meet the 97% mark on 3DMark's Stress Tests (but those are just for framerate stability, this is a low-power OEM card after all). Temps at max were 80C on some tests, many times they were 70C.

So after all the tests and having zero issues, I installed the card in the system I got it for, a Dell Precision T3610 with a Xeon E5-2667 v2. I noticed that the temperatures however were significantly worse. It rarely went under 80C when gaming and many times would hit 85C during testing and more demanding games, which I believe is supposed to be the throttle limit for this card... and this is with the side panel off as I was checking to make sure the power adapters I used weren't failing while the card was in use. The case on this Dell is a lot smaller and has less fans so I guess that is not surprising, and it's proprietary so I can't just add more fans or replace the current ones with Noctua's.

Also been having some random problems with the system now, going to have to look into each issue separately, but one of them is I want to make sure it's not due to the card overheating. I have some Noctua NT-H2 left over I can re-paste it with, but I have no idea what size pads it has and how many it uses. I can't find any photos, videos, or instructions on how to disassemble the card or what the specs of the different pads it uses are. I don't even know where and what brand of replacement pads would be good ones to even get (Don't want to end up with just some random junk someone ordered form Aliexpress and then sold at a higher price on Amazon/Ebay that will perform even worse than the existing old pads).

So would anyone know where I can try to find information or even some photos and videos of how to take apart this card and exactly the specs of the replacement pads I would need? And/or what would be good replacement pads to get?

Remove the screws from the back of the board and the heatsink should come off - you may have to pull gently if the thermal grease is old.

1.0mm thickness is the normal size for thermal pads on this sort of thing, but you'd need to take it apart and measure. Pretty much any pad material should work. I've got some Arctic branded stuff I bought from Amazon that I use when I replace them, and that stuff works fine. I use way more of the 1.0mm than I do any of the others.

I use more of this than any of the others, and even one sheet of it is enough to service several high end cards. You'll need to actually check to see what thickness your card uses, though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYTTXSM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Before you go through the process expecting big reductions in temps, did you have a fan blowing the hot air away with the side panel removed? The hot air around the card needs to be removed or the card gets hot air and heat soaks quicker. Even open air mining rigs use fans to blow hot air away from the cards.

Your other case appears to handle the hot air well with that card. So, the Dell may need some better airflow to support the 2060. Proprietary dell fan connector and housing?

Repasting can't hurt and may help a little. Better pads will help. But the hot air still needs to get out of the vicinity of the card.

Before you go through the process expecting big reductions in temps, did you have a fan blowing the hot air away with the side panel removed?

No, are you saying it would cool better with the side panel on even though there are no fans or vents on the side panel?

Your other case appears to handle the hot air well with that card.

Yeah, it has a massive 200mm fan right on the side, I miss when cases had side-fans, they cool cards absurdly well. My RAID card in that same system overheats it's backup battery without that side fan.

It also occurred to me, the 11700K system is currently lying on it's side, which would have made the card vertical. But my Dell is positioned normally, making the card horizontal. Can that make any difference?

Repasting can't hurt and may help a little. Better pads will help. But the hot air still needs to get out of the vicinity of the card.

Yeah I know, I am not expecting miracles. But if I can make it at least not hit it's max temp of 85C even if it's coming close that would be a big help, right now it seems to just barely be always hitting it when hit with a heavy load in the Dell system. Unfortunately, even the fans on the front are proprietary so there isn't much I can do about improving airflow in this case. It only has fans in the front, not even a rear fan (nor does the motherboard have any additional ports for any more fans than what it comes with stock).

No, are you saying it would cool better with the side panel on even though there are no fans or vents on the side panel?

Yeah, it has a massive 200mm fan right on the side, I miss when cases had side-fans, they cool cards absurdly well. My RAID card in that same system overheats it's backup battery without that side fan.

It also occurred to me, the 11700K system is currently lying on it's side, which would have made the card vertical. But my Dell is positioned normally, making the card horizontal. Can that make any difference?

Yeah I know, I am not expecting miracles. But if I can make it at least not hit it's max temp of 85C even if it's coming close that would be a big help, right now it seems to just barely be always hitting it when hit with a heavy load in the Dell system. Unfortunately, even the fans on the front are proprietary so there isn't much I can do about improving airflow in this case. It only has fans in the front, not even a rear fan (nor does the motherboard have any additional ports for any more fans than what it comes with stock).
You know - It's all about airflow. If you put a fan on the card in the Dell with the side panel off and the temps get to a comfortable range you're on the right path. You might be able to push a little more air in the dell with different fans and/or fan header adapters. Maybe leave the case open and put a small desk fan blowing into it? Changing the pads/paste will help get the heat off the card more efficiently but if the hot air just sits around the card in an enclosed case it's going to overwhelm the cooling capacity. Maybe use one of those fans the attach to the back bracket and work like a blower fan to get the hot air out.

I prefer blower cards in these OEM systems due to the poor airflow. Not always an option tho, I know.

Yeah I know, I have no idea if the airflow is designed with the side cover closed in mind. Looking throughout the case, there is certainly ROOM for fans... but no headers on the motherboard or mounting holes for them. The only fans are some propitery-sized "stick" of three mini-fans in the front and one that is sandwiched between two heatsinks of the CPU cooler.

There is some empty space above and (now that I removed the SAS card as I no longer need it) below the GPU:

But there is no mounting places for a fan there, and that case intrusion switch above the GPU would get in the way..... I suppose I could always remove that since I have silenced the alarm anyway and it's not like I care if the case is opened since I would be the only one doing it. But without headers I would only be able to power them off of SATA, meaning they would have no PMW control and only spin at a set speed. I am also not sure if it would be a good idea to have a fan below the GPU as intake, sure it will bring in air towards the GPU fan... but from the back of the case... and that might fight with the intake fans from the front depending on how the airflow in my case works.

Are the front fans blowing correctly? Or are they stuck at a super low/quiet setting?

Fan below the gpu would be exhaust. Looks like there is space for one or two.

Also, zip ties and the right rpm fan in a 92 or 80 mm size on a sata could work in the upper rear space. Right rpm could be 1200 or so, based on noise tolerance. Or use a manual controller.

Blow more cool air in and get the hot air out.

1677529722788.png

1677529936702.png

1677529785865.png

There's no molex on this system so I can't use any of those that rely on a molex connector for power.

I mean, it wouldn't hurt to put a fan in the rear fan mount. I think it would help airflow just to keep the blowing hot air out of the case. Not sure of the size there...probably a 92mm or 120mm. Can get one with a molex connector to just direct connect into the PSU without a fan header. Just look for one that's lower RPM so it isn't super loud.

I mean, it wouldn't hurt to put a fan in the rear fan mount.

That's the thing, it's not a rear fan MOUNT, it's just a rear grill. There are no holes to mount a fan. Nor are there any spare fan headers on the motherboard.

Can get one with a molex connector to just direct connect into the PSU without a fan header.

There's no molex connectors in this thing either.

That's the thing, it's not a rear fan MOUNT, it's just a rear grill. There are no holes to mount a fan. Nor are there any spare fan headers on the motherboard.

There's no molex connectors in this thing either.

It looks like a mounting hole in the one corner, but it's probably for the fan shroud over the CPU or something. Either way, I'm sure you could zip tie something in there if you wanted.

Are there any additional power connectors to use? I'm sure they make a fan adapter for something that's available...even a SATA power connector.

It looks like a mounting hole in the one corner, but it's probably for the fan shroud over the CPU or something. Either way, I'm sure you could zip tie something in there if you wanted.

Yeah, I am sure I can jury-rig something up, especially if I remove that case intrusion switch. Not sure how much just adding a single small rear exhaust fan will help though.

I was considering something below the GPU too, but that might hurt more than help. And a side-fan which could help a lot would require drilling into the side-panel.

even a SATA power connector.

There is a spare SATA connector I can use, although if possible I would like to be able to control the fans. The issue with using a fan splitter or hub is that even the %$^@#%^@#$ fan connectors are proprietary. There are adapters to use standard fans... but then I can't connect the existing front fans to that, which are a proprietary SIZE. The front has three fans... all of which for some reason have their own header. I would love to be able to combine two of them and then use an unused header for the rear fan, but I can't think of any way to do that.

You can split the sata with a Y and then adapt the sata into molex or a 3 pin connector. All you do is put a washer behind the screw for a fan and orientate the fan where 4 grill holes match up with the fan mount holes. I’ve done a Dell or 2. Also the intrusion sensor will not trip a warning. I never kept them….. there are also Dell fan adapters should you want to replace any with aftermarket

ou can split the sata with a Y and then adapt the sata into molex or a 3 pin connector

Yeah, I know I can easily get power to a fan from the currently unused (for now) extra SATA connector I have, the issue with that is it will jus run at max speed.... or with some kind of potentiometer just at one set speed.

I’ve done a Dell or 2.

The consumer or the enterprise models though? This is a xeon-based workstation.

Also the intrusion sensor will not trip a warning.

Yeah, I disabled that as one of the first changes I made when I got it. Have absolutely no use for it.

there are also Dell fan adapters should you want to replace any with aftermarket

The problem with that is that the system only has three fans, all three of them are in the front in a metal cage, and AFAIK they are a non-standard size. I can't really replace the existing fans with standard aftermarket ones.

I’ve done both Optiplex and precision T3500s. Depending on what you have, you may be able to re case your computer. Gen 2 to 4th gen is generally possible.

Ok, so I finally took the card apart. Going to re-paste and re-pad it, but now I am wondering if I should replace the fan too if that's feasable/affordable.

I took it apart and saw this:

Is that paste application normal? I know that you ruin the paste once you take the heatsink off and it can be hard to tell how it was applied, but to me that looks very dry and overly thin, it was also far dustier than I expected on the inside even though I tried to clean it, going to have to clean it even further.

Another thing is that I would near noises from the card. I wasn't sure if it was just coil whine, but I heard more than one noise and one was definitely coil whine when I was running tests that were hitting 1000FPS, so I assume the other might be fan noise.

Is it at all feasible or normal for people to replace the fans on their cards too? Here are pictures of the fan:

Yeah, the model number is clearly listed on the fan, but all that gives me is results of the same exact fan, or a set of fans intended for cards that had 3 fans in them. I have no idea if I need to get that exact same model, or if it's a specific type of fan and I have other options. And if I do, if there are any good ones one can recommend. Or is it pointless to try to replace the fan?

(Still need to find where my calipers are too to measure the thickness of those pads I want to replace)

It'll be fine. Clean the die and heatsink, put fresh TIM on it and send it. If the fan works now, don't worry about replacing it. You can always replace it later if it fails.

But yes, you can replace it. Punch that part number into Ebay, and you'll probably find one.

If you can keep the thermal pads I would. You can measure the thickness but the replacements you get may be harder than the originals and that can make the heatsink contact with the core worse.

But yes, you can replace it. Punch that part number into Ebay, and you'll probably find one.

I was wondering if it was a thing where 3rd parties make replacement fans, but seems like it's not. I will just keep the fan then if I can't replace it with a better one.

If you can keep the thermal pads I would. You can measure the thickness but the replacements you get may be harder than the originals and that can make the heatsink contact with the core worse.

I was able to measure them, they are 2mm thick.

I was wondering if it was a thing where 3rd parties make replacement fans, but seems like it's not. I will just keep the fan then if I can't replace it with a better one.

You could probably replace the whole heatsink with an aftermarket one, like an Arctic Accelero. It makes case fitment even harder, but it'd be a hell of an upgrade over that puny stock one.

https://www.arctic.de/us/Accelero-Xtreme-IV/DCACO-V800001-GBA01

I'd try to reuse the original thermal pads if you can. The stock ones are usually pretty good, assuming they're not all torn up.

Back