Want to know the best 20-21" Gaming Monitor..

pseudo22

Weaksauce
If I had to choose between the 20WMGX2 and the 215TW would I notice a difference (esp. in color reproduction, sharpness and how deep blacks are?)

It's my first LCD and id like it to b my last for a long while
smile.gif
Is the 20WMGX2 as good as they say because i haven't seen either in person yet. (none of my local stores have them on display)
icon9.gif

yes I've got the Nec 20WGX2 and it is brilliant, no the best. Once you go glossy you dont go back. :cool: :D

Glossy eh? But how can a gloss coat or glass make contrast better? and if i'm not mistaken, the monitor does come with a UHF coaxial jack for tv? and comparing this to the 215TW, is it *that* much of a difference that *anyone* could notice?

pseudo22 said:
Glossy eh? But how can a gloss coat or glass make contrast better? and if i'm not mistaken, the monitor does come with a UHF coaxial jack for tv? and comparing this to the 215TW, is it *that* much of a difference that *anyone* could notice?
A glossy coating doesn't physically do anything to the contrast...it simply doesn't diffuse light coming from the panel like anti-glare coatings which results in brighter, more saturated colors. It's an acquired taste but I prefer glossy..

I've looked all over for a 20" gaming LCD and the only one I haven't read a ton of bad things about is the 20WMGX2. Anyone know what the input lag on it is or how bad it tears @ 300 fps?

Love my Gateway 21inch 2185.... extremely SLIGHT banding in pitch black conditions, no ghosting... The colors just pop on this monitor and the panel coating is perfect, not glossy but not overly glare protective.

I'd have to agree with rotten_necro.. but the only thing you do notice and have is that your game in any worse case scenario will never go under 200fps. :D On a serious note; No. you will not see the difference between 300 and 60.. afaik. But the black level on this monitor (lol)... I mean, I used to have a Magnavox 15" (13" viewable) first monitor ever, w/ Win 95... blacks used to be ok with that :p Then it stuck with me... and darkened.. and darkened.. till i increased brightness and i wish the dial kept moving. (So for those of who were on the ghetto end of the tech struggle)

I resulted to nVIDIA Gamma.

Continuingly had to reset it back and forth between some games (like the quake engine games or even UT :)P) either way, I finally got a 19" Samsung 950b CRT .

Long story long, it was an amazing improvement, but eventually overtime i'd play doom 3 and b like "what the deuce? my blacks aren't black!"

It's like first gen "LCD-black" which is a dark grey.. :(

I hope this monitor exceeds my seemingly unsurpassable expectations
(I'm wondering if it has blacks comparable to the black Samsung 26" that's being used for all the Xbox 360 demos which have amazingly deep blacks n perfect color)

(I know this is semi-relevant, but i'm just wondering if you (the people of [H]) think it is a smart move to get a 8800GTX but only a 20" in lieu of a 24" @ 1920x1200 because of future titles like UT2007, Crysis and Alan Wake. So I can at least stay at native res for a few years. (As I unfortunately don't have enough ducats to spend on my computer.) :(

Well.. that's enough of my ranting! :D

I've got a 215tw that I'm very happy with.
Perfect viewing angels, very bright, nice contrast ratio, very little backlight bleed in the corners.
Not to mention all of it's inputs and how damn adjustable it is.

Rotten_Necro said:
No tearing from what I can see. It's an 8ms monitor so imo not bad at all. Definetly an awesome monitor.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/gregtherotter/newmonitor.jpg

:rolleyes: 300fps??? What are you running at 300fps?????? A monitors refresh rate is 60hz so you wont see the difference between 60 and 300 fps tbh. Correct me if im wrong here.

You're wrong. Depends more so on the game but since I play cod2 and it's built on the quake 3 engine, you can tell between 60, 125, and 333 fps easy. 125 and 333 are the same as far as jumping in game goes but turning at 333 feels smoother.

I am perfectly happy with my Dell 2007WFP! I mainly play CS:S with a little bit of LFS and BF2 on the side. I have not noticed any ghosting in any of the games I have ever played with this monitor. The brightness is leaps and bounds better then my old Phillips CRT. You should be able to get them for under $400 easy now with the addition of coupons.

z3r0- said:
You're wrong. Depends more so on the game but since I play cod2 and it's built on the quake 3 engine, you can tell between 60, 125, and 333 fps easy. 125 and 333 are the same as far as jumping in game goes but turning at 333 feels smoother.

Whatever. I dont see any difference. I;d rather be steady at 60 than have my fps jumping all over the show from 333 to 100 or whatever.

Is it just me or did everyone have an old Phillips/Magnavox CRT to start out with :D

joemama said:
A glossy coating doesn't physically do anything to the contrast...it simply doesn't diffuse light coming from the panel like anti-glare coatings which results in brighter, more saturated colors. It's an acquired taste but I prefer glossy..

IIRC, a glossy coating is actually a polarized glass or something like that, which does somewhat enhance the picture quality. Glossy does look better, but I still need the anti-glare.

Back