Want to get started with Linux

L1ght

Gawd
Now that there is driver support for my x1900xtx, I want to install linux. I am not sure where to start.

I am going to buy a second harddrive, and put linux on that. The first thing is to decide what linux distro to use. Fedora Core 5 looks interesting, I have messed with Ubuntu live CD before, is there something better?

Getting it installed is going to be a trick. My ubuntu live CD didnt work with my x1900xtx, will the install cd work? Or will I have to add or compile the driver myself?

I am very open to reading guides or any other articles, just not sure where to start looking.

So I am basically looking for help to get started in the right direction. Any help would be great!

Ubuntu, Suse, or Fedora are all good beginner Distros (though I prefer Ubuntu's package management the most)

I've never owned ATI but I hear ATI driver support isn't that great for Linux, so I can't tell you which distro will work out of the box with your card. FC5 being just released may have support for it, as well as Ubuntu DapperDrake (currently beta), and Suse 10.2 (may be beta as well)

Okay, I think I have a idea. Ill plug in a extra HD, and a old pci 5200. Ill just change some bois options to boot into linux/windows.

I am thinking FC 5. Should work, right?

Back