Want to expand LGA2011 to 40GB RAM

Weeth

Gawd
Well, the i7-3770 system I ordered is going to have to go to one of my subcontractors since they just blew up theirs and they're in a real mess, so I just ordered an Alienware Aurora i7-3930K (OC'd from the factory) today. It's coming maxed out with 16GB RAM (strange that it's not offered with more) but I need to up it to at least 32GB. Since I know nothing of the RAM other that it's 1600MHz I'm assuming that they either put in 8x2GB or 4x4GB. So my question is, if I want to put 4x8GB of whatever spec that original RAM is in one bank can I run the either 4x2GB or the 4x4GB in the other bank, or does the LGA2011 mobo and/or CPU want balanced RAM? I've checked around and there doesn't seem to be any more info on that RAM, at least any I can find.

Later Edit: Before I get a barrage of WTF do you need all that RAM for, the answer is massive photoshop and heavy duty video editing. :)

Are you sure the Dell system mainboard even has 8 DIMM slots? I have a hunch it was only has four.

I was under the impression that the LGA2011 motherboard in the latest Auroras had 8 slots, BUT I may be wrong! I can't find an image of it anywhere...

I was under the impression that the LGA2011 motherboard in the latest Auroras had 8 slots, BUT I may be wrong! I can't find an image of it anywhere...

I might be off base... But the standard aurora box is an mATX case, and I have yet to hear of any mATX motherboard having 8DIMM slots.

You might want to just wait until the unit arrives before doing anything just to be sure. I too am pretty sure it's only got 4 DIMM slots since no mATX mobo that I know of has more than that.

Yeah, I can see that now. Two on each side. Oh well, I'll just have to make do with 32GB! Was hoping for more but that's the way it goes! :)

Quick question... If I swap out the mobo for a basic one with 8 slots such as Intel BOXDX79TO, could I use 4x4GB in one bank and 4x8GB in the other if the memory speeds were the same?

Yes, it'll handle different dimm sizes, but I doubt you'll be able to swap the boards. The case only has room for a mATX from the looks of things.

You can never have too much memory. I have bad memories of running out of memory in my youth, and I'm diligent about ensuring that problem never recurs..;)

It's going to go into a totally different case if I swap mobos and it has room for an ATX plus a dually pickup truck in there! :)

Should I make sure that the 4x8GB I'm going to buy are the exact same speed, latency, etc. as the 4x4GB that are on the board now or does that matter too much?

Last edited:
Well, the i7-3770 system I ordered is going to have to go to one of my subcontractors since they just blew up theirs and they're in a real mess, so I just ordered an Alienware Aurora i7-3930K (OC'd from the factory) today. It's coming maxed out with 16GB RAM (strange that it's not offered with more) but I need to up it to at least 32GB. Since I know nothing of the RAM other that it's 1600MHz I'm assuming that they either put in 8x2GB or 4x4GB. So my question is, if I want to put 4x8GB of whatever spec that original RAM is in one bank can I run the either 4x2GB or the 4x4GB in the other bank, or does the LGA2011 mobo and/or CPU want balanced RAM? I've checked around and there doesn't seem to be any more info on that RAM, at least any I can find.

Later Edit: Before I get a barrage of WTF do you need all that RAM for, the answer is massive photoshop and heavy duty video editing. :)

i imagine u have SSD for the OS and your heavy programs adding RAM will not help really

You can never have too much memory. I have bad memories of running out of memory in my youth, and I'm diligent about ensuring that problem never recurs..;)

Yes you can have too much memory. On my Windows XP box i've got 16GB of RAM and that's too much. Just a waste of electricity. So........... err...... yeah...................................

Yes you can have too much memory. On my Windows XP box i've got 16GB of RAM and that's too much. Just a waste of electricity. So........... err...... yeah...................................

Too much for your uses. Might be enough or lacking for other people's uses. ;)

Back