Want to develop for the mac

ChaotycEnygma

Weaksauce
I would like to starting developing applications (mostly for fun/hobby, but eventually for work) for Mac OS X, but im not quite sure what language I should be learning. I have heard great things about Cocoa. Is it the definitive languauge for the mac and if so what books/online resources should i get to start learning it. If my question seems vauge please let me know and I will elaborate.

http://developer.apple.com/cocoa/

is more of a framework for the GUI stuff and other functionality that interacts with OSX.

I'm not an apple dev but I believe these are the languages you can use with cocoa are:

Objective-C
Objective-C++
Carbon C
Java (via bindings)

Now as far as scripting goes the are lots of choices.
AppleScript, JavaScript, Python, Ruby, Perl, Bash (? i'm not sure) etc.. (some have more functionality than others)

A OSX guru might want to chime in.

thank you for the quick reply. so based on what you said i would have to learn both cocoa and objective-c(++) seperately to write a full application?

ChaotycEnygma said:
anyone else?

learn c++ and Objective-C[++]. The two can be integrated into the same application.

Cocoa isn't a programming language, it's a framework to create native guis in OSX.

I am not sure, but I think in order to really interact with it, you have to at the very least learn Objective-C. I am still tinking with X-Code myself (used to linux/windows development). I will say it is probably the easiest time I've had creating a gui application ever.

Back