Want to connect to my home network remotely; VPN needed? Recommend hardware???

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
I have Verizon ADSL (static ip) with a decent upload/download speed. I would like to be able to access my home network remotely (i.e. connect to a shared folder on a media PC or print a document or just access some documents on a server). What do I need exactly?

VPN router? If so, what model do you recommend?

As for the laptop - what software do I need on the laptop? This is for my laptop only, which is running WinXP Pro. Do I just go to NETWORK CONNECTIONS > ADD NEW CONNECTION and just do a VPN-type dialer?

This my 1st time setting it up and would love to learn about it a little more. Also, does Verizon (or any ISP, for that matter) block and/or prohibit accessing my own network remotely? If so, should I call them?

Thanks!

SSL VPN FTW!

For a excellent example, try SSL-Explorer. Free to try for 30 days. Lots of money after that. Unfortunately they just went closed source, and the community is still trying to get a grip on the new fork.

No client need. Just a browser and java.

Simple setup and use....GoToMyPC....or LogMeIn. Logmein has a free version..but I don't believe you have the print features in the freebie. Both are inexpensive and very easy to use, setup. No dealing with tracking the IP address and setting up dynamic dns services....no dealing with firewalls, opening ports on a router, etc. Just...wicked easy.

Alternative free method..setup a dynamic dns account, setup remote desktop, open/forward port 3389 tcp on your router to the desktop host.....assuming your host OS supports it.

wat software is on the server? can setup pptp vpn if its windows xp pro or better. could also use hamachi.

If XP Pro or Vista Why not just use RDP? You can copy/paste in/out through RDP as well as print remotely. Just another option.

Thanks for the info!

I guess I should remember the quote, "Use the right tool for the right job".

Why use all this complex technology for something as simple as Remote Desktop (RDP). I completely forgot about it!!

The server is a bullsh*t server also running WinXP Pro. But, I use it as a storage server with photos, music, software, etc. The most important thing running on it is a server-install of QuickBooks 2008 Premier - Services Edition (that's the one for doctors, lawyers, consultants, etc.). It's a GUI-less install, so that I can actually run QB from any other machine on my network and just store the data on the server. I would like to be able to access QB remotely and then type in an invoice on-the-fly, while I'm at a client's location. That way, I won't forget to bill the client for everything that I did.

RDP will definitely work! But, I'd still like to learn VPN :)

If you're going with RDP make sure to use an encrypted protocol, especially since you're usage is mainly financial transactions.

While everyone is offering various ideas that would work why would you want to use those when he has rdp support built into his machine? This means no extra software on either end needs to be installed. He already said he has a static ip. Besides services like go to my pc or the others like it are nice but slow. In my experience a straight rdp connection(or vnc if the host os is home) is more responsive then one that is proxied through somewhere elce.

To the OP. You can still always setup a vpn connection. If you really want to be secure you can rdp over said vpn connection as well.

I thought Remote Desktop was already encrypted. Isn't it?

It is. AFAIK the only exploit against it...was one demonstrated in a lab environment...utilizing a man in the middle attack which would be darned near impossible to recreate in the real world. Just have a decent username and password..and make sure the Adminstrator account (both local and domain) have a good password..and you're fine.

For the ultra tin hat wearers....you can set the remote desktop client to cease receiving connections for a set timeout period after 3x failed attempts to log in.

Back