Want to become a "Gamer" Need Help

Epyon

[H]ard|Gawd
I gave up on gaming many years ago due to a shitty PC and zero video cards. No idea were to start.

*Best place to buy games?
*What games other then sport or MMO games do you think are good?
*What Controller works with Win 10 pro and is good?

I hit google for top games and 2 that i think i would like control and CP 2077 did not even show up so I am asking what other games might be good as of 3 years ago or more that just are not listed any more but were fun.

Falcon Northwest
2x 3080 10GB LHR (3d rendering)
Z690 Hero Wifi
12900KF
64GB DDR 5 5200mhz
2TB 980 Pro
2TB 980 Pro (From my old system)

Computer should ship by the end of this week.

Let's just turn this into a totally underrated single-player games that you can play on any modern PC thread right now even on integrated graphics.

#5: Prey (2006)

#4: Far Cry 2

#3: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

#2: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II

...Drumroll...

#1: Jade Empire

Grab free games weekly from Epic Games, and monthly from Amazon if you have prime, intermittently from gog.com, and sometimes from Steam. In a couple months you'll have a backlog too big to go through.

Damn I for got about the star wars games

Fuck 'em, play Jade Empire first.

I'm not even kidding. That game is why everyone said Dragon Age was good. Dragon Age sucked. They were just giving the team late credit after the fact for Jade Empire.

For single player games I think these are worth trying. Some I really enjoyed, some I thought were just okay but high profile releases:

Mass Effect Legendary Edition (ME1-3)
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Cyberpunk 2077 - maybe wait until the story DLC hits next year?
Horizon Zero Dawn
Metro 2033
Metro Last Light
Metro Exodus
Far Cry 3
Far Cry 4
Far Cry 5/New Dawn (these aren't as good as the former two)
Red Dead Redemption 2
Tomb Raider 2013
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (not as good as the first two, but end of the trilogy)
Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeros
Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain (GZ is essentially the short prequel)
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
Sleeping Dogs
Mad Max
Dishonored
Dishonored 2
Dishonored Death of the Outsider
Just Cause 3 (skip 4 unless you end up loving this game)
Grand Theft Auto 5
Watch Dogs
Watch Dogs 2
Death Stranding
Days Gone
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty WWII
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Witcher 3
Fallout 4
NieR - Automata Game of the Yorha Edition
Borderlands
Borderlands 2
Borderlands The Pre Sequel
Borderlands 3
Crysis Remastered (actually has some downgrades compared to the original)
Crysis 2 Remastered
Crysis 3 Remastered
Mirror's Edge
Mirror's Edge - Catalyst
Rage 2
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Resident Evil 7
Resident Evil 8
Star Wars Jedi - Fallen Order
The Evil Within
The Evil Within 2
Gears 4
Gears 5
Detroit - Become Human
Sniper Elite 4

Assassin's Creed series - These are a bit of a mix. I liked the story, adventure and setting of Black Flag but things like stealth and controls were bad. Rogue was very good. Assassin's Creed Unity was well rounded. Syndicate was well done but had a bad story and repetitive side quests. Origins was drawn out. Valhalla very drawn out, but passable.

For older games that are rough, but can be enhanced with mods:

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl
STALKER Clear Sky
STALKER Call of Pripyat
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas

Only suggesting things I've played. There is Far Cry 6 which is apparently better than 5 but I have yet to play that as an example.

This is a treasure. You've been here since 2001 and you haven't played two decades worth of games! You better keep us posted.

What's the last game you played? What category are you looking to play - FPS multiplayer, FPS singleplayer, RPG, etc? There are lots of great games recommended above which I never touched because they just aren't for me. With a PC as powerful as yours, don't forget there are terrific emulators. In particular, look into Dolphin.

If I had to pick one modern game I highly recommend playing It Takes Two with a partner or friend all the way through. Probably the best "campaign" style game I've played in years, polished from beginning to end.

And Age of Empires 2 DE!

Titanfall 2 was the best Call of Duty game

Otherwise this will give you an idea of what's popular this past month/year for multiplayer
https://steamcharts.com/

Reactions: Axman
like this
Well I spend a lot of time offshore and when I come in I have things to do as well but I like to relax go ride my motorcycle the last two games I’ve played on PS4 the new Final Fantasy game and Scarlet Nexus which I did not complete but I might have to start over because I forgot how to play it

The Epic launcher has Free games every week well worth waiting every Thursday to pick them up.
Epic gave away games like:
Alien Isolation
Batman Series
Vampyr
Control
Rage 2
Kingdomcome Deliverance
Just Cause 3

Wait wait! Is the OP's parts list not have 2X3080's? For rendering?
64GB DDR5? WTF!
Did no one give a fuck and start ranting on their fav games?

Sorry peeps but OP is being taken for the fool they are and no one said shit! Really?

Wait wait! Is the OP's parts list not have 2X3080's? For rendering?
64GB DDR5? WTF!
Did no one give a fuck and start ranting on their fav games?

Sorry peeps but OP is being taken for the fool they are and no one said shit! Really?

Yeah that is a expensive system I bet =)
I don't think anyone needs two cards for 3-D rendering the Ram might pay off though.
Can you even link 3080s I know 3090s you can or 3090tis.

Last edited:
Yeah that is a expensive system I bet =)
I don't think anyone needs two cards for 3-D rendering the Ram might pay off though.
Can you even link 3080s I know 3090s you can or 3090tis.
You don't have to link them for rendering workloads. I'm assuming whatever rendering software he's using can split the workload between multiple cards anyways (like mining), or he may just have 2+ separate jobs to allocate to individual GPUs as well.

Though I'd be curious as to how much faster 2x 3080s would be over a 3090/ti for rendering, as I would prefer to have a single card for lower power consumption and software compatibility or simplicities sake, and have that much more performance in games as well since the 2nd 3080 would be useless for it. But it really depends on what the primary duty of the PC will be; gaming or rendering, then choose the GPU setup based on that (as I'm sure OP has already done and considered the above).

Correct red shift does not need nv link. When it comes time to render just having the second card is almost a 50% decrease in time

you want to become a pro gamer or just a normal gamer? if you want to be pro good luck, a normal gamer just install any games and you are a gamer.

If you don't have any idea what you like OP it's hard to recommend stuff. Witcher 3, Prey, Bioshock (1-3), Divinity OS2, Halo (remasters), Ori (1 or 2), Talos principle to name a few from various genres.

Correct red shift does not need nv link. When it comes time to render just having the second card is almost a 50% decrease in time
How's that compared to a 3090 though? Or maybe compared to a 3090 + 3060ti or something so you can have the best of both worlds; faster game performance and about the same rendering performance and maybe slightly less power draw than 2x 3080s.

8:54 for your time stamp he has a lot of other video as well that you should watch. oh cool the time is in the video when i linked.

I recently got a controller for the first time and found that I really suck at using a controller, so I just use it to play Trackmania. Under kill for OPs build, but it's a good distraction to remind me that I have other things to do.

How's that compared to a 3090 though? Or maybe compared to a 3090 + 3060ti or something so you can have the best of both worlds; faster game performance and about the same rendering performance and maybe slightly less power draw than 2x 3080s.
For some workload you can have 100% increase:

Hardware-redshift-irender-02.jpg

And be much faster than a single 3090, Octane has well:
https://irendering.net/compare-multi-gpu-scaling-in-octane-vray-redshift/
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Redshift-2-6-11-Multi-GPU-Performance-Scaling-1181/

Back