Want some Dreamcast Info

So I've been on the forum for over a year now and I always hear people talking about how great the Dreamcast was. I never got one because I was happy with my Playstation at the time, but recently I've realized that I pretty much missed out on a whole generation of games because I didn't have a DC or an N64. I've already found a bunch of games on the N64 that have been worth buying (which I've been getting off of eBay and other places), but I can't seem to find anything that was really worthwhile on the DC.

So my question is, what are the really great games for the DC that I missed out on and can't get anywhere else? I've done some research on IGN.com and other places and it seems that the main strength of the DC was fighting games, which isn't exactly my cup of tea. Neither are the Sonic games. Is there anything that is an absolute necessity on that system that can't be found anywhere else?

Sonis Adventure was a stellar 3D platformer. The others weren't so great.

What sort of games do you like?

pr0pensity said:
Sonis Adventure was a stellar 3D platformer. The others weren't so great.

What sort of games do you like?

I mostly like RPG, strategy RPG, RTS, and puzzle games. My favorite game is Final Fantasy Tactics, but I also really like other games like Battalion Wars, Wetrix, Halo 2, the great FPS games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, and others as well. I mainly want to know what the most unique and fun games are for the DC because it's hard to sift through rating websites.

edit: Bleahahahahaha!! Post number Six Hundred Sixty Six!!! HISSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Grandia II was best on DC, and so was Skies of arcadia. oh yeah, SHENMUE <--one of the best games ever. I have over 150 real DC games, it's my favorite console ever, I'll try to make a list later.

Off the top of my head, excluding 2D fighters (which are some of my faves)...

Crazy Taxi
Powerstone
Bangai-O
Ikaruga
Jet Grind Radio
Chu Chu Rocket (quite possibly the best party game ever)
Sega Swirl
Rush 2049 (way better than N64 version)
Gauntlet (better than N64 version)

Samba de Amigo is supposed to be awesome too..

I know there are more, having a brain fart atm

ScreamingBroccoli said:
Grandia II was best on DC, and so was Skies of arcadia. oh yeah, SHENMUE <--one of the best games ever. I have over 150 real DC games, it's my favorite console ever, I'll try to make a list later.

QFT, Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia were so great. They rereleased Grandia II for PS2 and PC but the port was so crappy nobody bought it (turns out the PS2 wasn't all that much more powerful than the Dreamcast despite Sony's claims, as it would lag horribly whenever transparent effects were put into battles. Solution? Get rid of the transparent effects that were originally in the Dreamcast version)

Plus, the PS2 version glitched all over the place for random reasons.

not a must have but fun to play with your friends

revolt
ufc
DOA

ScreamingBroccoli said:

QFT skies of arcadia is awesome...one of my favorite RPG's of all time. Take that, FF7!

Oh, and Bangai-O :D

Shenmue
Soul Calibur
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Steet Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
Power Stone 1&2
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia 2
ikaruga
Samba De Amigo
Rez
Jet Grind Radio

just to name a few

Don't forget Bleemcast; play Gran Tursimo 2 and Metal Gear Solid on your DC with some serious graphical clean-up.

Some damn fine games were: Crazy Taxi, Power Stone, Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, &the 2K series of sports games.

marvel vs. capcom and capcom vs. SNK , soul caliber, powerstone, zombie revenge, hydro thunder......

Jet Grind Radio
Space Channel 5
Chu-chu Rocket
ReVolt (More cars than the PC or N64 versions)

I got my Dreamcast when Gamestop was trying to get rid of them and had a huge sale a few years back. I ended up getting all the hardware and all the games I wanted for $30.

I have a DreamCast just for Crazy Taxi. All the other top notch games are just a plus!

Street Fighter Alpha 3
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Power Stone
Powerstone 2
Soul Calibur
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Super Robot Wars
Hydro Thunder
Ikaruga
Trizeal
Mars Matrix
Chaos Field
Zero Gunner
Psyvariar 2
Border Down
Raystorm
Gunbird
Gunbird 2
Gigawing
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Garou: Mark Of The Wolves
Twinkle Star Sprites
Shenmue
Dino Crisis
Last Blade 2
Tech Romancer

Now that I think about it, I took my DC to a friends house to play some SF2 vs Marvel and he had the PS2 version of it and boy, was I impress with the DC version. The PS2 version had less detail in the animation and such then the DC version. It also glitch some. After that day, my friend went off and bought a DC and Marvel VS SF2. It was great day.

If you can find it Head Hunter was a pretty cool game. I dont think it was ever released in the states, only in europe though so it would have to be an imported copy.

Erasmus354 said:
If you can find it Head Hunter was a pretty cool game. I dont think it was ever released in the states, only in europe though so it would have to be an imported copy.

Totally forgot about that gem. Frickin awesome game. Definately worth a look.

Sega: Bass Fishing is fun to me... just cause it can be competive sorta.. who can catch the biggest fish. Plus people have already named some awesome games.

You might want to consider a dreamcast vga adapter to play the games on a pc monitor it makes the games look SO MUCH sharper the image quality on a TV is garbage. I have mine hooked up to my old 19" NEC and a pair of the old Bose Media mates. The adapter can be bought on ebay for cheap.
:)Dreamcast gaming bliss:)

Danger: Seaman. In addition to having a title that is fun to say, it is a really unique and pretty cool game.

Tetrahedron said:
Sega: Bass Fishing is fun to me... just cause it can be competive sorta.. who can catch the biggest fish. Plus people have already named some awesome games.
OMFG, Sega Marine Fishing pwns it , with beutifull clear blue tropical waters, and a big variety of ocean fishys. I have Sega Bass Fishing, Sega Bass Fishing 2 (much more sim oriented) Sega Marine Fishing, and a Sega fishing rod. I've got 3 dreamcasts (one launch unit, one used from EB games and one I got at a yard sale for 5$) a pile of accessories (including a broadband adapter) and over 60 games for DC. I even have a Sega Dreamcast t-shirt and a big black Sega Dreamcast banner I ripped off the wall at Ozfest, back in the day. I rule!

I'm still angry that the whole PS2 hype thing killed off the DC even though they were about even hardware wise.

Yea the PS2 is so powerfull they use it in missile guidance...

Damn you Sony!

IceDigger said:
I'm still angry that the whole PS2 hype thing killed off the DC even though they were about even hardware wise.

Yea the PS2 is so powerfull they use it in missile guidance...

Damn you Sony!

LOL, I remember that. Supposedly Saddam Hussein was looking into getting PS2s to use on his missles because they were "so powerful" ...yeah right, Sony.

PS2 actually has less RAM than the Dreamcast although it does have a faster core clock. Wow, what a dramatic difference :rolleyes:. The Dreamcast's SH4 was actually a much more efficient processor than Sony's "emotion engine" anyway. And the fact that Dreamcast had 8MB of video memory and the PS2 has 4MB was really shown in the fact that DC to PS2 ports (like Grandia II) suddenly had really crappy washed-out textures when before on DC they were pretty good.

recently released game for DC called Under Defeat, imho has some of the best graphics to date on the DC, YMMV. If you like vertical shooters, this is a must have(expensive import, but worth every penny for a true collector).

NIVO said:
recently released game for DC called Under Defeat, imho has some of the best graphics to date on the DC, YMMV. If you like vertical shooters, this is a must have(expensive import, but worth every penny for a true collector).

I am that true collector.

*heads over to Play-Asia.com*

Back